Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

kastein posted:

This is where I say (again) that my favorite aircraft engine of all time is the Junkers Jumo 205... a 6 cylinder, 12 piston, 2 stroke, supercharged, dual crankshaft opposed-piston aircraft diesel.

No valves, no head gaskets, gear-driven timing, weighed 1300lbs and made 870hp - in the 40s. The accessories were all run off the slave crankshaft which had the added benefit of significantly reducing the power the timing gears had to handle.

I am unreasonably fanboyish about this engine design :swoon:

Christ that sounds like the most German engine ever. There is a BMW engineer with a cutaway of this engine hung on his wall with the caption "Perfection" or some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

*sniff* It's beautiful! Perfect, even.

Anyway, I'd love to see more and more aero diesels start powering the GA fleet. Avgas is dead and anyone seriously thinking of dropping 25-30k on a shiny new big bore flat six without looking at some kind of re-engine program is being incredibly short-sighted.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

whoa whoa whoa. PLEASE tell me this isn't something that needs doing often. Swear to god if that gutless 5-cylinder boat anchor costs me any more money. :argh:

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

No, it doesn't.