Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008
My brother drove my '96 Caravan down a street that was flooded with 3 feet of water.

resulted in a bent rod and a busted oxygen sensor.

an awesome video of a more dramatic failure-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcJslNsgM2c&feature=related

a tractor blows off the side of it's block during a tractor pull

Drheat fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008

Boat posted:

Yeah on the long drive home from PA to FL last week, we pulled up on a semi whose rearmost passenger side trailer wheel was glowing orange and throwing sparks.

I'm guessing a really really shot wheel bearing, but I didn't hang out behind the thing long enough to find out. :supaburn:

One of my dads friends saw this same thing in Wisconsin so he pulled up next to the cab and signaled for the truck driver to pull over. The truck started to pull on the shoulder and as soon as the wheel in question hit the rumble strip on the side of the highway it flew off and totaled my dad's friend's Volkswagen Passat. The wheel hit the rear hatch with enough force to bend the A-pillars on either side of the windshield. The whole back of the car was bend up about a foot and a half and none of the doors worked.

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Heh, in a fire scenario that *is* a lot of phosgene now that I think of it...

The formation of phosgene requires the presence of chlorine, which is absent from the 134a molecule :science:

Still, that much refrigerant in one spot is dangerous due to the risk of suffocation if there were a massive leak. A facility like that should have a refrigerant detector to alert occupants in the event of a leak. The detectors are often wired to exhaust fans, which are activated when the alarm goes off.

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My favorite days on SRTForums where people revving past the normal 6k redline (bad misshift or standalone engine management) on the stock modular clutch. All the rivets sheer off and punch through everything. Happened a few times a month it seemed.

Ahhh kids. :allears:

like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9TX82c2VI

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

Perhaps, but what good is the fix when the rusted metal that the strut bolts to finishes rotting away and the strut is just flopping around in there. I did some reading and apparently Chrysler has their own repair plate that is hi-strength epoxied in and the rivets are just for clamping power while it sets up. What Chrysler's looks like I don't know but Doorman's looks rather flawed in that regard. I guess if they are concerned about liability why make it in the first place?

The Mopar kit comes with identical pieces and some high strength glue. I installed it on my '96 caravan about 7 years ago at around 200,000 miles. I wasn't so sure about that glue so i put about 20 1/4" self drilling screws in each one. I then coated the underside of the towers with 1 can of spray undercoating per side. the van now has 317,000 miles and the towers are fine so it appeared to work.