Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I like this thread too much to let it die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632-6Y8jJ2I
Was this staged?

Apparently this is quite common for BMW R100 engines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gas mowers are ecological terrerism man! I've been using one of these since high school!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DELETED posted:

It's very sudden, let me see if I can find the video

E:
<Crushing tanker video>

From the related videos I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWeZ1YPI88

More horrible corporate failure, but quite chilling nonetheless.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Trying to read the FHP report, but references to Cpl. Mark Weber are giving my F1 loving brain fits.

Weird.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Courtesy Top Gear "fail file"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXQNpGmK5Qs

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's not how you move a thread on, this is:

Hey, look at this tool who is crying on the kia forums about his unmaintained kia engine is crap and Toyota is sooo much better.

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2g-2001-2005-rio/33188-federal-suit-interference-engine.html

warning: I only found this image by GISing "interference engine" kia-forums.com is pretty slow, and rather poo poo.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fire Storm posted:

Wow, all this transmission talk reminds me of my family's old 1989 Ford Aerostar. I think it ended up needing trans work every 60-75K miles (I can't remember exactly what, that was drat near 20 years ago). After the 3rd or 4th trans work, my dad decided to get a new Aerostar (I wanna say a 94), which lasted nearly a year before a motorcycle t-boned it and the insurance company ended up writing it off (I was told because it was worth more in parts than its blue book value or something).

I'm expecting my 02 Focus to be having transmission problems any day now that I am approaching 150k miles.

My Dad`s `89 Aerostar went through at least 3 transmissions and an engine before he sold it. Of course we hauled a solid body trailer behind it and taught 3 kids to drive in it.

He finally got rid of it when the hood latch let go on the highway.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I missed it by a few pages but for whoever was asking about how long you can go on a single synthetic oil change, here's a mobil 1 study on the first 18000 miles.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

revmoo posted:

Wow I just looked up the neon crash test. This is 40mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N13KOM1OpFY

This is my e36 from a similar year range (early 90s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8CjyFj1tWo

Airbags would have helped but the passenger compartment stays intact.

Yes that would be what your $30000 were paying for.

Fact of the matter is people who bought the G1 Neon got them because they were better looking, more powerful, and cheaper than the Japanese and domestic compacts of the time.

People who bought a G2 Neon were dumb though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, but here's a civic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4yIjT83kA

Neon doesn't look too bad suddenly

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

I got smacked by an 18 wheeler in one of those Civics 5 years ago (2 door though).

Walked away with some bruises, a few cuts from broken glass, and some nasty whiplash. I was really impressed with how well it held up to be honest, the drivers side door (where I was hit) even opened and closed fine.

Yeah my point was more about comparing an early 90s compact to another early 90s compact not a German luxury car or an Italian Supercar.

And if you got the Neon in 2 door with a 5 speed and DOHC engine (1st gen obviously) you got a pretty racy shitbox.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Blackdawgg posted:

Stop or I'll grenade my transmission!

One grenaded SHO tranny coming right up!

http://www.streetfire.net/video/turbosho-destroyed-transmission_192268.htm

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Silverwood?

Snoopy finally got his I guess

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Leftovers get scrapped and no one is the wiser.

Yes. No will the notice the videos you post to the internet.

mum's the word, eh guv? :ssh:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Consumer Reports says that they had handling issues with the CRD (?) powered Grand Cherokee as well, but the V8 one worked fine. Also, a re-flash of the stability control resolved their problem.

It really does look like a software/active suspension issue. It's not body rolling, it's hopping around the lane change. It's weird (and not reproducible outside that facility either).

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/08/jeep-grand-cherokee-survives-different-european-moose-test.html

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yeah, but is that the one they were testing? Is there even a gasoline V6 available in Europe?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Tiff's voice is still annoying as all gently caress.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Awful. That's the reason for the lack of work on my Opel for the last few weeks. Replaced a leaking wheel cylinder, had to remove most of the interior to replace a stuck parking brake cable (they ran the cables under the drat carpet), replaced a door handle assembly a minute ago, and should be replacing all of the brake lines today. Replaced most of the front suspension a few months ago which involved cutting and welding parts of the frame due to captive nuts not being captive any more.

This is all on a 2002 Accent with only 45k on the clock.

E: Window crank handle broke off, fml

The quality difference between early 2000s Kia/Hyundai and later is mind-blowing. My friend bought a 2005 with low Kms and blew up the engine within a week. The dealer gave him a deal on a 2007, and the fit and general feeling of sturdiness is like night and day.

I'm not saying recent Kias are GOOD, but I'm not sure you can use a 12 year old car to judge.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sudo Echo posted:

Sockington could still fix this, right?

All I can do is stare in mute horror. It's an image that keeps giving. One of the keys has a washer on top of the key. It's a washer designed to tie down plywood I think. The screws are wood screws. He decided it would be OK to put driving forces on that thing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Why did he have his drill in reverse while drilling?

edit: spoke to soon, I see it now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

11BulletCatcher posted:

I was fortunate once not to set a truck on fire when I used speaker wire to jump a battery while I was holding both the battery and the wire. BUUUUTTTTTT no one wanted to lend me jumper cables and it was my only option... Turns out you CAN jump a car with speaker wire but you'd better wear gloves cause that poo poo gets hot.

My dad tried that with UPS batteries and alligator clips.

We stopped when the smoke started.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, they land loaded semi trucks on a moving road. Well, they used too when the F-14's flew. Still the loaded weights are more than my tare weight and I sure as gently caress don't want to fly my loving truck (again) and crash it onto a moving road.

And they do this over and over and over...

Sometimes they do it at night!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

This video was posted the last time someone mentioned lockwire so I just felt like posting it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxHQXYU-Os&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"This is the main thrust bearing, it's important not to contaminate this with anything! It's like working over your open eyeball"

Immediately drops a screwdriver on main thrust bearing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I've seen people with their vehicles left more off the road than on because they hit a curb so hard. I've seen one high centered on a decorative boulder this way :stare:
My biggest fear when winter driving is hitting a curb while trying to make a turn, ie with the wheels turned. Also, if you've never done it, mucking around in curb lanes or parking lots that haven't been cleared sometimes makes a vehicle jump what feels like a foot to the side. It's fun in a Laser, it's quite a ride in a minivan.

And since winter driving has been on my mind this week, I had the fun of trying to pull into a free flow lane only to discover that not only had no one cleared the free flow lane but had pushed the snow from the 3 other lanes into it. And there was a Semi in the lane next to me. That was embarasing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If an allen screw is not too stripped, I always pull out my torx set first. Nice sharp teeth there.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There are 2 kinds of Subaru drivers, pot smokers and meth smokers (smokers? How does one imbibe meth?)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, some budget cars (Toyota Corolla, etc) have more personality than the expensive luxurydouchemobiles do. There's an odd quirkyness that comes from trying to do things excessively well, but on a very tight budget. Quintuple-use armrest/"oh poo poo" handles/door handles/umbrella holders/ashtrays do require a bit of design forethought, and sometimes it's things like that giving cars more personality than a slab of wood or carbon fiber over a designed-by-robots-in-helvetica stereo/nav system button grid.

No argument here, but he's talking about Toyota's mass market sedans which are built to be inoffensive to as many people as possible. No risks allowed. It's the definition of automotive appliance, and it sells a lot of cars. But no one's going to get enthusiastic about it...

German luxobarges at least are able to have stupid engines and ridiculous gearboxes in them, sometimes.

edit: By the way, it's been awhile since someone posted a horrible mechanical failure. I'm gonna look for something stupid on my phone. I might still have one or two.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 2, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Double Posting like a Rebel.

There's one thing I can tell you about EZouts...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

d'awwww, look at the frowny face!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

If you look at most modern F1 crashes, you will see that the wheels will separate but there will be a tether that ties them to the car so they don't fly into a crowd and kill a few dozen people.

As for what happened with that car: Adrian Newey. Adrian Newey happened.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Savington posted:

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, you could have used the Torro Rosso that had no effect on the race.

It was a better explosion anyways

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I love the fact that Airliner manufacturers are just assuming someone is going to fly a plane with 100% worn brakes, broken wheel fuses, and overloaded (sometimes all of the above) and making sure no one gets killed.

I wonder if they design engine mounts to sheer gracefully if someone has installed them with a forklift.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I loooove those rain-to-snow transitions we get where you have to brush off 3 inches of snow to get at the 1" of ice on your windows.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Amykinz posted:

I'm linking this because it's kinda gory, but my husband managed to have his hand slip into a running power steering belt yesterday at work. I'm honestly surprised it's not a LOT worse.

He doesn't wear his ring at work does he?

I guess giving up your finger for love is pretty romantic

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

Hollow Icepick if you are man enough.

But because of vids like this I would shoot it from waaaaaay back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0e0oSUi4SU

Just a friendly reminder that the jerk bleeds profusely at the end, technically it :nms:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Or from the grassy knoll.

That's not a very nice thing to call her!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

This. You never see any retired painters.

I had a friend who used to paint cars and ended up leaving the business because the Sikkens they used was working it's way through his safety equipment and causing allergic reactions.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

if you're going to stand next to the tire to pop it, why not try the valve stem?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

stuxracer posted:

The report for it (linked in video) says this was like 100% pilot error and had nothing to do with sea water.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....464_02aug02.pdf

Well the report says the pilot "suffered cognitive failure" which is now my new term for "had a massive brain fart"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Huggable Bear King posted:

yeah how long does a transmission last in a race car? Like two races and it's done?

Well the Audi ones need to last for 24h straight racing. And then they throw them out.