Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This thread is surprisingly awesome.

Here's the infamous Furze video where you get to see an engine run with no head. Educational!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvgISVHak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, what are the chances of that happening? It looks like it brought some hot engine oil along with it, judging from how it splashed against the drywall as it ruptured through the house.

What would you even change on the engine to withstand something like that? That's gotta be a shitload of force to move a piston that weighs almost 100lb that far.

Am I right in assuming it was the cause of poor maintenance? Those bolts should have been checked and retorqued to make sure the thread wasn't wearing on them.

edit: Man, I wonder what it sounded like to whoever was inside the house at the time.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 28, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder if I can adapt his business model and start a company that properly exercises expensive cars for rich motherfuckers who are too busy running banks, etc in order to drive all of their gorgeous classics enough.

"I assure you, I'm very thorough."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Little bit from the latest MRT Performance newsletter; why not to drop the clutch at 8.5k. Almost pedestrian for this thread.

Not sure what part of the car this last picture is of.. looks like there's some steering bits here, so my guess is that it cleaved through an exhaust pipe and took out part of the body?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, am I looking at that right? The detonation was so bad the flame front travelled up the intake valve and scorched the throttle body?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

The woman who *gets out of her car* at 0:25 (I guess because she thinks it will explode when it slides into another car at ~12mph) is potentially the stupidest person on the entire planet.
I dunno, the guy shortly after that who jumps out of the passenger side and is clearly trying to slow the car down Flintstones style by holding onto the door is a close second if not the winner.

e: fb

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

el topo posted:

Also why do people think that they need to use more power when their tires lose grip? What you want to do is shift to a higher gear and use less revs, that limits the torque that's sent to the wheels and reduces the chance of spin. Of course I grew up in a place that has proper winters every year, maybe that's why I know that...
We have bone-chilling semi-lethal winters every year and everyone still does the "CAR NOT GO? ADD MORE GAS" method of winter driving.

As for "gears," I had a lot of conversations with people around the time that Toyotas were trying to kill their unfortunate drivers during which it was revealed most of them had no idea what the "N" on their automatic transmission selector stood for. The concept of gearing and trading torque for speed is probably a subject that is beyond most drivers' education here.

If I had a nickel for every time I drive down a nice snowy road, brake gently for an intersection and then hit a slick of ice 3 inches from the crosswalk from some retard burning out the 15 year old all seasons on their loving Caravan I'd be rich enough to live somewhere better.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 11, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not really a mechanical failure but I'm pretty sure our free Z31 just became much less free. :smith:

Good thing we're not making a show car.

Also a good thing the timing belt didn't snap in transit:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have a Black & Decker "Rotary Tool" and it's excellent. It was around half the price but is compatible with all the Dremel discs, etc.

My favourite use so far is as a headlight polisher.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

peepsalot posted:

but I'm not really an expert on engine carnage. I'm just a software developer that works in a car shop, heh.
What's the story here? Are you an embedded developer doing ecu stuff or something else?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw a 929 do that once, but it was a ball joint that sheared along the pin.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

Dear lord wtf am I doing wrong?! These only have like 20K on them.
What car is it? I can't seem to figure it out from a brief stalk of your post history.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A few years ago a neighbor of mine destroyed the balljoint on his Mazda 929 leaving our alley, so for a few hours we got to see it blocking the entrance to our alley with a crude handwritten sign saying "CAR SICK :( DO NOT MOVE" until the police forced him to summon a tow truck and take it to Canadian Tire.

It had some amazing demon camber on that left front wheel though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

grover posted:

If propane is such a great refrigerant, why don't we use it instead of R-134a?
Won't it ruin the environment? It was popular for awhile in the 90s as R12 was really getting phased out and R134a wasn't quite there yet (oils were wrong or something).

If I had to guess, the safest solution would be to blend propane with something else, but I don't know what kind of pressures R12 systems run as I've never serviced one.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 2, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, I always figured school buses were really flimsy and would just blow apart on a rear end impact like a box truck. They must build those things on one hell of a frame.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's amazing how flimsy those control arms are once you shove a shitload of lateral force through them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

3 months @ 15' sideways, over 3500 cars crushed. I remember reading that in either natgeo or new scientist back when.
It was probably Wired.

The Race to Save the Cougar Ace
A Crushing Issue: How to Destroy Brand-New Cars

quote:

Little things make a big difference. For instance, most of the cars have six airbags, and discharging them individually (forcing them to inflate so they can't be resold) takes about five minutes apiece -- or a total of a half-hour per car. So engineers back at Mazda's headquarters, in Hiroshima, fashioned a device that can discharge all six at once.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm curious about what happens when you contaminate the fuel with it directly. Obviously the exhaust becomes a little bit toxic, but I'm sure a smart goon can figure out how to get around that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Black88GTA posted:

How something like this made it all the way from concept to actual product for sale to consumers without someone along the way going :raise: and then saying "uh, hey, guys, maybe this isn't such a good idea" is just a complete mindfuck. :psyduck:
I feel really bad for anyone who tried to put that poo poo out with water.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't see the guy jumping up and grabbing onto the cable before the helicopter crashes in the last video posted. Which guy is it?

edit: Wait, I see him now (black shirt, partially obscured by the guys standing there). He really reefs on it. Surprised he's alive.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 6, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

You can't get the car checked out under the recall and then have them give it back to you until the parts come in to repair the damage? If not ask very nicely for an equivalent free loaner/rental car due to the obvious safety concerns.
From what I understand from talking to people at dealerships, the control arm test is destructive (hit it with a punch to see if it breaks). If your control arms need replacement (as opposed to being sprayed down with rust killer), they have rusted enough that their structure is compromised and the dealer probably doesn't want you driving around on them after their mechanic has made it worse as part of the test.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 9, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Petekill posted:

What exactly is going on here? I just bought an 06 SE-R recently, is this something I should be concerned about?
It looks like to me that the cats are incredibly clogged. Eventually, exhaust pressure building up in front of the cat will break it free of the exhaust and (knowing modern Nissan) probably suck in fragments of the cat material directly into some expensive part of the engine. Subaru had a similar problem with the 02-05 WRX where the up-pipe to the turbo had a cat which would let go and destroy the turbo.

Think of it like shoving a wad of chewing gum into the end of a pressure washer, then point the pressure washer directly at your eye.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 29, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

maybe it's not such a good idea to use cheap knock-off suspension and steering parts:

I thought Formula D didn't start until tomorrow. They're already racking up casualties in the test day?

edit: Looks like it's streaming on MotoIQ right now, so I guess it's on now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I didn't realize bats came that small. All I've ever hit are little birds. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think that's the first time I've seen one window both sides of the block.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You have a paved junkyard?

Does someone hold your hand, keep a parasol over your fair skin and do your nails after removing the part for you as well?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

It remains a mystery. Dude didn't seem to have any idea what so ever of what caused it. He wanted to know if that would cause his pull :psyduck:
Does he have any enemies?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

I'm going to volunteer to sound stupid - half cemented block?
Almost literally what you think it is. It's filling up part of the block with cement to make it resist distortion (sort of like a closed deck block, but on crack).

They also used to call them "hard blocks" or "filled blocks." Old school drag-strip tech.

e: I think they usually pour it into the coolant passages, so a half cemented block would be halfway to the head with cement.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Observe Tommi Makinen doing the same, and giving a sum total of zero shits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60b0O9VnKEE

Warwickshire Constabulary were less than impressed.
Loeb did the same thing recently during a transit, including running from the police when they took too long to write him a ticket.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

grover posted:

That seems fine if the two engines/transmissions are identical, but how would you handle it if your engines were running at different rpms and different shift points? Link 'em anyhow, and shift both whenever the lesser of the two hits redline?
The Car & Driver(?) twin engined CRX had no synchronization between the two engines; two automatic transmissions and then the road took care of the rest of it.

Think of the through-the-road hybrid cars that are coming out nowadays.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How did it smell?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Check out this Hotchkis article for empirical validation that hollow swaybars are much lighter weight and almost as stiff as a solid swaybar of a similar diameter.

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/hollow_vs_solidinstructions162file.pdf

quote:

Okay, lets illustrate the tire example. Let’s say,
we have a rotating wheel and it takes 1000 lbs of
torque (rotating resistance) to stop it from rotating.
If the you try to stop the wheel rotating at the
outside, let’s say 10” diameter. The equation for
torque is T = Force x Radius, so to apply the 1000
lbs of torque, you have to put 100 lbs of force on the
tread. Next, try to stop the same wheel, but at the
lug nuts, say 4”, you have to apply 250 lbs of force!
That’s quite a significant increase, so you’re better
off using the tread. This is the same basic principle
used in hollow sway bar theory.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The 4B11 in the Evo X is pretty burly. Here's one that reportedly lost a plug, then got towed by the rear wheels on a highway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
imgur's pool for "just rolled into the shop" has some really interesting failures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

For you guys saying gear oil stinks, ever smell a transmission thats been running on coolant?

How does that even happen? Seriously hosed tranny cooler?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good thing too, fire hydrants are pricey as hell to replace.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Copied from the nasioc mechanic bitching thread:

That's all of 'em!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Just make an account an unsubscribe from everything except /r/justrolledintotheshop, etc. Makes it a much nicer place.

Or just do what I do and subscribe to the imgur RSS for it: http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop

You only have to touch reddit if you want to see the comments for an image, which hopefully you never feel the urge to do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Plus those are all fires in the back of the car. This is for a fire in the front of the car. It's dangerous because you can't see through a front fire to continue driving, unlike a rear fire, and a pedestrian may be injured during what would otherwise be normal operation.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Your friend wouldn't happen to be this guy, wouldn't he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDq3egJuQWk
I'm only up to about 6 minutes but why has this guy not pulled over and let the loving thing cool down a bit before going again?

Furthermore, why does he stay in the goddamn left lane as he's going 20 under the limit aaagh