Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

`Nemesis posted:

It’s a bit of metal in the transmission that locks the gears when in park, it’s expensive to fix at a shop but really just cause you’ll have to drop the transmission and take it apart a bit.

Even so, it's usually a really beefy part. On a Ford truck transmission, it's like half an inch thick. I wonder what it looks like inside the Prius transaxle or if they even use one in lieu of some kind of ratcheting tooth setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Every spring and fall, you can drive along the highway and see cars here missing at least one wheel after a failed winter/summer tire swap. I don't think the average person even knows they have to torque wheels, versus "crank on it real hard."

I gave my dad my old torque wrench after he snapped off a stud on my mom's car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Man I still remember swapping parts on Jeeps with my buddy who worked at bestbuy in the parking garage of the greendale mall in Worcester, a few times we each had to have the other go and scrounge parts out of our collections of yard junk and bring it back to fix the jeep :haw:

We never got in trouble because, well, he worked there...

When I lived in a condo with only outdoor parking, I would do some repairs in the heated underground parkade of the nearby shopping mall. In order to distract the mall security, I had a Holt Renfrew shopping bag that I would place on the trunk while I was working, so they'd think I just got a flat tire while shopping and had to change it there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

Dang you guys really like talking about vans.

Vans are the new real estate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Crunchy Black posted:

jesus loving christ

and I thought finding out about the biker wars would be the craziest, dumbest thing I learned about Canada today

Did you know about the tow truck wars?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

On my '65 Fury, the ends of driver's side lugs were stamped with an "L"

The '66 Coronet failed its first inspection because the service writer at Federally-Mandated Foreign Car Inspection Expert Canadian Tire (who asserted he "knew Mopars" and had a fahv hunnert horsepower Challenger) did not pass that information on to the actual workers, who ugga dugga snapped a good percentage of the lug studs on the drivers' side.

I can understand snapping one, even two... but at some point "drat, all these lug nuts can't be seized" has to pass through your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

80% freaking the gently caress out because somewhere in their database it said that the car was manufactured at a Ford plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, and they absolutely knew that I couldn't import MEXICAN CARS into Canada even though it was clearly a USDM model and I had the original Ohio title in hand.

It's easier to import cars from Mexico with RIV than it is from the US, too.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 22, 2021