Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah a 1 story building rumbling when trains go by is not even comparable to a 90 story one where the water in the toilets sloshes around at the top. That's loving disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I love the titles on the objects. "Specified bolt" "Incongruous bolt" A sort of Victorian way of saying RIGHT and WRONG.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A wheel balancing thing? Are those really that dangerous?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Malicious intent but not very good follow through.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Man, you guys got some lovely cars or something. I live in the northeast where it gets down to -10 a bunch of times every winter. Never had a car that refused to clutch or refused to go into first or any of that poo poo. Just start up and go.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

There's a guy in Cycle Asylum, can't remember who, that was posting about his Aprilia motorcycle, which won't start at exactly 0 degrees Celsius. Above or below freezing it's fine, but apparently there's a bug with the ambient-temperature thermometer that prevents the electronics from starting up correctly when it reads zero. His solution was to reach under the fairing and cup the ECU in his hand for ten or fifteen seconds, warming it just enough to start.

Aprilia also makes a water cooled scooter which has no thermostat. Which means the bike cannot operate below a certain temperature. I warmed one up indoors once, took it outside for a test ride in 25 degrees F, it just conked out after a minute or two.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

corn in the fridge posted:

I moved to the uk from the us about 8 years ago and I will never move back to the us while I'm still wrenching on cars. Ive worked flat rate and I'll never do it again.
Is it really that different over there? I assumed it was all the norm.

I work at a bike shop and we only do basic stuff like tires and oil on flat rate billing and none of us are paid on flat rate. Having worked on the poo poo that I've worked on (a lot of older bikes, engine rebuilds, restorations) it's hard for me to imagine ever doing flat rate. I guess if everything you worked on was <10 years old and all you did was tires.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

chrisgt posted:

a really long valve core tool....
I enjoy the mental image of a guy trying to get a 25 foot long valve core tool into that 1/4" hole for half an hour straight while trembling in fear.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's pretty amazing what friction can do if you engineer it right. Recently I was rebuilding a transmission from a 1976 BMW bike. The output flange, to which the driveshaft bolts, is attached to the output shaft of the transmission with nothing more than a tapered fit between them and a single center nut torqued to 160ft-lb. No keys, no splines. The entire torque of the drivedrain goes through that taper fit, in this case in a racing sidecar, which is a lot of load for a motorcycle, and it never has an issue.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I recently got one of these, and I loving love torquing things now. Torquing is loving great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just had a thought reading the radioactive disposal crap. What are you supposed to do with asbestos? How do you know if something is asbestos? We work on a lot of old bikes at our shop, routinely replace and throw out old brake shoes. We try to be real careful with the dust from the things, wet it down and wipe it off etc, but we don't pay attention to where it goes once we throw it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There were some BMW bikes that had front fork wheel axle bosses break off. It caused a few serious crashes as you can imagine.