Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

What language are they speaking? Dutch?

I think so, yeah. If it sounds almost exactly like English, and you can't understand it at all, it's probably Dutch. There was actually a thread about that on SA last year, asking what English sounds like to people who aren't brought up speaking it, and someone suggested Dutch as sort of an analogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ab0z posted:

Probably these pictures are just geared toward a different crowd.

Boooooooo

Also lookin' at that dump truck, it's almost cute. Like a puppy who skidded out on the ice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

May I be so bold as to request a container thread? Both disasters and normally working with them. Since they can be put on axles and trucked around, I'd say it fits in the AI spectrum.

There actually was a container thread, I think it was last year or late 2008? Of course that's forever in internet terms. I don't think it got too far beyond talking about using them as buildings.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dave Inc. posted:

There are a thousand ways to die in a cereal plant, I wouldn't gently caress with smelting.

But you haven't lived until you've wandered the basement of a recently flooded coal power plant. Handrails and platforms covered in wet mud in cave-like darkness?! Okay great!

Thinking back I don't know how we were allowed down there at that stage of the recovery, that was just stupid.

Post stories of horrible mechanical failures, too, please?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blocko posted:

Clearly there needs to be a resurgence of woodgas technology.

Wasn't the last kick at it during the Carter years? (For the obvious reasons)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziploc posted:

My Dad changed the oil in our lawnmower for the first time in 20 years.

He said it came out in lumps and had to wait forever for it to drain. :haw: Runs like a champ now.

He was so impressed with it he cut the neighbor's lawn.
They were making four-stroke mowers 20 years ago?

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 10, 2010

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

Phy posted:

They were making four-stroke mowers 20 years ago?
Yes, you dumbass

Huh. My folks had a two-stroke for the longest time and I'm pretty sure the ones I used doing landscaping one summer ran on premix. Learn somethin' new every day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

:science: Thixotropic!

Gesundheit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, try getting tax money out of Americans for road upkeep, let alone rail

(Canadians are no better though)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, this poo poo.

That is not fuel.

That is the poo poo with which you patch your trireme.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

The first hit if you Google "Amtrak cars retention toilets" is a railroad forum thread discussing a story that a Florida state senator was fishing in a boat under a railroad bridge when an Amtrak train crossed and someone flushed the toilet at just the right moment, resulting in the senator being coated in poo poo. The story goes that the senator made a bunch of noise and as a result Amtrak retrofitted/did away with their "heritage" cars.

There's also speculation later in the thread that western trains still discharge sewage onto the tracks because they run too long between stops to pump the holding tanks and keep the toilets running.

You could almost certainly build a Bridge-Toilet-Evacuate-Holdoff system that'd work pretty well. Have a "this is a loving bridge" broadcaster ahead of each problem bridge, and a sensor in each loco that could send a "CLOSE TOILET DUMP VALVE" signal to each car with a crapper. The problem would be, would it be cheaper than just straight-up building sewage tanks into human-carrying cars?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

How about the sound of horrible mechanical failures.

http://youtu.be/7EoN38iPapw

Broken piston or connecting rod, it runs with EXTREMELY low compression and sounds like crap

From way the gently caress back in the thread but jesus, if you ever wanted to get me out of a heavily armed compound by pumping in some disturbing sounds over loudspeaker, skip the death metal and screaming rabbits and go straight to this. I'd just come running out all "MOTHER OF LOVE YOU ASSHOLES STOP CRANKING IT BEFORE YOU REALLY HURT SOMETHING"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How to remove your engine REALLY FAST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b603DA-JE0U

I'm amazed this worked, this is incredibly dumb and and and.... :stare:

No, no see you're supposed to tie it to the doorknob then slam the door really hard

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was it a Lamborghini? :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

Those are just speedholes. They make the car go faster.

If we're going to be stealing lines from the PYF thread, I'm gonna go with "It used to be manual but they installed an auto-mattock"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, in the video lazer_chicken posted you can see the pilot eject as the Hornet drops out of sight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I did it again. :tinfoil:

I hope you're practicing your fiddle skills for when the devil comes for your soul.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

8th-samurai posted:

I can tell you that if I haven't driven an automatic in a while I will almost certainly jam on the brake pedal looking for a clutch at least once during a trip.

Muscle memory can definitely gently caress with you. I was out visiting my fiancee and helped her with some moving this weekend, and I rented a U-haul Econoline-type van with the gear selector on the stalk. For the rest of the trip, every once in a while driving her car I would try to put it in reverse and end up getting the windshield really, really clean.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

B4Ctom1 posted:

The child in me says, "is it snowing right over the center console?"

Citroen's managed to pick up a case of Mexican Magical Realism.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

netwerk23 posted:

Your picture does not conform to A/I EZ Out Victory Picture Standard (AI-EZO-VPS) as it does not include an out of focus middle finger salute in the foreground of the image.

An EZout buried in a successfully extracted bolt is the world's own middle finger. It represents a great big loogie spat into the face of all that would attempt to confuse, confound and irritate us. It is a fist in the teeth of the casual malignity of the universe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, they used the same soft-as-butter mounts that they did in the regular 3 as far as I know - despite the 100hp advantage over the naturally aspirated engine. Even when they're in new condition they don't really work that well.

Hahaha, yeeeah I'm thinking some motor mounts are going on my christmas list.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Come clean, that's just for show and you've really got a guy in there flintstoning it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

This was the perfect size for scrolling down and going :stare: when the boot rolled onto the screen

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Atherosclerosis! Get a balloon stent.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How much more hosed are you if you strip the bolt hole, rather than a stud?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xarph posted:

I dunno man using air from the spare tire to spray windshield washer fluid is a pretty simple thing. :v:

What.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

One of the eleven huge dams on the Columbia River was discovered to have a 2 inch wide, 65 foot long crack in one of the twelve spillway monoliths. So how was this crack found?
An engineer noticed that the road surface on top of the dam was bowing. :stare:

Have some pictures! The dam itself:

The monolith in question:

Top of the dam: (Note not just the circled bit, also look at the curb stones on the other side of the road)

Another view:

An immediate measure taken was to lower the reservoir level 21-26 feet. With the reduced water pressure, the crack has gone from 2 inches wide to 1 inch wide. :stonk:

Sorry I peed in Columbia Lake this summer this is all my fault

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

My Girlfriends windshield fought a goose. They both lost. There were feathers stuck in the glass. She did the right thing though, and hit that fucker head on rather than risk her life swerving or something else stupid.

Can you believe loving Fabio took a goose to the face?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

Using the crust of whatever planet you're aiming at to stop the vehicle. i.e. smashing it into the ground at Mach 10. This can either be planned (such as that decommissioned satellite they slammed into the moon to get seismic readings) or very much unplanned (joint UK/US mission to Mars).

Also it's a riff on "aerobraking". Aero for air, litho for rock.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

eurodixiehorn.jpg

What would that be, "Wacht am Rhein"?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

It's :britain:

From the trucking thread:

Picture of the driver:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I miss the old margarita machine threads

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Deep drawing is a hell of a thing.

What always fascinates me is that it's not the pressure itself that causes the danger, but the compression. A scuba tank being filled with air at 3000psi is a bomb ready to go off. A scuba tank being filled with water at 3000 psi is no big deal if it springs a leak. Doesn't make logical sense but there it is.

When you think about it in terms of energy storage it's not that surprising. Because water is so incompressible, it doesn't take very much energy at all to build pressure. If it's air, you're pumping a lot of energy into it to cram a whole bunch of volumes into one volume.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

From.the article, "Turn Your Backyard Into a Superfund Candidate by the Time the EPA is Invented!"

I read Max Gergel's book about running an organic chemistry company and it's full of poo poo like this. Before the EPA started poking its nose into everyone's business they just dumped waste product into the yard out back and nothing grew there ever again

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

My 540i has 182k and the original clutch.

(stolen from /justrolledin) content because one of my favorite things is hand tools in tires

It's really cool right now, Mom! Shannon's got one!

It's my body and I can do what I want with it!

You're SO MEAN!!!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do they usually hold the Rocky Mountain Rally out by Invermere, or does it change every year?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just figured out most twin turbo setups aren't sequential.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xergm posted:

This really isn't that crazy if you regularly ride a motorcycle, though. You just got to remember to check the trip odometer and reset it every fill-up.

I'm not up on the intricacies of (gravity vs pump feed) vs (carburetion vs fuel injection) on bikes, but you can still buy street legal bikes new out of the shop that a. have carbs, b. have no gas gauge, and c. require you to flip the fuel feed petcock from normal to reserve when you start running out of gas. I think the reserve line just takes from a lower point in the tank.

Granted these bikes are typically dinosaur dualsports like the KLR or the DRZ.

I just bought a carbed bike from 99 and it's got a fuel gauge... and the petcock. Haven't figured out yet if the gauge is mechanical or electrical, but it does come up by a good 1/4" of a tank once I take it off the kickstand.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Coming from auto-mechanic land it boggled my mind how completely terrible people can be with tools in my college work lab. Here's a guy using a hacksaw to cut through 1/2" plywood. Here's a guy attempting to use a dremel as a router in plywood... with one of those ceramic grinding heads. Here's someone hammering a 1/2" diameter wood-thread bolt through a 4x4. Here's someone using a step drill to create a hole in a 2x4.

This post is like the handyperson's version of those New Years At The Gym comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depending on time of day, taking the 401 through Toronto can add like another four hours