Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Safety Dance posted:

Computer Janitors at least occasionally get to lift stuff or climb under desks. Me, I twiddle bits and try to stay as far from hardware as possible.

There is this, and it gets to where I look forward to something as simple as physically moving things, just to get out of the chair, and not really think for a bit. Or deal with users as much. At least my users are corporate. I would kill myself if I had to deal with the general public again, particularly with regards to IT support. My God the ignorance and misunderstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boat posted:

Amen brother. Any OS that can create data that it's then incapable of deleting can die in an electrical fire.

Seen that. How the gently caress does that even happen?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I had to explain to the Graphic Designer why his nested tree structure for his files made it impossible for him to rename or delete files because he had exceeded the character limit.

I bet that was a struggle.
The explaining part, that is. Tough I have known some creatives that were reasonably tech-savvy, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

As an aside, that was a really, really nice third-gen. :(

WAS.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sudo Echo posted:

I managed to go two weeks without an alternator in my '83 civic going to/from school every day. Just park it on hills and pop start it, the thing had barely anything electrical besides the ignition.

I once drove my dad's '91 Dodge Cummins for about 2 weeks without realizing that the ECU wasn't telling the alternator to charge, because the ECU was dead. There are no markings on the volts gauge, and I hadn't driven it enough previously to know where "OK" was on the gauge. I didn't drive at night, and was mostly driving to the train station about 2 miles away from the house. The silly thing started on the first revolution almost every time, so the drain on the battery was minimal. I finally noticed it when I went to go visit a friend some distance away, at night. I needed a jump to get started, but of course the 12V Cummins will run without power, so I only had to deal with the candlelight headlights. Installed an earlier-model voltage regulator, and that's still in the truck. The ECU in the earlier diesels just regulated the alternator (bypass with earlier regulator), switches the AC compressor clutch (replace with a relay), activates the overdrive (switch), and handles the pre-heater (not needed in north Texas. It starts every time, even below freezing, because it doesn't get MUCH below freezing here.)

Phanatic posted:

F-150 takes two rounds of armor-piercing .50BMG to the block and keeps running (albeit barely).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zd-hMXeMoA

I'd be interested to see the dis-assembly of that.
Are 5.4s that expensive to replace? I mean - "more than the truck was worth"?

Collateral Damage posted:

In the followup video he puts a 75mm AT round through it. :black101:

Jesus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgk5RSUnOhE

Front of the block is *gone*.

Ozz81 posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, I've got an '03 Malibu and I'm actually glad it doesn't have a lot of the fancier add-ons of newer cars in the last 5-10 years. I'll hear people in brand new cars complain about TPM sensors or touch screen glitches or any number of onboard computer problems, and here I am humming along with my only disappointment being my car's lack of an AUX port to plug in my iPod.

And that's just a head unit replacement away. Or maybe not, given how integrated the head unit was on any trim level above my brother-in-law's base-model Cobalt, but his is a 2005. If he hadn't gotten the base model, we wouldn't have been able to replace the head with anything other than a GM unit, because it integrates with the warning system and the Driver Information Center. Even his used the CAN-BUS to control power.
FWIW, the Ford Panther cars were still relatively old-school right up until their demise in 2011, and the stuff that is stupidly integrated (Lighting control Module, I'm looking at you) can be worked around.

edit: Man, that Multipla looks weirder every time I see one. The dash looks like a random growth.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fabri-cobble is now my new favorite word.

"...The right way is going to be the best way 99% of the time."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

It's not a grocery place, it's a food supplier that only sells things in bulk quantities. You can't go in and buy a head of lettuce or a package of chicken breasts, but you can get like twenty different kinds of flour that you scoop from a bin yourself. Or a gallon of peanut butter. Or ten pounds of cayenne pepper.

I love bulk barn and wish they had them in the USA.

WinCo Foods has a pretty good bulk section, if there's one near you. Nearest one to me is about 20-30 miles, unfortunately.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Please can you use the tags when posing big spoilers in future?

:golfclap:

This did not get enough love.

Elmnt80 posted:

I could sit outside my dad's house and hear them running at the little 1/8th mile track in kenedale (all of 5 miles away). I can't imagine how many noise complaints that track has given all the people from Arlington that were moving into that area to live in a more "rural, rustic area". :v:

It's still operating, and as far as I know, the dirt oval there is still open, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Yeah, if you think about it, every time you increase the area linearly, you decrease the pressure on it by the same factor.

F = mu*N

F = force of friction
mu = coefficient of friction (static or dynamic depending on circumstances)
N = normal force

Area isn't involved at all. The only time it is important is to keep ground pressure and tire pressure within bounds - for a smaller contact patch to support the same mass you must increase the tire pressure, which increases your ground pressure as well. If you're running your tires at 120psi, you're going to have a lovely tiny area of tread available for the contact patch to stay within so traction will be minimal once it starts moving around under cornering/braking/acceleration forces, and you're also going to sink right the hell in if you're driving on something like gravel, sand, dirt, mud, or snow.

There's a constant debate over whether narrow pizzacutter tires or wide floaty tires are better in snow. Really, if there is a hard bottom somewhere that you can reach before you bottom out the car on the snow you're traveling on, pizzacutters are best. If you're on a thick layer of powdery snow, wide fat tires are best, because they keep you from sinking in until you grind to a halt because the undercarriage is supported by the snow and the tires are hanging and don't have any traction anymore. Which is why icelandic glacier exploration rigs are so goofy/amazing looking:

Pictured: a dana 30 that survives 40" tires just fine (because they're for flotation on 20 feet of powder, and romping on the throttle means sinking, not snapping axles)

This concept exploded my brain when we hit it in Physics (in college, in my case,) because I KNEW that wider tires were better for traction/grip. It took me a bit of thinking to come to the same conclusion, that the wider is better methodology is to ensure the likelihood that some part of the tire stays in contact with the (not perfect) surface. and of course because the model isn't exactly like the real world.

edit: I love that Jeep, and it's the only thing about snow that appeals to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sofullofhate posted:

Heat is the other primary reason. Most tire compounds have lower coefficients of friction as temperature increases, and larger tire carcasses are bigger heat sinks.

Note that high school friction equations are for static friction, which is completely different than dynamic friction. Dynamic friction does change with the size of the contact patch, but not as much as people tend to think.

:science:

That makes sense. More learning today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BobHoward posted:

This is the perfect excuse to post Sand Won't Save You This Time. ClF3: an oxidizer stronger than oxygen itself.

(Every single one of his blog posts under the "Things I Won't Work With" category is an extremely pro click.)

"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Not for long!

E: :lol: whoever got this avatar for me is even funnier than the last one

You're welcome. I saw the pic on an Instructable, and couldn't resist.
TBH, I was starting to get a little :qq: that no one had said anything about it in the general chat and/or your threads.

KozmoNaut posted:

Reminds me of the huge-rear end clock in place of a tachometer in the lower-spec 80s Corollas.

Giant gas gauge in the Jeep Cherokee base models.

That looks like a front lower control arm, which is bad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

"What a lovely body lift does to your truck"

I'm going to say that's because the U-bolts weren't secured tightly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

That must've made a noise. :eek:

Early '70s Chevy cars (Chevelle [pictured] and my '71 Nova, for example) had the same:

Optional tach:

The Jeep XJ Cherokee gauges I mentioned before:

BIG gas gauge. Big ol' idjit lights, too.
Amazingly enough, plug and play with a change of oil pressure and water temp sensors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Found a picture of mine.

That blank plate is $50 for a repro and the clock is loving $190. In dash tach is $240.

If I really wanted to get a surround that isn't chewed to gently caress, it's $300. :suicide:

Sheet ABS and Plastex (and elbow grease)to fix the radio hole to something at least usable, and to hell with factory gauges, unless their really cool, like the tick-tock tach in the 442, where the clock floated in front of the tach.
But then, I'm not into restoration, or care a great deal about originality.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

The aluminum pivots are what wear on these. They are non-adjustable. You can bottom them out and the rockers can be wiggled in all directions. The bottom end is solid so it's getting cam, lifters, pushrods, and arms, along with a new intake manifold and carb

Oldsmobile V8s use the same style paired pedestal rockers, and do the same thing. You also run into trouble when you get a higher-lift cam, because they do that by reducing the base circle. Fortunately, Ford 302 adjustable rockers and studs work on the Olds, somehow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Phanatic posted:

My old Supra had the radio antenna embedded in the windshield glass.

Helped make it damned good-looking car, but I'd hate to think of the replacement cost. especially today.

I don't think it changes much, since all of them had it, the aftermarket glass has it. A little additional labor to connect it. It didn't significantly affect the replacement cost on my '70 Olds Cutlass, and it was optional on those.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Some chucklefuck decided most of the interior bits on my car need to be attached with screws with a 7mm head. :fuckoff:

Nah, that's 9/32". :P
GM does that with every interior. Ford, too, for that matter.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

R-134a and the new R-1234yf can both decompose due to heat into hyrogen floride. Also, apparently R-1234yf is also highly flammable in air if its concentration is between 6.8% and 21.5%. A/C chemicals are nasty poo poo apparently and I never knew how bad they were until we looked up the msds sheet for the new stuff. Except R-744 which is apparently pure CO2, but requires extremely high pressures to work.

Oh, and just for kastien, the chemical name for R1234yf is tetrafloropropene.

But using any of the hydrocarbon-based refrigerants in your automobile AC, that's Bad, because flammable!
I'm perfectly happy with R152a, thank you very much (though my cutlass still has ES-12a Envirosafe hydrocarbon/134a blend, because it's working, and I don't want to vent it). At lease, it was working when I last drove it before the transmission stopped shifting.

Incidentally, I am now and forever going use the mnemonic "1-2-3-4 -you're hosed" to remember the new refrigerant.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Phanatic posted:

I'm sad that the story behind this is almost certainly nowhere near as exciting as it should be:

Not gonna lie - that made me laugh out loud. The "7" marking on it just seals the absurdity.
Saved to troll RX7Club.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

hey spyder, how much for a 3-angle valve job on an FC? :v:

Here are the rear struts from my shitcan Forester. I think I used them all up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUY_1ANDXMY

Will have to do the fronts tomorrow or Friday. Even with just the rears replaced, it rides a lot less like a passel of horny elephants in a bounce house.

Ride gets really weird when one side is blown like that, don't it?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

VW 1.6l D/TD motors often get cracks between the valves, but for the most part were not a major concern. Those cracks look way bigger.

That one appears to crack into the water jacket, given the "stuff" around some of the breaches.
I'm with Commie, though. It looks like a plug was pressed in and then machined, almost like valve seat on a gas engine. I wonder if that's exactly what happened due to casting limitations for the water jacket?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

:catbert:

John Drury Clark, the guy who literally wrote the book on liquid rocket fuel posted:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

That bit highlighted there has always amused me.

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong chassis:

I wish I could afford to operate something like that, much less buy and build it.

Geoj posted:

OTOH HEMTTs are definitely a case of "if you can buy two you can afford one," if for no other reason than fuel consumption - optimistically they average about 2.6 MPG, and at current diesel prices you're looking at a shade under $400 to fill one up.

Yeah, that.

My dad bought a school bus at auction. He just wanted the engine for another project (60's Ford former asphalt truck, now flat/stakebed). I forget what it's got. Maybe I can convince him to convert it to motor home/toy hauler or something. I guess even without the engine it could be a mobile shed...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Look at all the kickstarter projects under the Design category. It's just teeming with useless wankery but because they have look m i n i m a l i s t people are falling over each other because it looks like good design.

I just remembered this:

Want to you use your wireless mouse while it's charging?

gently caress you buy another one

OH, God, that one so pissed me off. I KNOW Apple can do better. Put the goddamned charge port where a cable would go on a wired mouse, you muppets. Is that so difficult to conceptualize? That was just sheer... well, not stupid. Arrogance, maybe? Condescending? "You'll buy it anyway, because: Apple."
To be fair, it will charge enough to last several hours in 15 minutes, and I only have to charge mine like once a month (at work.)

Then they go and remove all the ports we've been using for the last 5 years from the MacBook Pros...

Oh, and those artsy wrenches are dumb. You can make wrenches look cool and still be, you know, functional. Why doesn't anyone make wrenches with round bodies, so they don't hurt your palms? I thought the Craftsman twisted wrenches were useful, since you typically push against them perpindicular to the direction of the wrench opening.

Deteriorata posted:

Supposedly it can get a 9-hour charge in about 2 minutes, so it's not as big of a deal as it seems. If your mouse dies, plug it in and go to the bathroom. It'll be good to go when you get back.

This.

Fermented Tinal posted:

But they could've handled it a lot differently.

Hell, even creatively. Like, make it so you press down a little hard on the back and it pops up 5mm to reveal a usb port. Use mouse as normal until charged and then unplug and press the case back down.

See, that would be kinda cool.

What they did was lazy.

But also this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

I picked up a dewalt bit kit on clearance a while ago, and aside from the right side of that plastic case being 3/4 full of #2 bits, they also included a little tic-tac container full of #2 bits. I guess they know the struggle.

#2 Philips bits wear out quickly when used with power drivers. Those kits are aimed at drywallers who drive a bazillion drywall screws putting up sheetrock.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Ballast helps with stability and traction- Each of my rear tyres has about half a tonne of water/glycol mix in them and the fronts are about 300kg each. Nearly 1.5T of tyre ballast lowers your centre of gravity to the point where this thing will happily climb and descend 40 degree slopes and a 30 degree side slope, while making you poo poo yourself, isnt that big a deal.

We've got radials on it because it would do 2-3000kms a year driving on the road between parks. Bit different from a farm tractor that might go paddock to paddock, our two furthest parks apart are nearly 3hrs travel time each way.

Why would you not load the tractor on a trailer and truck it there in that case?

buttcrackmenace posted:

out of curiosity I started computing the strength of the materials that would be needed to keep the driver's seat in place in a ~35MPH crash into an immovable barrier

the numbers almost immediately became ridiculous

Uh, the exact same strength of materials it would take to keep any driver's seat in place? Do you mean because of the swivel feature? Because that's hardly unique. See '70s GM A-bodies and almost any custom van.

kastein posted:

Take pictures, cancel the payment with your bank, and tell them they need to pay for the replacement parts or you'll see them in court? That's some high grade fuckery.

Speaking of high grade fuckery, take a gander at this. I was really confused till I read a bit...
https://www.facebook.com/100001808796830/videos/1252202608183354/

turns out that's a ford/international 7.3L IDI nonturbo. The RMS rides on the OD of the crank bolt flange and the flywheel bolt holes are through drilled on this particular motor. So if the crankcase gets filled with something past the bottom of the crank flange, it will pour out when you remove the bolts. I'm guessing this truck was sank in a pond or stream while offroading... which is why water pours out till the level drops enough that the oil floating on top of it can get to the holes.

LSx-based motors will piss oil from the crankshaft bolts, too. Just learned that on Finnegan's Garage.

quote:

e:
don't do burnouts in your brodozer with a janky (probably lift blocks) rear suspension!
https://www.facebook.com/DieselTruckAddicts/videos/1357927934239217/

That's hilarious. Especially when FB keeps looping it...

Memento posted:

I get 'nam flashbacks every time I see that poo poo. There was a bank of solenoids in the guts of that loving spaghetti mess that never got recalled, even though they knew they were shitter than poo poo, so they were just replacing them on a case-by-case basis. I did about 20 of those things things in 1999-2000, with each one having a warranty time of ten hours. Mazda being Mazda, that time was basically only achievable if you had wrists that bent all the way backwards so you could touch the point of your own elbow, and also if you designed the emissions system to begin with.

Many years later I was doing some work for a Mazda tuning house, and one of the cars that I did the warranty work on came in to get the twin turbos thrown away and a proper aftermarket set up done. I recognised the white-out markings that I would make on the individual vacuum tubes. Tearing all of that poo poo off without any regard for where anything went and throwing it all in the bin was a cathartic experience.

And speaking of coolant through the ACV, don't second-gen RX-7s do that, too?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Memento posted:

Those motherfuckers. A through G.

gently caress those loving fuckers.

Sadly, some variant of those exist on every. loving. RX-7. There's only four on, say, a '79, but the fuckers are there, and increase in number as the cars get newer.

Ferremit posted:

Unimogs won't tow what this big bastard weighs- she's 9T for the tractor, 1.5T for the front end loader and 1.8T for the slasher on the back. Would need a legit heavy machinery float to move it and then you need the truck to tow it, plus that combo isn't fun to drive around the adelaide hills. Work decided that instead of spending $100K on a trailer and truck they'll drop about $10K on tyres on the tractor every 10 years.

Ah, that makes sense then. I was thinking, like a typical American, the there were lovely flat highways where you wanted to go. That's not even always true here.

wallaka posted:

The gently caress is EMPTY PIPE for?

Serious answer, it's just an unused hardline in the little vacuum manifold that sits on top of the solenoid rack. Possibly an unimplemented feature, or simply not require/available on USDM models.

the spyder posted:

Automatic transmission additional vacuum reservoir.

Or that. I thought it might be for something on an auto-equipped car. There's unused plugs all over my '79's engine bay for the automatic version, so they could use just one engine harness. One the one hand, easy, reduces parts count; on the other, way too much "where does this plug go? Did I forget to connect something?"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You Am I posted:

You could see the wheel was bent over, as if the driver had hit a kerb side on.

Yeah, if you back the video up a bit you can see that it isn't rolling. No telling how far he'd been dragging it. It looks like the next one back isn't rolling either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Each side only look me about 20 minutes. Removing the bearing would take longer. I didn't even bother trying to rotate the hub and get grease into every spot. Just a splooge, rotate 1/2 turn, splooge, pop the sensor back in. The Sensor hole is never dirty, the sensor seals it. Just an air blast around the sensor prior to loosening the retaining screw was good enough.

Someone in one of the linked threads mentioned a tool made to fit in the sensor hole that seals with o-rings to make it even easier. Basically a dowel with a hole drilled through it, a zerk on one end, and o-rings. Presumably a flange or ridge to stop it from going through. Would be fairly easy to make.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Make sure you pick out all of the metal shavings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVZklvlU7Y

To be fair, I hate and distrust ball joints that don't have zerks.
Part of me says a few metal shavings aren't going to make them worse (much.)
Another part recoils in horror.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I've installed zerks on all my balljoints and tie rod ends on my old Audis to make them last longer. I usually keep a magnet on the metal while I drill to catch any debris. Usually comes out pretty clean. I even took a broken one apart and tested for metal shavings from drilling and really didn't find much of anything.

That's what I was thinking. A little grease on the drill and tap, and a strong magnet should work well enough.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

poo poo, Chevy was doing that 45 years ago. two wires up the windshield and then out across the top. Looks nice but I fear ever needing a replacement.

Was gonna say, my '70 Cutlass has one in the windshield.
My Crown Vic, on the other hand, happens to be the only year since the square ones to have a mast antenna. On the rear fender.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to plant a tree that produces nuts next to a driveway.

Some rear end in a top hat PO of my house planted a goddamned pine tree 3 feet from the street and driveway. Pine sap and pine needles on and in everything unless you parked on the other side of the driveway, or six or eight feet down the street.
I was so happy when it died. Of course, then I had to pay someone to take it down (didn't own the necessary tools at the time.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

'92-94 "Aero" bodies had them too, in the normal front fender location. The '95 facelift was where they switched to the on-glass antenna until the '05 weirdo model.

Ah, forgot that the aeros had them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

My dream truck is a late 60s GM truck with a big block.

When I was a kid/early teens, there was a guy who went to the drag strip with a RCSB 69 chevy. It was his first truck, was street legal and full weight.

He ran low 9s all motor, and it shook the loving tower harder than any pro mod or backhalf car.

Buddy in high school had a '66 Chevy short-wide bed with a loving 427 in it. Cam, headers, Holley 4-barrel. Cut front springs and a manual brakes and steering. That truck was scary as hell, but man it could move. You could pretty much parallel park it by pulling up next to the spot, cranking the steering wheel over, and blipping the throttle.

Echoing what's been said, a Ridgeline is perfect for the what most truck buyers actually do with their truck, and the new model looks better.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

vs.

The new one looks better from the back, but the old front end looked like a truck where the new one is clearly a minivan with a bed.

Of course minivan with a bed is exactly what most suburban pickup truck buyers actually need, but image is 90% of the reason that crowd buys a truck anyways so making it look like a minivan is the worst thing they could do.

Never did like the sail panels on the old one. The new Colorado looks a lot more car-like, too, but no where near as much as the Ridgeline. I guess there wasn't much point in a big, tough front end when it's got a compact transverse drivetrain. I do remember at marveling at how much space was in the original's engine compartment, and how far *down* the engine was.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wow, they totally stole that design. Never noticed before.

Powershift posted:

Those things are actually around 3 times the size of a ridgeline. It looks deceiving, but it's actually the size of a small mine truck.

That's a school bus parked beside it.

They're big, but not that big. Looks more like a Suburban or Expedition beside it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Production_Group

Wheelbase – 122 inches (3,099 mm)
Length – 196.5 inches (4,991 mm)
Width – 79.4 inches (2,017 mm)
Height – 75 inches (1,905 mm)

Dodge Caravan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Caravan#Fifth_generation_.282008.E2.80.932017.29

Wheelbase 121.2 in (3,078 mm)
Length 202.5 in (5,144 mm)
Ram Cargo Van: 202.8 in (5,151 mm)
Width 76.9 in (1,953 mm)
Ram Cargo Van: 78.7 in (1,999 mm)
Height 68.9 in (1,750 mm)
Ram Cargo Van: 69.0 in (1,753 mm)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Iirc they were designed from the ground up as fleet wheelchair/medical transport vehicles?

Yep. Flat floor, ramps, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Yes, and it manages to contain the same awkward styling elements of the Ridgeline. Or vice versa.

The MV-1 does look a little better (but not much) with larger-diameter alloy wheels and wider tires, instead of those silly poverty-spec skinny steelies with plastic hubcaps.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Moreover, gently caress u-haul for not renting me a trailer because I drove a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Apparently They won't let you tow with any of that generation of Firestone Scandal Explorers

Fuckers wouldn't rent me a tow dolly to tow my 2500 pound RX-7 with the wife's 4-banger '96 Sonoma. so I rented it from an equipment rental company that didn't give a drat what I pulled with what.

Also, I had no idea that those MV-1 wheelchair vans had Ford 4.6L V8s and RWD (Ford 3.7L V6, now that AMGeneral owns them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Uhaul let my fiancee buy, and installed, a tow hitch for her 98 explorer in New York. Then they let her rent a trailer.

The turn signal wiring was fucky 3 days into her cross country trip, so she went into a service center to get it fixed.

They saw she had an explorer, and took the trailer back, not refunding her anything. Dumped her poo poo out into the lot, and refused any assistance. Leaving her on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with literally her entire life in the street.

gently caress uhaul forever.

Holy gently caress, I would have been in their faces the entire rest of the day, as loud as possible, until they either made it right, or called the cops. I'd have probably blown a vein or something.

As far as their trucks, the few times I've used them, I've actually gotten a good truck.

BloodBag posted:

Two things:

1: I really liked those old 80s Toyota trucks. I blame Back To The Future, I wanted that black lifted 4x4 so bad. They're like plucky little badgers that do what you want and don't give a gently caress. I loved the old dually camper conversions those things would stick out the front of when I was a kid.

2: Why does literally everything lovely happen to you? It's like you attract bullshittery.

E: #2 depends on my correct assumption that you're the artist formerly known as Some Texas Redneck.

1) those dually Toyotas were crap, but they looked cool.
2) he's a weirdness magnet I think, and yes, that's STR.

Jesus, that Miata on a Horror Freight (I think?) trailer. Those things are only rated for like 2K pounds at most! Miatas are light, but not that light.