Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GWBBQ posted:

I remember, from my unfortunate time as a lube tech, the old Mercedes-Benz diesel engines had a small lever next to the intake manifold that had "STOP" printed on it. I can't find a picture, but I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Former lube tech checking in to corroborate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Godholio posted:

They should've posted a picture of one, then we'd at least be on-topic still. :v:

2 birds, 1 stone.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ssh posted:

I just read that and my brain exploded. loving kids, man. Wait until they discover we had artificial light.

I graduated high school in 1990. My oldest son turns 19 in September. I hear Guns 'N' Roses, Whitesnake, etc. on the local "Classic Rock" station. :smith:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Real Life posted:

It sounds like we need a lawn/garden tool thread!

Lawn and garden equipment chat is welcome here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MATLAB 1988 posted:

What kind of failure mode is my tire in?

You're not flush enough. The fender is cutting the tire too far down the sidewall.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Splizwarf posted:

"I guess this caliper got stuck."

Stuck brake perhaps (or seized bearing?), but that's a trailer tire mounted on a wagon wheel.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's a Suzuki GSsomething.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I can't wait to get home to upload a picture I just took at work. 02 passat came in running rough with an oil leak. Stay tuned for the next episode of How the gently caress did that get there Theater.

Hmmm...75 feet of barbed wire wrapped 'round the crank snout?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tip it up and throw it into the brushes, silly.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No, it's a Hercules :downsrim:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Is it just me or do your valves have writing on them?

The valves are marked either "INT" or "EXH", followed by "HERCULES" and the part number.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Reinforcing my position that any Kohler newer than a Magnum is crap. :colbert:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

dissss posted:

As I recall the problem was the filler for the cooling system wasn't actually anywhere near the radiator but somewhere completely else in the engine bay.

Can't speak to the 21, but on the 9 & 11 (Alliance/Encore) the thermostat housing was the highest point in the system, and wasn't fitted with a bleeder.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Leverage. The sprocket was installed incorrectly, allowing the attachment bolts to contact the swingarm as the sprocket rotated. Equal/opposite reaction: axle bolt forced upward.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Root Bear posted:

Arrived at work one day to find this in the parking lot:

Broken ball joint maybe?

Oh. :stare:

Rusted-out LCA mounts are the deathknell for many Metros, along with horribly burnt exhaust valves.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

InitialDave posted:

It's when you rip out a seatbelt reel, and six inches of bodywork around it, with one hand that you know you're having a good day.

jeep_wrangler.txt

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nor do they let anyone else. You're being generous with ideas like "shop" and "brake job".

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

teh jhey posted:

How the hell is it that this is one of the most common fix 'er uppers? Are the battery brackets wear items on some cars or something?

1) Car is old enough that the stock holddown hardware has been dissolved

2) Stock battery size has been discontinued and superseded by a different BCI that doesn't fit properly

3) It's a box of lead plates covered by the hood/bonnet; it's not going anywhere :downs:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Scientist posted:

Anyway, do those deer whistles you put on your car actually do anything?

Yes. They attract deer. :argh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That happened to everyone's Geo Metro.*

*if they didn't burn all the exhaust valves first

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's the band of white rubber behind the white letters.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
-Remove inspection cover
-Rotate engine until converter bolt appears
-Remove said bolt
-Repeat x2

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I've heard stories of early post-WWII hot-rodders using roughly the same method to separate car bodies from their chassis. ("chasses"?)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Someone had to draw the short straw.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

superv0zz posted:

How is that rotor so rusted? Is the calliper seized as well?

Parked it when the spring broke, just got their tax refund so they can finally afford to get it fixed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Root Bear posted:

Bingo.

In order catch a thiefunderstand white trash, you have to think likebe one.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Cakefool posted:

Better than driving it until the noise became unbearable.

Parked it when the noise became unbearable, just got their tax refund so they can finally afford to get it fixed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Redundant upper control arm. Built Ford tough.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ Yikes! I would've figured they just pulled the pin and discharged them into some sort of recovery system.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cursedshitbox posted:

1.8 BP swapped festiva. I err..Freed a few gears from the confines of the case.

Just swapped an F5M into my son's Aspire because the E-series couldn't stand up behind the B3.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DefaultPeanut posted:

What the hell is that thing hanging? A Condenser?

Alternator RFI suppressor.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Silly Canadian trying to use Imperial measurements :3:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That's...odd. Why would you need a wrench that big for such a small amount of torque?

Side note: I'll stop (jokingly) referring to your nationality, if you quit being a defensive, namecalling bitch.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

quit being a defensive, namecalling bitch.

Okay, that was unnecessary. Here's the deal:

Sockington posted:

3/8" torque wrenches usually operate up to about 200 (+ or -) INCH pounds, which is less than 20lb-ft.

Sockington posted:

Nope. My Mastercraft Maximum 3/8 only measures in inch pounds. 30-250 inch pounds. Part number 58-8557 for regular, 58-8561 for the maximum one.

A sample size of (1), with that (1) being the house brand of a loving tire store, does not constitute "usually".

Sockington posted:

When you're working with small bolts and aluminium casings, it's best to be precise.

I don't know what's in a Mastercraft 3/8" drive socket set, but none of my sets include things like 1/4" and 6mm. That's what 1/4" drive is for. You run less chance of destroying small bolts and weak threads if you don't use a giant fuckoff boat anchor wrench to tighten them. A 3/8" drive in/lb torque wrench makes no sense, it's like swatting flies with a bazooka.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 29, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"Blaine"? That's not a city, that's an appliance.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah, I need to back away for a while...my wife gave me some disturbing news and my brain checked out. Best to just ignore me.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It is, now that you're here :haw:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DefaultPeanut posted:

Why... Why the need for a 3/8" drive with that low of a torque setting? What could you need to torque under 200 in lbs where a 1/4" drive socket set would not be big enough?

I already made a complete rear end of myselfargued this point a couple pages ago.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Because it's uninsured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's a 1981 Daytona 500 pace car (replica), hence the NASCAR decal.