Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Maybe it's because I've been watching horror movies instead of sleeping, but all these pictures of mechanical carnage suddenly made me think that the block only exists to keep the more murderous parts of the engine from breaking out and killing us all.

But that's just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'd bet the wrench was put on or in the tire "just for a minute" while working on something else, then got forgotten and the tire monkey wasn't paying any attention while mounting it.

One time the body shop where I work broke the band that holds the TPMS sensor to the wheel and decided that instead of walking over to parts and eating the $4 for another band they could substitute masking tape.

Yeah. Customer came into service within a few days complaining that the TPMS light was on and there was a noise in the wheel. The tech that found the pressure sensor bouncing around loose in a snarl of blue painter's tape inside was very :wtc:.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

MrChips posted:

Although this isn't duct tape as you know it - it's made of aluminum for one, and the adhesive is extremely strong (and waterproof). In the industry, it's known as speed tape (or 600 mph tape, as it's supposedly good up to that airspeed).

Speed tape is good poo poo. Sadly my stockpile from before Grumman laid everyone off is just about gone.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Jeece posted:

Found on a local forum:

Only 25k miles on the brakes, they probably got stuck somehow.

What the hell is wrong with people? My brakes are screaming and smell like burning think I'll keep tooling along for another couple thousand miles :downs:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Fucknag posted:

Holy hell, the A/C on an Excursion only uses about 1.5 pounds. It's a good thing nobody was standing next to it when this happened, they most likely would have suffocated.

42 ounces on an Excursion, 68 with the auxilliary AC. That's still fuckall compared to 250 pounds though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Left Ventricle posted:

So what does this mean? You put his horribly broken brakes back together and let him drive it away? Hopefully that involves him singing a legally binding waiver that holds you and your shop harmless if he damages property or people, including himself, due to his negligence.

You can advise the customer that it's unsafe to drive and make them sign something stating they were told and understand that, but you can't hold the dude's vehicle hostage even if it's for his own good.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Rhyno posted:

Local Ford Dealer did this to people all the time while I worked there.

They may have done it but it's quite illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Toucan Sam posted:

Chrysler is the worst, they actually come new with metal caps. The caps practically weld themselves on until they corrode through or someone breaks it trying to unscrew it. I keep so many Chrysler TPMS sensors on hand just because of that. The early Fords did that also but since they use the band sensors now it is so much nicer. Band sensors should be the only sensor used.

Ford is switching to valve stem sensors from the band sensors, it's retarded. The bands have the undeniable advantage of not making your tires go flat when they fail.

Horrible tech failure: our bodyshop was fixing a wreck and one of the sensor bands was broken. Instead of replacing it they wound a lot of painter's tape around the wheel and sensor. Surprise surprise the customer comes back the next day because their tire is making noise, it's the sensor and a wad of blue tape thumping around inside!