Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKsWhpa73k

This is what happens when you pull 700hp out of a GTR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't know ferrari made lawn tractors!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

Ford: "You abused the vehicle because you are an off-road newb. Tough luck."

I particularly like the straw man argument about if the frame was stiffer it would donkey kick and cause handling issues, and how at least the spring purchases didn't fail, as well as the implication that this area was designed to fail this way in order to save you from killing yourself or having to walk home.

Once again, for shame Ford. You treat your SVO/SVT customers like poo poo time and time again.

Did you watch the video in the article?

http://youtu.be/6eK-1Ld7sJY

The "frame bending kicker" is at about 1:30 with a cattle gaurd slightly before that. You can hear how hard they hit, and see how the back end bucked up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

I did. I have also been underneath a Raptor and have seen with my own eyes where these frames are bending, and it's quite obvious it is a structurally poo poo area. It is literally the only part of the frame that is not fully boxed (even though they claim a fully boxed frame), and it's obvious why it's like that: it was a difficult spot to do that would have taken a lot more effort.

Have you been under a Raptor, or are you speaking about this solely based on Internet reports?

Never been under one but i've driven one fairly hard without bending it, but does anything you said there have anything to do with what i said.

You're suggesting ford placing blame on the owners is a cop out. I posted a video of one of the owners in question doing multiple things wrong, and doing something to the truck that almost no vehicle could handle. You go on about the frame.

Something would have broken with that hit. If they strengthened the frame, the shock mounts would have snapped off and you'd be bitching about that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuauSSmaTI

This is the kind of donkey kick ford is referring to, and that is race prepped truck running the same speeds these guys were running in showroom stock trucks.

This is from one of the companies with a fix for the problem

quote:

We have been questioned a few times for not reporting the frame damage to the Raptor community when we first became aware of the damaged frames. I felt like there was no reason to "blow the whistle" on the damage that was done to these trucks that came through our shop. These trucks were driven to the extreme and the owners understood that it was their abuse that caused the damage. We see trucks in our shop weekly that have factory components that are compromised, normally due to abuse, as a shop we repair these flaws and build them better... That's just what we do. These “pre-run” bent frame trucks were bent at the upper bump stop mount and all the trucks were involved in very heavy off road abuse. The worst had about a 3"-4" difference between the front of the bed and the rear of the bed. None of our customers took their truck into Ford to attempt to have them covered under warranty. In these cases they understood it was user abuse and they were willing to pay for the repairs themselves. When they left they had straight frames and our rear hydraulic bumps installed.

Most guys who bent their frames took it strait to this guy instead of trying to get warranty on it because they knew they had seriously abused the truck to get it to that point.

Really, the fact that the raptor hasn't claimed a life yet is astounding. doing 80mph+ offroad on a trail you've never driven before in a truck without a rollcage is nuts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those super short wheelbase buses are enough of a mechanical failure alone. A little bit of washboard turns them into a rollercoaster.

Bill from marketing: hey gus, it's bill from marketing, A customer wants to know how long of a bus we could slap on an 10' pick-up frame
Gus from engineering: Anything more than 18 feet would be suicide
Bill from marketing: 30 feet, gotcha, thanks gus

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

From what i can gather, he got it stuck under a bridge, let the air out of all of his tires to get it unstuck, and figured he would just keep driving until he could find a place to air them back up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

averging 11kph over mild washboard will do that

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boat posted:

OK, I'm going to need a diagram or something, because from here this is just 10 kinds of :psyduck:

that red and silver car on the left and the gold car on the right are preparing to turn right, it's basically to keep people from waiting for cross traffic while sitting on the tracks. They have to wait until they have a spot in both directions of traffic, or the red light to clear the intersection.

Funny story, i encountered this 15 minutes into my first time driving on the left. Trial by fire.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bad day in progress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ssergE posted:

Slight correction - you have to wait until the lights change. When you make a hook turn you effectively become part of the traffic stream you are joining.
I saw people jumping it left and right when they got a shot, just assumed that's how they worked.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Postal posted:

Since that thing's not counter balanced like the Falkirk Wheel, it's not relying on no work being done and small motors being used (the falkirk wheel runs off four washing machine motors); they have gently caress-off big motors lifting a huge weight and doing heaps of work.

Then part of me wondered how much its a case of the lift is there to raise barges over the dam, and the dam is there to just power the lift.

while not perfectly efficient, i would hope it generates power as it descends.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Holy poo poo. What if it sucked his hand in??

It would probably shut down before it got to the elbow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rorac posted:

Can somebody tell me why they still use belts for this type of thing rather than just sealed gears/chains?

I would assume it its to isolate and cushion failures of the various parts., you don't want a seized alternator damaging your water pump, and you really don't want the entire thing stopping abruptly when 1 part fails.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

and 9:01 monday morning his insurance company is going to tell him to gently caress off, and he's out 40 grand.

ouch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MY oil centrifuge was making a fuckton of noise and taking forever to spin down, so after i pulled it out while changing oil, i smashed it open. I don't know what they make these loving things out of, but it took 8 good hits with a splitting sledge to get the fucker open. When i looked inside

The noise was the impeller rubbing against the inside of the gunk. This was only 300 hours on the rotella T synthetic, and my third oil change using it. I've never seen it this bad even after going about 450 hours on mobil delvac 1. I switched back to delvac with this oil change and won't be changing back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

That is some high-quality gunk, right there. Excessive heat nearby?

Only mack's famed oil cooled EGR. The spiner is after the filters, so the gunk is only sub-25 micron gunk, that makes it pack into what feels almost like a rubber creating the highest quality of gunks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

What is that part, what is it from, and what does it do? :aaa:

It's an oil centrifuge from a mack vision. it spins the oil at 7500+ RPM to spin contaminants out. It looks like this before you take a sledge to it. oil filters on big diesels only filter down to about 25 micron because of the amount of flow needed, this pulls smaller contaminants out.

The sexy part is that it's powered by the flow of the oil.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

Send that off to Blackstone labs! :haw:

press it all into a jar, and send it to them with no explanation and wait patiently for them to poo poo themselves. I am going to save some and put it in a funnel, and see if it actually is still a liquid. like the pitch drop experiment.

bidikyoopi posted:

Why does impacted hardened oil cause it to take longer to spin down? You'd think it would make it seize instead of lubricate.

Inertia. What it's spinning on is basically just a brass bushing, the entire egg spins, when it triples in weight, it spins longer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was the third spinner with that oil though, but the only one that went over 250 hours. I can't see why it would start working well on the third oil change.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A clogged recirc filter wasn't allowing enough airflow through my a/c evaporator.

just one massive block of ice. good to know the a/c system is still working well though :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With a new filter in there, it builds up a small film of ice on the pipes, and melts off repeatedly, and cycles like this every half hour or so. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yay, finally a mechanical failure that's not mine

The road was washed out so they fixed it with rig mats to keep a job going, the mats are about 10 inches high, and the ramp up to them is pretty much a 45* angle. it's a popular camping road, and people tried driving down it with cars, one of them hit the mats at speed and lost it's oil pan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I may be spoiled by high speed wireless internet everywhere in the province, but does it even matter?

After i get a flat, i could research which tire is best to replace it with, who has that tire cheapest within 150km, and have the phone number for the shop that can come out with that model of tire for a permanent replacement on the side of the road. All of this can be done and i can be back on the road within an hour at minimal cost.

The world has changed. it's only fair that spare tires keep up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess alberta is just ahead of the rest of the continent :smug:

I've driven in to a rest stop at 9PM on a saturday, given them directions and told them i was heading out at 6am sunday, and woken up to a new tire on the truck and a $700 bill under the wiper(considering the tire is $650 list, that's pretty drat reasonable).

I would be the first to admit i'm somewhat sheltered living in the industrial productivity capital of the world, but this really is the way it should be.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Ask me anything about owning a 6.0 for one night and having blown HGs.

What interest rate did you finance it at?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Every car I've owned required a safari to find the transmission dipstick and fill point :confused:

My mom's jeep liberty doesn't even have a transmission dipstick, and the fluid change interval for regular use is 120,000 miles or 10 years. If you want to check your transmission fluid level, you have to buy a $72 dipstick, and a computer tool to check the transmission temperature to compare against the gauge on the dipstick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

from the show "last car standing", 3 way tug of war, BMW driver thought he was spinning his tires, so he shifted up through the gears to 5th and gunned it. linked because 5mb gif.

http://i.minus.com/iboCK7VV5sAIZY.gif

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The filter in mine is just a metal screen, and is directly after an odd shaped coolant hose called "the elephant trunk". So if you don't clean it regularly, it blows up that hose and the only place to get a new one is mack :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks more like a fuckered EGR cooler.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

There's the right way, there's the wrong way, and then there's the (Superior) German Way.

Which is the wrong way, only more expensive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Race teams always say the failure is the alternator, no matter what it actually is.

:v: The alternator failed
:allears: How did it fail?
:v: A conrod snapped, went through the block and poked a hole in it

or

:v: the alternator failed
:allears: how did it fail?
:v: The engine seized and the alternator belt snapped

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Wasn't it mostly the 5.4 that had those problems?

Yeah, the 4.6 you couldn't keep the plugs in, the 5.4s you couldn't get em out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's hard to believe, but In the US for 3 months ford sold it's second smallest car with a 252hp/270ft/lb 2.0T i4 and the same time it's largest car was sold with a 239hp/287hp 4.6l v8. cheap engines have come a long way in the last few years.

edit: here's a mechanical failure, this is what it takes to write off a 40,000km, 2006 BMW M5.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 7, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Horrible grammatical error. found this sticker on my kubota engine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

you can't spell ferrari without F, i, r, and e.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't leave aluminum caps on brass fittings in a wet environment for 6 months, Fuckin things are welded together. A 5 foot long pipe wrench/snipe couldn't break that fucker loose and a hammer, while emotionally rewarding, doesn't do poo poo either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Unwelcome passengers :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love the smell of melting pistons in the morning. The picture really doesn't do justice to the color and volume of smoke coming out of this poor thing.

Invisible dirigible! (-87,750kgs) It's like something so heavy went over it, it spun all the way around back into legal load territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It seems all that voodoo they had to do to make the C7 so good is coming home to roost. The C7 is cursed.