Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On the bright side, i'm sure that was the last time anybody there stood under a heavy load like an idiot.

Horrible electrical failures. This is the bottom side of a 4 position switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sharp curve ahead.

Well, gently caress.

Well, gently caress.

WELL, FU.....what the gently caress am i looking at.........

I knew something was off when the lugnuts required a 15/16ths socket, none of these were even tight, if they were tightened, the wheels wouldn't fit. I did 100 miles an hour in this fuckin thing, how am i not dead?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Astroman posted:

100 mph in a vintage Lincoln Continental...nice!

My condolences on the tire though...whitewalls ain't cheap. I guess you'll need a new wheel assembly?

Got any more pics of the sexy beast?

The tires are old enough that there is only a 3 digit date stamp, so they could be from 1978, 1988, or 1998(i think it's 88), so they were coming off anyways. the wheels are janky as gently caress. They are a completely universal wheel. choose your bolt pattern with the position of the lug sleeves, choose your offset by welding the center of the wheel to the rim. the welds were done AFTER the wheel was chromed, and don't even go all the way around. they're just done in 5 sections.

I feel 25% safer with this wheel being off the car. now just to get the other 3 off it and i'll be good.

Here is the rest of her.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bolind posted:

How do you even ensure that the wheel is centered? It better be hub-centric.

Did it come as a kit, and then you chose your offset by welding the center piece afterwards? I don't even...

It can't be hubcentric, because there is a little layer of tin that's not even tight.(the front hubcap/spoke holder) that hammers in from the back) around the hub.

The wheel is centered by the idea that all 5 spacers on the lugs will be pointing the same way. with all 5 pointing towards center on a 5 on 5 lug, all 5 pointing towards the outside on 5 on 4 lug, and everything in between. I would think in the current set-up, all tortional force would want to twist the original lug.

Vigo327 posted:

Wait.. You're saying there is a cylinder thing in the middle of the wheel and you weld the wheel to that at the flange, and THAT is what tightens against the hub while the back of the wheel flange just hangs out in open air? That's insane. I actually didn't think this wheel idea was that bad until i read that, but i'm still not sure i'm reading it right.

It's built similar to a modern wheel, but it doesn't look like it is heat shrunk on or anything, there is a noticable gap between the rim and the center

That would mean if you're turning hard, all the weight of the car is on 5 stitch welds.

I'll try to get a video later today, the tire was completely flat, and the car was still dead level, i jacked it on the axle, and jacking it high enough into the air to where it would have sat with the inflated wheel, the body of the car didn't move, the suspension just compressed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And i just did this 5 minutes ago in the BMW.

HAVE PITTY ON ME, TIRE GODS. WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER YOU?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Hit something, or did it blow out from running low? I can see a bit of the telltale discoloration on the sidewall, but that can happen after the tire goes flat if you drive on it long enough.

blew out hitting a lip on road construction. drove it maybe half a km home, very slowly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a camera with LEDs that plugs into a laptop that would fit through that hole. I think i paid $40, it's a seriously good investment.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

$40? Where? Fits through a hole the size of a sparkplug? I require something like this. For, um, science. Yeah. Science.

It's this one right here, i bought it on sale for half price back when the original price was $80. It has adjustable LEDs and all that fun stuff, so it's great for all your in-home colonoscopy needs. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...a.jsp?locale=en

quarter for scale.

The inside of a pop can.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Two for one!

It just wants to be free.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I've never had any major issues with a single Bosch component, and I run both their turbodiesel parts (injection pumps, sensors, injectors, etc.) and their gas parts (CIS Fuel Injection, etc.)

I do run NGK spark plugs though.

Bosch is on the forefront of a lot of technologies, so honestly you are being a little unfair.

I can understand where the frustration comes from though. My 2 largest experiences with bosch parts are the VP44 injection pump out of the 24v cummins, a $1,100 part that only lasts 100k kms, and the MAF in my BMW which with a BMW part number is $600, with a VW part number is $170, when the parts are the same down to the plug.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Root Bear posted:

I'm not sure how this was able to hold 40 psi of air, but it did. :psyduck:

I put 800km of abuse onto this and it still didn't bust loose.

I'll probably blow it up in a burnout competition at some point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Quick, how much do i bid.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

$500, pray, make fummins.

Sorry to disappoint. Bought this instead. 99 with 195k km on a 7.3l. Inop but I take that as a challenge.

http://m.rbauction.com/mt/www.rbauction.com/1999-ford-f250-xl-pickup?invId=3904288&id=ci&un_jtt_v_product_detail=yes

Pray for mojo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Well drat, guess I was wrong there :v: didn't even see that.

That is a rather interesting brush guard on the one you got...

As you may already know. Me and Moose have a history.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're a crazy fucker for not getting a Snowcat. What auction did you go to in order to get that BMW? Regal is a shitshow lately and I want me some horror-story Miatas.

There were 50 drat Snowcats and they all went over $40k. I wanted the non runner range rover hse but someone from Saudi wouldn't let me have it.

The BMW was the last car of the day at Michener in Calgary.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

The NV5600 6-speed manuals have some sort of a vulnerability as well but I can't recall what it is. If I find one, ever, I'm pulling it even if it means I have to eat ramen for a week, then selling it on craigslist for 15 times what I paid for it.

Yellow metal synchros in a 450 lb transmission and a manufacturing partnership that failed in 05 leaving a lack of parts. It's cleared up now and they are 2200 rebuilt.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I climbed under the "hole in transmission" dodge.

The "hole" is the entire back half of the tranny. The only thing keeping the transfer case off the ground is cross member.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 31, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

You might want to scale that second one down :stare: I don't know why the timg isn't working but holy gently caress it is large.

I wonder what the hell happened to that thing.

It's a dodge. It's what they do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I have a Thunderstruck bumper on the front of my Dodge pickup. So far I've killed two deer, two buzzards, a coyote and several small birds with it.

My buddy Johnboy has a similar truck with a ranch hand bumper on the front. He smoked a good sized eight point buck about a hundred yards down the road from my house last week. I heard him do it, 65 and he never lifted off the power. Not much left of the deer and no damage to the truck.

1000-1500 bucks for a good heavy duty replacement bumper is very cheap compared to the losing your truck for a week or two at the body shop and having to pay your deductible a couple times.

On the other hand, a moose will still gently caress you up.

But yes, once you have a bush bumper, deer are just soft bags full of poo poo and blood. (linked for said poo poo and blood)

i.imgur.com/AH1GG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TuGDn.jpg

This is technically a mechanical failure. The deer was running well then it just fell apart! :haw:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Lamest loving summer ever was the year before last when our state had a crazy drought, we couldnt make a fire on a canoe trip on a bare sand bar surrounded by a flowing river. And not cause we were pussies either, god drat DNR was flying over us all night long looking for fires.

Airborne embers can travel for up to a mile in the wind, and still remain hot enough to ignite new fires in dry enough conditions. I'm sorry your canoe trip was ruined by you not being allowed to burn down a large section of forest so you could cook some hot dogs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somebody needs to make a slide hammer powered by a 22 shell, like a concrete nail driver.

There's no way anything could ever go wrong with that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

If you can't weld you shouldn't be attaching weight boxes to pulling trucks.

http://blog.powerblocktv.com/truck-pull-ends-in-disaster/

But they doubled up on the duct tape!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Knowing the quality of mechanic that works in most dealers, and the squeaks and rattles that come standard with GM products, i can't even imagine how terrible that car will be afterwards.

On the flip side, it will be nice picking one of those up at auction for a grand in 10 years.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just put a little sawdust in the crank case and sell it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

The advantage was Cat didn't have to develop an electric truck 15 years ago or whenever everyone else jumped on the electric bandwagon. It was a bad move that they* have yet to fully recover from.

*Their ultra class mining truck business. It didn't hurt the company overall much.

e: they still have a large market share in that area anyway but I bet it would be a lot bigger if they hadn't drug their feet in going electric.

I don't wish to alarm you, but caterpillar isn't a very forward thinking company.

They're EPA 2008 highway diesels were so terrible they pawned the design off on international hoping they would sort it out. They then designed a highway truck using the engine without the thought that international might not be able to make it work despite the fact that international is TERRIBLE.

Now they're putting cummins emissions systems onto a navistar engine into their caterpillar truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

As someone who doesn't know, why is international terrible?

They make terrible, unreliable engines, and refuse to stand behind them.

For starters, they are responsible for the 6.0 powerstroke, which is likely the least reliable diesel engine built in the last 10 years. The list of fatal weaknesses present in a single engine is astounding.

In the heavy duty truck market, they tried a 3 stage EGR system to meet 2010 NOx emissions as opposed to using SCR, but the system was so complex that if it ever has to be taken apart, it's nearly impossible to get it sealed again. As an additional kick in the nuts, their system sucks and doesn't work, so they ended up adding SCR on top of it.

They're like the British leyland of modern diesel engines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

In International's defense, they did produce the DT466 and T444E/7.3L Powerstroke, two extremely reliable diesels. AEGR is a horrible mechanical failure, but I admire them for at least trying to avoid DEF. The 6.Ohno is a motor everybody wants to forget, personally I think inter ational secretly wanted out of Ford, making diesels for pickups seems too competitive.

Yeah, they really demonstrated how badly they wanted out of ford when they Sued ford for trying to make their own diesel engines....twice.

They wanted ford to continue paying them money, but didn't want to have to spend that money on warranty claims or engineering costs to fix their gently caress-ups.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh hey, a cat c12!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Thats a big crankcase breather hole!

It's a window to monitor engine function.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

I'd rather gargle with gear oil than ever have to deal with gasoline burps six hours later ever again.

words of a man who has never tasted ford friction modifier.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Modern f-150s have that same problem. A vacuum leak results in the hubs locking/unlocking at speed.

That however, looks like it was driven another 50k after eating the u-joint.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Vacuum auto hubs? What the christ?

I've seen vacuum locking diffs but hubs, seriously? Is there like, a seal wear spec where the vacuum can escape but not at a greater rate than the pump can supply? What happens if you...actually go offroad or something?

Failure mode for the ford is locked, which is what happened to my f-150 resulting in seriously terrible fuel economy. In my dodge, the failure mode was unlocked, which is bad because the entire assembly on the dodge is mounted on the back of the front axle, and is prone to getting removed by deep mud.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 4 stroke BRP puts in their high end seadoos are 1.5 liter, supercharged, and still only 215hp.

The current rotax 800r e-tec they put in skidoos is 160hp from an 800cc 2 cylinder. You can slap a turbo on them for 240hp, and that's far more impressive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I use a ratcheting wrench for 02 sensors. you have to slip the plug through the end and slip it on down, but it makes it oooooooooo easy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can only imagine this is the result of "hold my beer and watch this"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stump posted:

Is ringing a thing in the US? Buying a wrecked car to transfer the clean identity to the a stolen one?

Yeah, but any modification of the VIN usually results in the car being crushed.

In the case of that honda, they'll probably pull the wheels, tail lights and air bags, then sell the rest for scrap.

When i want to make myself hurt, i browse salvage auctions.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?ac...onType=high-end

:negative:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Mazda Tribute alternator. all I'm gonna say.

Oh yeah, 90s LT1 distributors mounted under the god drat water pump
E: ^Optispark II

How about toyota V8 starters

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

revmoo posted:

This effect is magnified quite a bit when you own a BMW. Blower motor is somewhere around 1500 at the dealer, I replaced it for like a hundred bucks.

The BMW wanted over $800 for the mass airflow sensor for my 540. Napa wanted over $400. A lot of VWs use the exact same sensor, which napa had for $170.

The dealer would probably charge a grand to spend 5 minutes swapping it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, gently caress. There goes the duct tape budget for the year.