Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

One is sheetmetal, the other is a very finely balanced device several feet in diameter that will be spinning at thousands of RPM for thousands of hours.

Also, one is a collection of parts numbering at the most, 2 digits.

The other is a collection of parts that's in the 4 or 5 digit range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

chem42 posted:

My friend's dad used to be a tool and die maker at Boeing, years and years ago. The attention to detail has stuck with him. He knows his poo poo, but it can be frustrating working with him.

"For fucks sake, it's a car hauler not an F-16. 2 Thousandths is a perfectly acceptable gap!"

F-16 was made by General Electric :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

PurpleFender posted:

General Dynamics :eng101:

E: also, from my memories growing up on an AFB, they were referred to as 'Lawn Darts' and all the NCO guys would say how much better the Phantom II was. :clint:

OH gently caress I really busted that one up. I guess I got confused because they used to be Electric Boat Company.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Wrong Thread

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 15, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

hippynerd posted:

The guy that broke this was pretty freaked out, he didnt want to ride the bike anymore :(

I replaced the gooseneck, and another guy took it away.

What part is that exactly? And how did he do that?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Jesus gently caress, x2. That's just frightening.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I changed my brother's spark plugs the other day when he came to me complaining about a misfire.

WHAT THE gently caress

Those are the original MotorCraft Ford Factory OEM plugs. Did I mention the car has 83k on it?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
In the spirit of the thread, somewhat. This is an example of a horrible mechanical SUCCESS. I walked away.

Oil Pan Carnage

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm bored, cranky, and stuck at home. I left out the story. What's it to you? Is this not the mechanical carnage thread?

Also, bad driving? :downswords:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 20, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I would read the hell out of a [Tell] thread about your work with these systems.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Hey, block windows

The rods, they just want to be FREE

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It sounds like the best bet would be to bite the bullet, get them professionally taken down to bare metal, and refinished.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
How many guys did it take to pull the seatcover out of your rear end?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I've never used Brake cleaner, I can't remember off the top of my head what I used last time, probably whatever solvent I had lying around.

Brake cleaner should be the only solvent laying around. :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
As a guy who had a car settle onto his chest, I'm wary even under a lift or jackstands. It takes me twice as long as anyone else to do anything to an E30 because half my time is spent making sure the car is stable enough for MY standards.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Would be taking that rotor manufacturer to town for every penny of my expenses including my soiled underwear because :stare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I go away for a few days and you Oiguys get me the best Christmas present ever :swoon:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Having the cable be THAT short was probably a really lovely idea too. Also, an in-craft release operated by a crewman would have removed all need for him to hover that low.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

We speak not of the brake incident.

Also, you're not Canadian.

I think we need to hear about the brake incident now :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ziploc posted:

Friend just bought an old Civic. The previous owner put in Civic lowering springs from a hatchback. These do not work in a wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta95AEwSlCc

What's wrong with that? You don't always have to have tenders for shorter springs.

My E30 with HR Race has about that much gap in the front at full droop.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That poor old bimmer...

I hope you take that shop to the goddamn cleaners, there was no reason for that car to die like that.

Edit: My BMW love is showing, just having them replace the car would be more reasonable.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 30, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Bang Me Please posted:

2012 Kia Sedona with less than 1,200 miles. No other damage.

No other damage other than having to clean all that up. Yech, CV grease is the WORST.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I hope you get refunded for the whole set and buy wheels elsewhere.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

C Prepared '65 Mustang... that was a front driveshaft u-joint at one point...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Millstone posted:

You ain't poo poo until your car catches fire 6 times a day

Then you're flaming poo poo

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Someone tapped that with a MIG, didn't they.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

I'm building the wiring harness myself (basically paring down and customizing a harness I got off a friend who was parting out a 94 XJ) and using an old automatic trans bellhousing I got for free as the basis for my generator head bracket. The generator head conforms to J609-B w/ the standard taper shaft (it's a 15kw, 18kw surge MeccAlte unit, ACO 3 1LN/2) so I am paying a friend of mine to make a crank flange to J609B adapter shaft. I'd use a smaller, already-J609B motor, but:
* I already have this one and will have about 50 bucks into it plus the harness when I'm done
* a 30hp J609B motor would run me several hundred dollars
* this one means I have 99% of the spare parts I will ever need to keep it running sitting in the yard, as I own 3 of the vehicles the motor came from
* I already know my way around the inside and outside of the motor, and its EFI system, etc

Including the auto transfer switch, brand new generator head, and complete engine + adapter plate/shaft setup, I will end up getting a 15kw constant load generator for under $1000 that I have a complete spare parts collection and hundreds of debugging/repair experience for already.

Once I get a bit closer to done with it I'll probably create a thread for it or post it in my house rebuild thread over in creative convention/DIY.

Please do, that sounds awesome.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

obso posted:

Driving down the road, heard a bang followed by the familiar smell of gear grease.

My samurai decided it had too many parts in the trans. Found all this scattered along the road.

Nothing a little JB weld can't fix (and a generous dollop of silicone later to stop the leaks).

Those rods/pins were apparently unnecessary because its been a couple weeks now of driving it every day and it seems no worse for wear.

Have you tried reverse lately?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Those spider gears seem to have lost some legs :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Budget Monty posted:

How would bent valves bind the cams?

If the stems jam in the guides the cams will encounter too much resistance and snap.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So in this thread we post catastrophe, sometimes involving engine blocks. But, after said catastrophe, what do we do? We rebuild it. Stronger, Faster, More Powerful. But most importantly, with a buttload of pictures, ostensibly to make sure we put it back together right, but sometimes, we make something beautiful.

This is one of Those Things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daVDrGsaDME

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Statutory Grape posted:

This was a Z1 Star Spec at one point. The moral of this story is to not waste your money on drugs and booze when you need to buy tires.

When the cords start showing we just grab black Sharpie or shoe polish to pass tech and then run them for one more event :haw:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh my god how did I not have this guy on my subscriptions list I love you.

Turbines are the most awesome combination of :science: and :black101:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't surprise me, I know some people who will take 2.5l Audi Turbodiesel blocks and use them for petrol racers.

Good God that would be one hell of a racing block.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I knew my thermostat was bad when I dived into the timing belt/waterpump job on my E30, but I wasn't expecting this :staredog:

Well there is certainly a problem here.

:wtc: THERE'S A PIECE MISSING :ohdear:

I've never seen a thermostat failure quite like that before.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 26, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Motronic posted:

I'd just like to know what the sounded and felt like as it went down.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Boss had a set of 22" wheels he FOUND somewhere with tires. One of the tires had some separation and blew up in the shop the other day. We thought a loving bomb had gone off.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My front right wheel bearing decided to commit suicide by abandoning it's dust cap.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 15, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

It's still in one piece, it's not horrible yet. :v:

We'll see about that when I get it off the hub.

Removing the studs is going to be a blast :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

obso posted:

Those look like they hammer out like most other studs. It's easy.

Nope. Screwed in with red locktite by yours truly. Torch + double-nut oughta do it.

I made a video while I was out there (because I'm strange like that) and hey why not share :haw: (I realize I am a rambling redneck leave me alone)

http://youtu.be/wlPh0vNOqbI