Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

This is horrifying. I saw this doing 60 on a highway. Let's see how long it takes to find the really scary part. Hint: it's not the fact that it's a bus towing another bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Saw the before and after, made a gif. (not the best quality)

And if you just want the two frames I overlapped:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SGT. Squeaks posted:

It was something I'll never forget. I haven't watched a race in years, and just happened to be at a friends house the night that happened. My mind was blown by the craziness of it all. It was like something out of a Micheal Bay movie.

This was the first Nascar race I've ever watched from start to finish. They did it to hook me :tinfoil:.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

bidikyoopi posted:

Just saw this video of SEMA car crushing on Autoblog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNiL8V-vQQ

I wonder why they do this with pre-production cars and press cars. Couldn't they part them out, or title them as salvage and sell them at auction? For lovely cars it's not so bad but watching Vipers and other limited production cars get crushed is a bummer.

From what I understand, it's to avoid lawsuits. The cars have experimental parts in them that haven't been deemed safe to use in production models. If those parts got onto the market and someone got seriously injured or killed, the company would probably pay much more than what salvaging the car would save. I think it's a pretty common engineering practice, don't want the bad eggs (potentially) getting in the hands of the consumer.

Edit: beaten

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

The best uploader comment.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Re: PVC Intake Chat

Who says you can't use PVC for proper intakes?

rcman50166 posted:

Update (finally):

The intake addition has been completed.

I might as well take the time to go into detail of what it is for. The stock ECU contains a table with intake flows and associates them with a specific pressure read by the MAP sensor. Honda's ECU is proprietary so we can't simply go into it to read it. So we have to get that information the same way Honda originally did, by measuring it using some sort of flow meter. For ours, we are using a Venturi flow meter that uses Bernoulli's principle to calculate the velocity of the flow. Multiply that by the cross section of the pipe and it becomes volumetric flow rate. Multiply that by the density of the air (calculated using the IAT or intake air temperature) gives you mass flow rate. This is exactly what is needed to figure out how much fuel to inject using stoichiometry. The rest is all timing done by microprocessors. We tested the assembly using a shop vac. Did you know they suck at about 10 gallons per second?

TL;DR:
Hey look at the red dong we added to the engine. We had to because Honda is all secretive about their stuff.

This was from the now dying SAE thread. To be fair, it was not meant to be anything but a prototype.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Slavvy posted:

Is that a CBR600 engine?

Why yes, yes it is. More specifically a 2007 model.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Slavvy posted:

Camshaft carnage. The smaller objects are the rocker arms that I had to re-assemble CSI-style so as to know how many chunks to look for when taking the sump off. Also have to find the two pairs of collets it smacked out of the retainers. :sigh:

I guess the camshaft broke and the pistons rammed the valves into the rockers, breaking them? If that's the case it sure sounds a whole lot cheaper than replacing pistons, valves, and maybe even the head itself.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Memento1979 posted:

There was an Australian car that I can't remember the name of from the 40s60s where the fuel gauge was a piece of vertical glass tube running up the dashboard that was fed fuel directly from the tank. So you would have little marks on the glass, that would show you how much fuel was left. I'm not sure if that's worse or better than hot oil running into the passenger compartment. There certainly aren't any winners here.

fake edit: found it. The Lightburn Zeta. Holy poo poo it was a lot more recent than I thought.

Oh God.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

:stare:

Is that... really as close to the mains as it looks?

No the mains is on the complete opposite side of the house. Follow them to the telephone pole on the edge of the photo.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Poke it. Do it.

I found a failure in progress.

I should probably replace that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
haha poo poo, I didn't even notice the sway bar until now. I was more concerned with the rust holes in a structural member of the suspension.