Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Any design that requires you to look at a display to ensure you are in the gear you want rather than know by feel is indefensible no matter what way you slice it.

Quoted for truth. We explicitly purchased my wife's base model 2015 Honda CR-V because it didn't have a touch screen, even though having some of the additional features on the next model up (leather seats, sunroof) would have been really nice. We both agreed that the touchscreen interface for every commonly used function, from climate control to the entertainment system, made the car substantially more dangerous to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

What cars need is the ability to read your speed when in low gear, and when you release the brakes it maintains that speed as best it can with gear selection and engine braking. Seems like CVT's would be really good at it.

Page back but I can confirm that 2015 and higher Honda CR-Vs with the CVT standard do this. It is great when you are in cruise control, terrible when you aren't. You lift your foot off the accelerator when going downhill, expecting mild engine braking, and the CVT panics and aggressively engine brakes. Took some getting used to.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Chillbro Baggins posted:

My brother's best friend's old ('60s, first-gen) Ford Bronco has a similar problem with the spraying fuel out and catching fire. It's not the carb, he's tried two and rebuilt both twice (and I rebuilt the second carb myself before my brother donated it to the project, so I know it was good). The (new, the one the parts store said was correct for the engine) mechanical fuel pump must be making too much pressure, right? That's what I and my brother think, but buddy says it can't be possible. Do fuel pumps that hang off the side of the block driven by the cam come in FI-pressure versions?

Edit: should I be good and convince him he's wrong/give him y'alls suggestions on what to do, or be evil and make a lowball offer to buy it off him and then fix it myself?

I have limited experience with mechanical fuel pumps, but in the once instance where I had to replace one (Mercruiser engine - basically a straight-4 in a ski boat) I and my brother spent the better part of a day tearing our hair out over the fact that the newly-rebuilt carburetor kept flooding out within 30-45 seconds of engine start. Thought something had gone sideways with the rebuild, took it apart, couldn't find anything wrong.

Finally realized that the old pump gasket that we had scraped off of the side of the block was actually two gaskets held together with gasket sealer. Turns out that the "arm" of the pump was getting pushed too far by the rotation of the crankshaft (because of the lack of shims) and thus generating a lot more pressure than needed. We experimented and ended up with a stacked set of gaskets which held the fuel pump out from the block almost 1/4", which generated enough pressure to feed properly, but not enough to overwhelm the carb.

TLDR: try shimming out the fuel pump on the Bronco to reduce the the amount of pressure the pump generates.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Lies. The only screwdrivers I've ever stripped out of the handle itself (broke free of the plastic) had hex handles. Maybe back in the old days where manufacturers spent the extra .00001 cent to put metal wings on the shaft this would have worked.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I don't remember Puro ones, but I do remember Fram ones like that.

But gently caress fram and their lovely filters.

Keep seeing the Fram hate flowing here and feel compelled to point out that the dedicated lunatics over at the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums swear by the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters (XG series). All other Fram filters are complete junk, but apparently the XG is one of the top tier filters on the market. I've used them for years and had no issues, backed by intermittent Blackstone Labs oil analysis results.

Yes, they cost a bit but with oil changes regularly stretching past 7500 miles I don't mind spending a few extra bucks.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
My vote is for the kastein method with the addition of a lot of heat - acetylene if you've got it - on the exposed bolt. Get that sucker cherry red and it will come out with vice grips.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

I was just commenting to my wife that you almost never see Hummers on the road anymore. Used to be that every other car was an H2 it seemed like, now I see one and its a rare moment.

Were they just hideously unreliable in addition to being gas hogs and ugly?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

they stopped making them a while ago. I think they just weren't selling.
Could have fooled me, seemed for a few years they were everywhere in the northeast.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
I've had really good results with this Pressmaster crimper frame and crimper dies.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/560/Customizable-Crimping-Tool-Frame/

The dies are stupid expensive but this setup works 100% of the time.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

I'm just impressed that it hasn't gotten caught on the brakes or hub

Brakes? Being pretty generous IMO.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Hondas (at least my 2017 accord and 2016 odyssey) have an interesting feature where if the wipers are set to intermittent, they will always initiate at least one full sweep when you come off the brake from a stop. The rear wiper will turn on continuously if the front wipers are on at any speed / frequency and you shift into reverse.

Handy, but was confusing the first few times it happened.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Spirit AeroSystems strikes again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

home made tow hitch that screws into the recovery point

Wow. Love the inclusion of a mild steel bracket and cheese grade bolts into this abortion.