Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Bare metal is such an unbelievable flex for an auto manufacturer that I never even considered that they'd be unprotected. Do they expect you to oil the steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrQwerty posted:

The main characteristic of a stock DeLorean, outside how lovely the engine is, is the sheer amount of upkeep that the exterior of the car requires

Exactly what I mean, it's so impractical that even putting a price tag on one is a statement. I thought the bare metal ones were promo vehicles

E: that's something that super car manufacturers could get away with because they're not expected to see that many miles, and definitely not in all weather. Selling a car like that to the general public to use as their primary mode of transportation is an idea so "radical" that my brain just didn't understand that it was actually going to happen

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 24, 2024

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

chrisgt posted:

transmissions don't just lock up when going into park. the pawl will just ratchet over the gear until you're almost stopped.

It's more about the transmission being shredded apart rather than the car stopping. The pawl would probably just snap at highway speed

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

A shift lever is just a cosmetic item that wastes space and constrains design if the transmission is electronically controlled. We still haven't figured out where the reverse gear goes on a manual shifter, the only thing that is bad about the push button shifter is that the handbrake usually turns into a parking brake button, but I suppose it's no worse than a parking brake pedal

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Unpopular Opinion:

I quite liked my Jaaaaag’s rotary drive selector -

It was a decent solution and it looked cool when it popped up when the ignition came on. :colbert:

I'm actually fine with that too, it's the brilliant Chrysler implementation that put the dial shifter uncomfortably close to all of the other dials for audio and climate controls that soured most people's opinions

And also how that specific Chrysler shifter's ambiguity was likely the direct cause of death for a rising Hollywood star

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Of all of the CC gripes there are, I think it's hilarious that the closest follow distance I can set my ACC to enrages other drivers because I'm not all the way up the rear end of the car ahead of me

Stalk CC does belong in the trash though

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

No company would ever lie about the safety and reliability of their products

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The government doesn't directly test the safety of cars leaving the factory, you think they'd accept the responsibility of directly testing cars that are already on the road?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The front fell off.

No more cardboard or cardboard derivatives.

Bondo is a perfectly fine building material

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The difference between applying "enough spray foam" and aplying "way too much spray foam" is smaller than I'd want for anything that isn't insulation

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's cool to see what goes on inside the engine before a Just Rolled In clip is recorded
https://youtu.be/VaTbfvzNbxQ?si=7bdGEl2d5Xt-NTHS

I know it's a Russian channel, but as far as I can tell they're "apolitical", and even if they aren't, they're not going to get money out of Google anymore

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'd bet it's either or in a lot of states. Some old cars used to sometimes come with only one wing mirror from the factory, and enclosed cargo vehicles tend not to have rear view mirrors since it's hard to see through a wall

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Rear position off for energy saving

Those energy efficient LED's pull almost 3% of 1 horsepower in alternator draw, and that extra gallon of gas used per ~10k miles is really going to add up if the car runs continuously for a century or so :ignorance:

Collateral Damage posted:

Lights are not just for visibility, they're also to let the surrounding know that the vehicle is active.

Whoever at GM decided that reverse lights should stay on for a minute after the car is turned off should be taken out back behind the shed. I understand that the extra illumination is nice if you're somewhere with bad lighting, but that should be an optional setting or just an extra set of lights that don't indicate a car is going to move backwards

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Aren't a ton of high heat aluminum compounds technically ceramics?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I want to be able to turn my lights off when the car is in drive, but I don't want the average driver to be able to

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Galler posted:

IMO if the car is on the headlights and taillights should be on. Optionally there may be a way to turn off the lights when the car is in park but it should be buried deep in the infotainment menus. That option should also default back to lights whenever the car is turned off/on.

I'm willing to compromise, since I'm able to just hardware bypass it if I really felt that strongly, and the average person probably wouldn't see much of a problem to begin with

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Data Graham posted:

They still make those people?

One of my secret criteria when we were looking at new cars was how obnoxious the seatbelt reminder was. Getting the missus to consistently wear a seat belt was so frustrating that I needed to be sure there was something that would force her to wear one when I wasn't in the car

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Last thing I'm going to trust is airbags/circuits/logic/sensors on a vehicle. The entire industry is a clusterfuck.

Seatbelts are the go to.

I used to be skeptical about the overabundance of airbags until I got in a crash in a brand new car. The extra airbags saved me from a broken leg and a permanent neck injury

It really sucks that Takata made all of those claymore mines and reignited airbag fears, there is a reason to use more stable explosives and to better control the environment that airbags are assembled in

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

On a Mitsubishi? Not for very long, I'd imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It is free real estate, so what would realistically not suck if you put it there?