Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
My friend bought a Golf 4Motion, 2.8 V6. The previous owner said "It made a noise then it stopped running."

Got it in the shop, ready to convert to 1.8T. went to turn the engine over to check.. locked up completely..

Engine out:

Started stripping it, something's not right..

This shouldn't be..

Not good..

Kinda hosed..

Moar pics tomorrow when i go back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

When Harry Piston, met Sally Valve

(And don't worry, this is not my engine)

MK 3 TDI?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Yep. AHU block.

Did they forget their timing belt interval or did they shift it into Georgia Overdrive?

One of my favourite diesel disasters, a boat anchor VM Motori 2.8 that had a leaking injector.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Moar!

Ford Transit Connect hub. I thought the wheel bearing was shot until i put the hub puller on to remove the CV joint and bits fell out the hub:

Don't know the back story, i was sent these pics:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

What a waste...

VM Motori engines are crap. :eng99:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

But its the only other stock diesel the Jeep XJ came with :argh:

Yeah, the 2.5, which is also crap. Poorly designed. Done a number of cylinder head gaskets on them because no-one else will touch them!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BoostCreep posted:

What about the 3.0 V6 in the new Grand Cherokee? :ohdear:

Don't count on it being good in the long run.

Looking at pics of the cylinder heads, that's gonna be trouble for seized diesel injectors.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 22, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Months later, and my hand is still two different colours from the burns.

Bugdrvr posted:

I was a tech for Audi for three years. VAG makes lovely goddamn cars. They drive nice, they look nice but they break and no one can fix them.

No, they're the best cars in the world. :colbert:

(I love mine, i will defend them to the death..)

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 1, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
My old Golf gearbox. Sheared a diff rivet, which fell down by the ring gear which spat it out the casing. No oil, it sounded like a screaming supercharger. Still drove ok, aside from jumping out of 3rd occasionally.

Camshaft from a 2.5 TDI. Turns out they don't bend valves when the cambelt snaps, the pistons slam the valves with smash the tappets and shatter the cam! :buddy:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Das Volk posted:

I would suggest the thread should be renamed to "Post pictures of horrible VAG failures" but people might get the wrong idea :v:

Fleshlights are mechanical! :buddy:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrChips posted:

Is that the end result of the dreaded "self-machining rivets" you're talking about?

Yessir. In the case of that gearbox (02E) the rivets shear one head off under load which then decides to make its escape via the diff housing. This generally results in a ruined day, and in the the case of that particular one, me getting a free Golf.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I really need to start a business selling people car components made out of completely inappropriate but exotic-sounding material for five times what would be considered reasonable. Line up for your Inconel lug nuts here, folks!

And you need to name the company Because Racecar. :colbert:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ferremit posted:

toyodiy.com is a fantastic resource for finding genuine part numbers for practically every toyota/lexus ever made too

And RealOEM for BMW/Mini. They even have a VIN number search, which is awesome.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Sudo Echo posted:

Turn signals still work, it's good to drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fid6wTPBzU

Considering it's still driving and even has working indicators and isn't all the over the place, i'd venture to say that's a horrible mechanical success.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Motronic posted:

I haven't tried to do one of these so I have to ask.....was using a standard spring compressor really any different than what the magical special tool was supposed to do? That didn't look like some kind of hellish dual spring like I deal with on 944s (unless you didn't show the inner spring) so what exactly is the special tool supposed to do for you?

Somewhat similar to mine:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

This is what I have.

I have one of those as well. Works fine, but can be awkward. That's more similar to the VW genuine one, than the one i posted earlier.

To cover everything you need 4 or 5 different types.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Isn't naptha lighter fluid? Not something I'd buy by the gallon though. We do use kerosene based oils to wash steel before it's pressed though.

I think Naptha is the main ingredient in brake cleaner. I think..

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

:eng101: Hah! He was going to Doncaster!

Probably from Rotherham. :colbert:

Trying to get home in time for tea. No time to waste with trivial things like lowering the crane into a safe position.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

xzzy posted:

Get one of those apprentices instead, get them do that poo poo while you shout encouragement from the other side of the building.

England version.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

The tire is black, so why not find a cop?

Brutal.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Huggable Bear King posted:

This video is scary, it starts off not looking too bad until he starts whacking it with a hammer and there are just crumbling sounds. gently caress rust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2din5kmNqfw

:stare:

The paint is literally holding it together.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Vanagoon posted:

Reminds me of the V8 Taurus SHO Cam issue. Cam Sprockets were attached via "Swaging"

We have/had (FWD) gearboxes here where the ring gear is pressed onto the diff. Just pressed.. no bolts, not rivets, no splines.

You can imagine how well they last.

Slavvy posted:

It has a cylindrical crankshaft tip and the sprocket just sits over the top and gets held still (by the pressure exerted by the crank pulley bolt) against the flat end of the crank.

A lot of engines have this. Most Ford 4-cylinders engines now. Lots of chain-drive GM engines have "freewheeling" sprockets for crank and cams, where you lock them in place with the sprockets loose, release the chain tensioner and then tighten the sprocket bolts. BMW/MINI engines too.

It's a very common system, and it does work.

CommieGIR posted:

The camshaft on the VW motors is friction held as well. Always makes me paranoid when I torque it, but never had an issue yet.

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea the first time I did a TDI timing belt that freaked me out since its so critical and the bolt is only torqued to 33 ft/lbs.

It's critical that it's tight, but i've never done one to that exact torque, and have done a lot of work on TDIs. In my experience as a mechanic torque wrenches are used far less frequently than people think, and without wheels and cam belts and cylinder heads falling off left, right and centre.

The injector pump TDI cam bolts? Gun them off, gun them back on.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

chrisgt posted:

This might help explain how bad the steering was on my outback...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QArPq_j-lEU

:stare:

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, I know, I'm just not that brave.

It's a big bolt it can take it! :v:

I always wonder what people who work on their own cars would think is they saw some of this stuff. I used to be on a VW forum and there were real anal-retentive members who worked on their own cars as DIYers and were adamant that everything had to be torqued to spec and done by the service manual.

Errr.. no. Not out in the real world.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrYenko posted:

Dealership mechanic spotted.

Actually i only worked at a Volvo dealership briefly.

Flat rate! :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Terrible Robot posted:

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the flat-rate way! :pseudo:

Time is money! :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

kastein posted:

I torque a few things:
Head bolts
Bolts that affect bearing preload or oil clearance (case halves, rod/main bearing caps, diff bearing caps, unit bearing axle nuts - yes these matter)
Spark plugs, if I decide I give a poo poo
... and that's about it.

Everything else gets snugged down however it seems right to - the bigger the bolt, the more torque I toss it.

I've literally never torqued a lug nut, never stripped one, never lost a wheel, had one come loose once but that's because I left dirt on the flange by accident and it would have come loose even if I torqued it. Caught it within ~75-100 miles because I always double check after about that long.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

User Error posted:

Is that the one that can do torque angle as well? A friend has one, I used it to put bearings in a BMW motor once. It was magical.

I just recently got the new TechAngle one. Does torque + angle, and the readout shows the torque/angle you've reached as you go, and it vibrates, beeps and has lights to show you as you get close to your desired setting.

Cost a fortune but so worth it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Because they already have a killswitch hello arent you listening?

Are you still collecting obscure head gaskets?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I wanted to put new universal joints on my van when i had the gearbox overhauled, but ran out of money.

Not looking forward to it. :stare:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

cursedshitbox posted:

Its usually not bad unless they're staked in, and if they are then just loving slam your dick in the hood.

I think they're just pressed in on mine.

I'm sure i can drag my lazy rear end back under it to find out when the driveshaft falls out from neglect.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Argenteus posted:

Customer came in for four tires and an alignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP7K_7gedS8

They only got the tires. :smith:

And there are people in the US who are against annual safety inspections. :stare:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

EightBit posted:

It's maddening to see the procedure for removing tension from a belt being to thread a bolt into a hole. Working on American vehicles has spoiled me.

VR6?

Just put a wrench on the square tab to release the tensioner. You put the bolt in to hold the tensioner.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Well this shouldn't be..

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Much as it'd be funny to continue the "lol VAG", that's probably the fault of whoever messed with it last.

(Me)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

What happened? It strip out the aluminium when you removed the bolt to fit the polybush?

The entire mount and polybush were changed some months ago, as the old one was worn. Threads didn't look great so they were Heli-coil'd. Was fine for months, then recently started knocking. Got worse and worse, one night driving into central London there was a loud clunk and it was obvious it was really bad.

No idea where the front bolt went, no trace of it. They were both definitely tight, and both Heli-coil'd. Fitted larger bolts tonight, will swapp bell housings and will Heli-coil the replacement for M12 bolts. It just seemed to tear them out, back bolt pulled the Heli-coil out completely. hosed the hole pretty good, so it was redone to M12.

Credit to the car, even with a completely disconnected mount, she still drove 2 miles home (uphill) fine!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's what one of my tranny crossmember bolts looked like when I dropped it. Luckily there was enough metal left to tap (after driving all over town to find an M12x1.25 tap and fresh bolts on a weekend) but I'll continue to poo poo my pants every time I hear a loud BANG from the underside of the car from now on. Probably should've helicoiled it uuugh.

I've had plenty of bolts pull their threads out, especially in aluminium. But i think this is the first time i've seen one pull its threads out and its Heli-coil.

I have two odd threads because one hole was ok to just tap larger, and one needed Heli-coiling larger, so both M12, one 1.5 and 1.25 i think. gently caress knows, it only needs to last tomorrow, then i can swap boxes and parts to keep the LSD but replace the bellhousing.

Dashcam caught the bang as my van spring snapped! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDUDPG0DPCo

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ChewedFood posted:

What the hell am I even looking at?

MK 4 Golf lower gearbox mount.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

drat leaf spring.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 17, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

Aaand we return to our usual programming, VAGLOL.

It's basically a Sprinter. Mercedes spring :colbert:

That's my story and i'm sticking to it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

Sprinters are RWD though...

Yeah.. and so are Crafters, like mine..