Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
It’s probably called that because the evaporator being inside probably makes it way less prone (in most cases, not this one obviously) to getting it’s fins messed up.

I’ll never forget working for a lawn service as a kid weed whacking and hitting the fins on a condenser outside and seeing them immediately bend as if by magic from the spinning wire. It was only much later that I realized and felt bad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Midjack posted:

Looks Like the Tin Man's Undies After Taco Tuesday.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ratcheting crimpers rule for electronics connectors that are super small. My gigantic fingers would never be able to get it right, but with ratcheting I can put the connector in, rachet it down a little and then push the wire in and finish crimping.

I just wish there weren’t so many freakin types of connectors

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I put a butt connector on one wire along with heat shrink, then I carefully make a perfect linesman splice of the two wires, then I fill the splice with solder, then I bring the butt connector over the splice, crimp as needed, now it’s the heat shrinks’ turn to go over the butt connector; only use flame from a propane torch to heat your heat shrink, butane is a bastard gas. Now enclose the entire thing in hot glue, build a form for epoxy resin and fill it with the wire in the middle… finally pot the splice in cement for better wear in higher traffic locations.

Car stereo installed!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

kastein posted:

quit loving cheaping out on the crimps and use the good fully brazed ferrule ones with the marine grade double wall heatshrink, but otherwise, agreed.

Got a recommendation here? I’m mostly a splice and solder guy, but I can see where these might be useful

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

kastein posted:

I don't like those solder seal things at all for anything but temp repairs and definitely not in engine bays, they're low temp solder.

What I mean is something like raychem duraseal. The real deal is expensive AF, you can usually get away with the knockoff poo poo from Amazon and they'll be fine.

These work, they're from one of those annoying autogenerated brand names that spam up Amazon and I hate buying from them, but I'm too broke not to:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L29DLGN
Only complaint: the heatshrink is a bit hard and stiff. Not a big deal, it works, I used these on most of my J10 builds EFI harness where they fit, including shortening most of the main engine to ECU wiring bundle.

These also work, though I'm a bit displeased with how thin and soft the copper is on the terminals, I'm not sure I'd recommend them for a car engine bay. I have used them on some non critical stuff like aux lighting and dummy light wiring as well as fixed building wiring on a house with success though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087QTK1Y2

You can get raychem duraseal legit stuff on digikey, mouser, and even at the parts store in small blister packs that will cost you a kidney or your soul per unit. I only buy there when I'm truly hosed and need it right goddamn now.

Thanks for this… I’m sick of getting electrical stuff from Amazon that sucks. I’m learning to Save the headache as much as you can for this crap.

Don’t want to give my kidney though

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

X-posting from my thread cause it easily belongs here.
The "7.3 reliable" 6.7 Powerstroke ate its 4th turbo in under 100k and almost number 5 in the same day.

I pulled the inlet at the storage yard. the wheel is seized solid. Great it's a poo poo turbo or it's not getting oil. Either way, it needs to go away soon.
The hotside of the turbo got so hot it is now pink.

Driving it a few blocks it lost almost a gallon of oil. It deposited it directly into the dpf. It smokes like all hell after about 15 mins of running. Turbo is clearly getting oil.
We had planned to swap the turbo at a campsite some miles away from Nephi, UT. (Nee-phi otherwise they'll judge you if you ever decide to stop there)
That didn't happen so I picked an open cement lot.

One hour fifteen minutes in, the turbo is out.

Compressor.

Turbine.

3 ish hours total, 4 from driving to driving. DPF was packed to north of 150% designed load. It threw a fit and went into immediate regen, smoking out the town. Some locals liked the sight, I abhorred it.
It also threw the 'wrench' icon to take it in for a stationary regen. I like to think it means it's time to fix the 6.7 again.

60 miles later around 10 am pushing 95F, we decide on lunch.
Pull in, walk around. Puddle. Big Puddle. From what looks to be the hot side. God loving Dammit This Mother loving Truck.
The wrench icon was on the nose.
This was right after I noticed it. It was about 3x as big after lunch.

Guy I bought the turbo from I guess decided to remove the second oil galley plug on the turbo's chra. I didn't bother to check because who does that sorta thing. Well it finished rattling out right as I parked the truck before I let it idle for 5 minutes. This engine has no oil pressure gauge. Just an idiot sender that the pcm reports a boolean on. It does not know oil level but it 'guesses' oil level. The dipstick is worse than useless.

2 quarts down. It almost ate its fifth turbo on the same day I put it in. Put the plug back in and other than the gargantuan mess it made of everything, it was fine.

If you own one of these without a warranty, get loving rid of it asap.
At this point I do not think there is anyway to fix this thing and maintain emissions compliance. It is excruciatingly hard on turbos when loaded. I am unwilling to test this theory.

Sorry you’re having to deal with this… but I have questions:

What’s DPF?
What does it mean to run it at 150% load?
What’s a regen? Same but stationary regen? How do they differ?
What’s an oil galley plug on a turbos chra? If the guy left it out, how did you have one to put in?
A truck like that has no way to measure oil pressure? Seriously?
How is the dipstick worthless? I can’t imagine a more simple technology than “put stick into liquid, pull it out, and check for a mark” so I’m curious to how they hosed it up
In your pics of the turbo compressor and turbine, are there any faults that can be seen? I’m not sure what to look for?

I’m sure you’re super busy, so only give me answers when you have time… or let someone else answer to help me understand.

Good luck!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

1. Diesel particulate filter. It's a ceramic substrate similar to that of your typical automotive catalyst that is extremely effective at capturing small diesel particulates.
It accumulates and needs to be burnt off occasionally. If it can't be burnt off the DPF is removed and sent in to be burned at high enough temperatures to remove the ash.

2. DPF soot accumulation. 0-100% is allowable. 101-200% is overloaded. 200%+ the truck shuts down.
3. See part of answer 1. The system fires the left bank injectors on the exhaust stroke to raise exhaust gas temperatures. This fuel runs through the turbocharger turbine and into the exhaust system helping burn off the accumulated soot.
4. The part highlighted in whatever color is the CHRA. Center Housing Rotating Assembly. It's the bearing/oil/coolant chunk of the turbocharger. The boxes in white are the oil supply and the oil galley plug. When one isn't used the other is plugged. It backed out but didn't fall off the engine. See the second image.

5. Aboslutely! It just returns a boolean. Think of it like an idiot light but with some software logic. Like so.

(oil volume is calculated, not measured. probably on the rate of change of oil temp vs coolant)
6. The dipstick threads into the engine between the block and flywheel. It's a 4 ish foot long tube that inserts next to the rear main. It's hard to get a reading because of such.
7. The compressor/turbine are visibly off center and there is metal scraping damage visible against the respective housings. Also the turbine/compressor should have a millimeter maybe two of space between the wheels and the housing, not 10mm+

This is a better explanation than I could have ever hoped for… thx man!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

This… I live in Texas and lol at our inspections but I still would never get my inspection done at a place that did anything more than an oil change… maybe a bulb replacement

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

That’s dope as hell

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Early’s gonna be pissed people are talkin smack about his truck-boat-truck

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Standard column shifter supremacy

FTFY

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Ford recalled about 1.5M Pintos to fix the burny tank issue, but over 5M teslas have been sold now, so ratio-wise they're probably about the same level of dying by fire risk

If I recall, they were pretty much shamed into the recall. The whole debacle is something we remember not so much for the death toll, but for the leaks of internal memos discussing how much the recall would cost vs litigation from dead people’s families. This was back when people used to care whether companies were evil of course. Half the country would probably call it “shrewd” for a corporation to decide to save money by killing people vs litigation from the use of their unsafe product nowadays… while accepting tons of taxpayer subsidies of course

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I think they’re great, but they should be adjusted sometimes. Most of them have an adjustment I think… at least the ones I’ve driven.

My girlfriend had never used high beams much before me. Or cruise control. Fair enough, if you’re not comfortable using them, don’t use them

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I have no idea what vehicle this applies to or how old it is…

Can I drive my Pinto or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

kastein posted:

So did the Toyota UZ family of engines, but I give both them and GM a free pass on that because at least they didn't also put the alternator there. I don't think anyone has actually. I hope no one ever does.

If the concept of a valley could be extended to a plane, then my old air-cooled 911 had the alternator in the “valley” :D