Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Never done it, but a fairly common mishap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, you will have to season your Cybertruck like a cast iron skillet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ford is quite capable of making GBS threads themselves without any help.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kastein posted:

I've already seen multiple people suggesting that you should refresh your stainless bodywork by scrubbing it with steel wool. :lmao:

Memory might be hazy, but IIRC reading about it at the time that was the Delorean method. Different alloys, etc.

Of course I'm probably wrong. Not implying it was normal to give it a once over with a SOS pad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Probably a liability standpoint vs implementation.

Imagine some 16-year-old that claims they were pushing buttons to turn on the wipers during a storm...and well the drat thing went into park causing a skid and 10 puppies get thrown out into downed powerlines.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

chrisgt posted:

transmissions don't just lock up when going into park. the pawl will just ratchet over the gear until you're almost stopped.

Like I said liability. For push button controls, there will be a controller motor/module that controls the parking pawl/shifts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That is why the modern car needs a tiller.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm going to assume the triangles are for descent control and not volume.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

All I know is that somehow, doesn't matter where, the second I hit the cruise button I attract everyone who feels the need to cut me off and drive below the limit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

I also have been sticking with my speed limit plus one MPH since November and it's fantastic. I get passed by a lot of folks speeding when traffic opens up just to see them again in a few minutes when it's blocked up again. The only way they are making up any time is if they're taking the exit before the slowdown and they rarely are, which is perfectly logical since those exits aren't popular and that's why traffic flows so well past them.

I always like the deja vu crap. Pass an interesting load on a tractor trailer...then someone needs the pee break. Fifteen minutes later you pass the same drat thing again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So do you have to remember a sequence of different lights to finally start the car?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not sure I'd trust a civil engineer to evaluate any car mods.

Worked well on the Hyatt walkway and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Guess my basic question is wouldn't this failure be reported and someone would need to fill out a shitload of paperwork.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lmao @ the die.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

We were excavating behind the roundhouse of a local rail yard and found a flintstones piston that's gone through hell. Almost looks like a fossil.

It's clearly a piston, but why would it be made of a mineral/ceramic substance like this?

You should be able to take some measurements (diameter, wrist pin size, skirt size, ring count, etc.) and search catalogs for the application given its good condition.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Not wearing one you are tossed free and clear and able to walk away. There was a video posted two weeks back in this forum demonstrating that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

No. 6 posted:

Airbags can deploy at different rates. It pops much faster when you're belted, slower when the car detects no belt buckled.

It does this because the rapid deployment can cause serious injury. So cheating the car into thinking you're belted is dumb for multiple reasons.

Last thing I'm going to trust is airbags/circuits/logic/sensors on a vehicle. The entire industry is a clusterfuck.

Seatbelts are the go to.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

After finding a leak in the radiator...the owner proceeds to add 55 gallons of Stop Leak to the pool.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That is quite a laugh...

I've been to a ton of dealerships/service centers/repair shops...whatever...

And I'll leave out the Indie type mechanics that specializes, has the concrete block walls, a computer system from Soviet Russia generating invoices on tri-carboned paper from a dot matrix printer yet has a few million worth of cars in the bays.

It is either a marbled palace or a shithole at big dealerships. There is no in-between. You are either experiencing marble with a Keurig or smelling gas/oil/Napa type store smells.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just a minor oil container derailment.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jonny Nox posted:

(don't google Pentastar plastic oil filter housing)

I'll save the others from googling because sadly I don't have to...

Imagine in a world where...Dorman...makes a replacement part that is vastly superior to OEM.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

After all the recent breakdown footage, I took a look at RockAuto yesterday for what was available in the way of Tesla 3 parts...and was fairly impressed with the selection. A crap ton of it was Dorman but there was quite a selection of suspension, door handles, etc.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

It is free real estate, so what would realistically not suck if you put it there?

Ranch dressing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, the Northstar placed the starter there.

Of course plenty of turbo motors (i.e. Ford Powerstroke) have turbo there for maximum thermal efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Regardless of anything else, it’s loving stupid PR for Tesla to squeeze their first five thousand customers like this.

I get there is no thing as bad PR but yikes...