Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Tornadoes in my area recently reminded me of something that happened a while back. Anyone happen to know if jet-a seals are compatible with 100ll? Intuition tells me it might not be. Was accepting a fuel load recently when a seal burst in the fuel filter sump assembly and started spraying low lead everywhere. This fuel filter assembly which is currently connected to our low lead tank was previously hooked up to our jet-a tank, hence the question. About this time thunder starts to become audible over the delivery truck idling. It would have probably been an easy fix to mummy it with electrical tape or something until it could be drained, except that tornado sirens started going off a few minutes later, and AWOS was later reporting gusts of 62ish knots (our system doesn't appear to record windspeed above 62 knots) from a storm cell traveling directly towards us in the opposite direction of prevailing winds.

From the time the rest of the fuel load was rejected to the time that the assumed tornado touched down a mile south of us was maybe ten minutes, just enough time to get vehicles and then myself to shelter. When I first tried to step out of the maintenance shop to head to the FBO, the wind caught me unaware and physically pushed me back into the building when I opened the door, and when I finally managed to leave the building there was some pretty distinct rotation in the clouds coming my way. When the rain started about two steps out the door it felt like I was being sandblasted by water, unsurprising considering the rain was potentially traveling at 62 knots (I didn't check AWOS until later. It took all of ten seconds for me to become completely soaked, and visibility quickly dropped to almost nothing. Coworkers and I spent a half an hour or so laughing and hoping we wouldn't die at the fact that our building had no basement or tornado safe areas in the middle of the midwest.

Scary rain aside no damage ended up happening to the property, but the fuel filter and all of its associated lines spent an uninterrupted 45 minutes leaking at whatever pace it felt like in the midst of high winds and lightning. It's difficult to describe, but the fuel filter is built atop a reservoir assembly meant to keep small leaks from entering groundwater or something. When the storm ended and we got a chance to assess the surprisingly minimal damage, filter was sitting in a pond of avgas, dammed in place by oildry that someone had tried to soak up the fuel with. Everything including electrical lines were submerged in an inch of low lead. Manager and I ended up draining 35 or so gallons out of the filter sump and then dredging through the kitty litter by hand to let the fuel drain onto the ground out of the reservoir thing.

I took a long shower and threw away the clothing I was wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

MrYenko posted:

Ya, Jet-A and avgas are mostly compatible. You don’t basically ever want to mix them because spark engines won’t run on Jet-A, but it won’t cause fuel system problems like ethanol or something.

The FAA answer is *DETONATION MAY OCCUR*

I thought I had remembered something about seals not being compatible but looking back I think that was for skydrol and 5606

Also skydrol and anything other than skydrol

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

MrYenko posted:

Correct. Skydrol doesn’t mix with anything at all, including but not limited to engine oil, 5606 hydraulic fluid, mechanics, plastic ID badges, etc.

I’ve posted this story elsewhere, but I once had an MD-11 come in from South America with a hot engine, and we found the entire contents of a hydraulic system in the oil sump. Six gallons of skydrol, drained out of the engine.

It was a fun night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lehDBlH4iz8
Minutes 12-20 are great
"Skydrol is skin safe, but make sure to wipe it off of tires, paint, plexiglas, tools, floors, or wire insulation to prevent damage"
lol

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 4, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

That guy with the glasses is brave. "Ok, so this stuff we've poured on the table will melt your glasses if they stay in it too long. So we want you to put your glasses in the puddle, wipe them off, and then put them back on your face"

I'd guess he was either an actor with no idea what he was messing with, or he may have just dipped them in lookalike liquid.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Undershadowed just a little bit by the insane wheel of death above, but I have a little content from work today

Nice job making access panels accessible

A couple million dollars buys you these rivets

gently caress

WHAT THE gently caress

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
:stare:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

IPCRESS posted:

So does this mean you need to do a full inventory of the parts of the tool, or is that level of detail only for engine work?

The bit broke in a fastener for an access plate in the interior. Ten years down the road we're gonna see an episode of Destroyed In Seconds about a mechanic neglecting to spend his entire day finding every piece of his broken #2 magnet phillips bit, a small fragment of which the NTSB determined migrated in between the control cables and pulleys, accelerating wear enough to cause loss of control resulting in a single fatality, several hundred pages of legislation, and a kickstarter campaign destined to disrupt the entire maintenance industry

If it were the engine I'd be concerned, but the thing comes out of the factory with loose ty wraps in the fuel tanks and aluminum shavings behind the access panels, by the simple virtue of not throwing sand in the intake I am leaving the thing better off than I found it

The frustration comes from needing to borrow bits until the snapon man comes again to spread the light of his lifetime warranty upon my tools again

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

is this a 37? what are we looking at on this landing gear tire other than it has WTF written on it?

I am a child with a child's sense of humor

I think it was a 319, but it's from one of 6 or 7 airliners at the terminal that all called in for potential lightning strike when the lights dimmed in the terminal

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 2, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

That was a good beer.

Takes second place to Donaudampfschiffsscheinwerferreinigungsanlagegesellschaft

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Wow how could that have happened I have no idea

Sure looks like someone shot a buillet of roughly .308 or flathead screwdriver proportions into my stabilator
[We accept payment in cash or credit]

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 8, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry I forgot to mention the important thing that the first picture is the entrance and is on top of the stabilator, the second picture is the exit from the bottom of the stabilator. I am not a ballistics expert but I don't think he got shot from the plane above him. Yesterday I was pretty sure it was a flathead screwdriver and the big hammer from someone who decided they didn't like him but I think that should have bent the surrounding metal more so I'm back to assuming it was a meteor

E: Pilot noticed it on preflight so could have been any time between then and his previous preflight, but considering above I assume ground
I would be taking it a lot less lightheartedly if there was any reason to suspect he was shot in flight

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 8, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

PainterofCrap posted:

When parked, is the stabilator is hanging down? Is there any other part of the airframe ahead of the tail that would be in the way of trajectory?

I have my doubts that a screwdriver+hammer would chip the paint that far out on the entrance side.

Do people hunt near the airport, perhaps? A missed shot nearing spent velocity might do that; the slug would be nearby, though.

This is roughly its resting orientation with trajectory. The exit is indeed aft of the entrance as indicated.

Don't know anything about its home airport

I dunno about the paint chipping, I'd think a bullet would be likely to chip less paint considering the small amount of energy it actually imparts to the surface, relative to say, banging a bunch on it with a screwdriver, but I don't know if I buy the screwdriver either because you'd think the metal around the entrance would be bent inwards more.

The Door Frame posted:

Dumbasses do shoot guns straight up, and those bullets come down eventually

Terminal velocity on bullets isn't that fantastic if mythbusters is to be believed, I don't buy that someone shot it straight up and it managed to penetrate through the top and bottom. Pilot said he looked everywhere for a bullet and didn't find anything, I don't know if he thought to check for chipping on the ground if he was parked on concrete.

I think I have to default to assuming it was a bullet. What I didn't think to check was whether or not the bullet actually penetrated out through the bottom, there's a small possibility it didn't make it all the way through and rebounded back inside the stabilator, but that's kind of a long shot.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So I went and googled a bunch of formula calculators, they are indicating that a 22LR falling at terminal velocity carries about 9.6 joules, a .308 carries about 52 joules, a .50 cal carries about 418 joules, all of those discounting the possibility of tumbling interfering with airflow. I don't know how this translates to the possibility of punching through two layers of what is probably .040 aluminum.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Inflammable means flammable? What a country.

And flammable means flammable too!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

Non-conforming condition: repair per blah blah blah spec yup

Significantly easier than patching a hole on a 787 :v:

Just slap a doubler on it it'll be fiiiiine

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

Wouldn't the exit hole be considerable larger than the entry?

The picture I took didn't show the profile of the exit very well, it basically splits and has two lips that bend backwards with a profile as if a screwdriver was put through it; I would liken it to the mouth of a vent worm, or that one asteroid space worm from Empire Strikes Back. I would think it would take an awful lot of force to go through two layers of sheet aluminum in one go without pushing the surrounding sheet metal downwards.

I guess what I'm trying to say is whatever made the hole was moving fairly quickly and with enough force to penetrate each layer in one go, and I don't know if you could do that with a screwdriver, but it seems difficult to explain the circumstances behind a bullet doing the same thing.

Cojawfee posted:

What if someone launched a screwdriver? What then, Einstein?

It is definitely one of the more likely possibilities that someone launched a screwdriver by transfer of kinetic energy using the big hammer

E: Or, a narrative that makes a decent amount of sense, someone was shooting pigeons and they missed.

Double Edit

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why on earth are you people assuming the bullet is at terminal velocity? You can see the angle it hit at, that it was far from falling straight down. There's a round entrance and a non round exit which is perfectly in line with a bullet that's still flying point-first, following an arcing path, and inconsistent with a fall at terminal velocity.

One of you even mentioned the Mythbusters episode where they found that a bullet fired even a few degrees from straight up comes down at bullet speed, not at terminal velocity. They talked to a doctor who told them about people dying from bullets coming down at very steep angles.

If you google for bullet holes in stuff you can see that irregular areas of knocked off paint is normal for bullet holes.
Terminal velocity is easy to math out, but you're not wrong

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 9, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Gravity doesn't oppose the horizontal speed, the only decrease in the value of the horizontal speed is from wind resistance. Depending on the degrees off vertical that you are firing the decrease in your horizontal speed may be pretty negligible by the time that gravity has stopped the bullet from traveling upwards.

If someone fires a bullet directly upwards, the bullet will have no horizontal speed, and will fall at no more than terminal velocity. It will land on the shooter and make a *boink* noise and probably be uncomfortable
If someone is trying to shoot at a target a decent distance away they aim upwards somewhat to compensate for the force of gravity opposing the bullet's straight path. At the parabola the round's vertical speed becomes zero but the horizontal speed has been reduced by an amount you would consider negligible if you were on the receiving end.
If someone is celebrating the fourth of July on their porch in Tennessee and fires a shotgun slug with 1800 feet per second muzzle velocity at ten degrees off of vertical, it will be initially traveling at about 312 feet per second horizontally, decreased due to wind resistance by an amount I would probably consider negligible if I happen to be standing where it lands

This is an oversimplification of course, but it illustrates the math involved

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

As a war nerd, the video set up expectations that were not met.

Edit:

A failure in a similar vein

:stare:
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/b-17/tail3.htm

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I still watch AvE, his channel is a good case study in tunnelvision troubleshooting

I think I'll follow recommendations and check out This Old Tony though

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Why do the logbooks show the engine was reinstalled after overhaul and then sent out for overhaul a week later? Maybe it was because someone managed to connect a fuel line directly into the crankcase when they reinstalled the engine.

E:

stevewm posted:

I once vaporized a screwdriver...

Was helping a friend install a new clothes dryer. He had managed to wire the cord wrong; forgetting to use the included jumper between the ground and neutral terminals. (for those who don't know, 240v electric clothes dryers in the US are typically sold without cords, you have to install one yourself) Got distracted during the process and somehow we failed to turn the breaker off AND unplug the cord from the wall.

The breaker did flip, but not before half of the screwdriver and one of the hot terminals had completely disappeared.

I have a similar story. For a year or so former boss, his son, and I, would go out and work on former boss' dead dad's DIY maintenance home from the early 1900s. The dead guy was criminally management material and we managed to barely avoid serious house related injuries every time we went out. I don't think I can really make this one exciting so I'll cut to the chase and advise you that just because there is a breaker labeled 'basement' doesn't mean that the outlet box in the basement that you're sticking a screwdriver into isn't wired into the attic breaker.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 13, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
You are currently real close to crossing the lines and then I'm gonna be real short with you

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 14, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Don't worry it's just a phase

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Small brain teaser for everyone

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Oh you sweet summer child

This is only an inspection access panel, and one of the ones that had screws in every screw hole at that

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 18, 2018

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

InitialDave posted:

Someone went too far drilling out a stuck screw previously, enlarging the hole in the cover, and so had to supplement it with a countersunk washer as a repair?
Yarp

And we're on to the next brainteaser

Bonus points if you can tell me what the line running around the bottom of the jar is

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

Well, the E-Z Mix on the bottom implies something to do with paint. I'll guess that's what the line is - it contained paint and was left sitting on a wet surface, which it then stuck to.

No cigar

Scottishprog posted:

My guess: Oil from a terminal engine.... lotsa babbit material on the bottom.

Won't say it's not an engine on its last legs, but it's only 600 hours

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Your gut feeling might be right on this one

Also, the little line on the bottom of the jar is from a magnet being dragged across the outside bottom of the jar

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
DAS IST 'NE KOLBEN

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The off spring is a very appropriate band name

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Queen Combat posted:

But if you're patching a hole, drill six more holes?

Actually, yes, although quite a few more smaller holes filled with rivets would probably be better, and you could also just get a new oil pan for both less cost and effort than trying to patch it anyways

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Darchangel posted:

If it's horrible but it works, is it horrible?

That's my line of thought. Did they drill and tap the aluminum pan, or did they remove the oil pan to use nuts inside? Of course I know the answer, in my heart
Trick question, bolts are retained with RTV and prayers

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Beach Bum posted:

Pee. Tee. Cruiser. :colbert:

I mean, would it really be that bad if they drilled and tapped? Any shavings that would make it into the pan are going to have to get through the pick up screen and the oil filter first...

The integrity of the aluminum taps would be a greater concern than shavings to me

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah, it's certainly fake, it's also a mechanical failure of some sort

When I get on good internet again I've got a picture of what is either a mechanical failure or insurance fraud to share

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 5, 2020

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Vehicle owner wasn't present. Insurance fraud, mechanical failure in combo with panic, stolen truck, or something else?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
What language is that?

I think I got the gist of it but yeesh

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
With any inhalant, you can damage your brain by oxygen deprivation if you aren't dosing it properly, but I'm sure that if you're huffing nitrous oxide you're making sure to do the math and keep track of your intake

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
And if you use skydrol, it won't torch the truck either!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I made ferrofluid at work today!
Well, the machine made ferrofluid at work today
https://i.imgur.com/2oNV6qo.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The machine in question is not intended to convert bearings and lubricating oil into ferrofluid