Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shai-Hulud posted:

Just to put this into perspective. This is whats necessary to get a Class B licence (Cars up to 3,5t, up to 8 people and a trailer that weighs a maximum of 750kg as long as this does not put the car/trailer combo over 3,5t) in germany. Class B is the "normal" licence most people get:

- 18 years old (you can get a licence at 17 but you need to be accompanied while driving by a person thats at least 30 years old, had a licence for at least 5 years and is sober until you turn 18)
- pass a first aid course (at least nine 45 minute lessons)
- have your eyes checked
- theoretical education is at least 14 lessons of 90 minutes. At the end you get a 30 question multiple choice quiz and if you fail you have to redo the quiz which costs about 25€ every time (failure is based on point system, usually it takes 2-3 wrong answers to fail)
- actual driving is is done "as needed" but at least 5 lessons outside of cities, 4 on the Autobahn and 3 in the dark. Usually you take a couple of lessons more to really get the hang of it though. Oh yeah this is of course all done in a manual car. If you learn in an automatic you are only allowed to drive automatics.
- The final driving test takes about 45 minutes and is absolute hell. If you make more than one mistake you are pretty much done for the day. That includes stuff like not checking your mirrors or surroundings correctly every time you are supposed to. Most people i know failed this at least once. Taking the test costs about 100€ each time.

All of this will cost between 1000-2000€ depending on how many additional driving lessons you need and if you fail any of the tests.

In italy it's pretty much the same beside the mandatory coursework and drive lessons. If you want, you could do everything on your own, ace the written and practical test and you are golden.

My worse driving experience even as a bad italian driver was in cab in instanbul where the cabbie ran like he was trying to outrun Loeb or something in a rally race, we were pretty much hugging the roof handles while bouncing at every stop or curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SEKCobra posted:

I agree that there are some simplification reasons that can sustain this argument. But considering the computer is apparently powered by the 12V full time, none of them really make sense.

Anyway, they could just have a 12V tap at the front.
And maybe a bypass key on the underside, but that part is less important to me.

USB-C with power delivery could provide 12-19v inbound voltage with up to 100w power, nothing but penny pinching stops the car makers from adding a hidden service charge port to trickle charge the low voltage battery

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Isn't the fuel tank pipe width bigger on diesel than gasoline in the US? Here in the EU it is and that is enough to discourage local idiots

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Oh I'm not saying it's impossible, it's usually the other way in my experience (gasoline in diesels) which tends to pretty much nuke the engine on modern cars.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
From what I’ve read around, the parts bin components of a 4c are decently reliable while the custom cf parts tend to rot/break easily. Even if they didn’t sold that well, you don’t see them anymore in the streets of :italy:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jonny Nox posted:

Did USSR ever develop nuclear artillery?

Russia currently active 203mm artillery (which was originally built in Ukraine) claim to have a nuclear round in media but i've never saw solid info about it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wild EEPROM posted:

The bmw ix is the ugliest car made in the last 20 years

My man, the mk1 fiat multipla stopped being produced in 2003.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Safety Dance posted:

Wraps back around to good.

Only if it does around a pole or any other road obstacle.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I didn't watch the whole thing (just skimmed to the good bits) so I'm sure I was missing context about what exactly he hopes to accomplish by a whole teardown at this point. Once you see there's that amount of damage you'd just be telling your customer "ok so a new crate V10 lists for X amount in the catalog"

There can't be a single component in that engine worth salvaging for any amount of money exceeding the time put into tearing it down. Unless the youtube views are that valuable.

The youtube channel is advertisement for his shop, he usually states clearly when he finds useful parts, otherwise it's all in the scrap bin.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fun fact, it was Ferraris in Italy (Osimo, within the Ancona province) but the drivers were not locals (Netherlands and Belgium), just retirees (50 and 54 years old).

https://www.auto.it/news/attualita/2023/03/06-6165930/il_folle_incidente_di_due_ferrari_supercar_distrutte_contro_una_villa

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

holy poo poo and that space is still wide open now we can get in on the ground floor

Given how expensive 22kw type 2 cables are, audiophile prices are already here

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arrath posted:

Today's failure: my fuckin tire.

In late February I got a flat and dropped the rim off at the shop my equipment manager told me to, it took them a week to get a "new" tire in. Today I was merrily driving along when something went bang thump and TPMS poo poo a brick. My spare is getting lots of miles lately.

New tire, indeed.

What's the year code on that tire?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

coldpudding posted:

challenge accepted.

Good luck trying to squeeze into the drivers seat it's only 12 inches across.

If you want a bigger one, ask KMW for a leopard trainer

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fifty Three posted:

What in the world? Kit car evaporated?

Got cut in half by drifting in a pole by the look of it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

namlosh posted:

Thanks for this… I’m sick of getting electrical stuff from Amazon that sucks. I’m learning to Save the headache as much as you can for this crap.

Don’t want to give my kidney though

Who said the kidney must be yours, you just need to source one.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Everybody in AI is a computer toucher who drives a Toyota camry

I am a computer toucher but I don't drive a Camry they don't sell it here

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lol at thinking professional computer touchers like computers.

People that like computers are either too naive or don’t know enough about them to actively hate them and whoever thought making sand able to count was a good idea.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 10, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Powershift posted:

Claimed there was roadworks going on, transmission caught a piece of asphalt sticking up.

In modern Russia asphalt takes the bus(out).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ruflux posted:

That's absolutely not standard in Europe. I've never dealt with a trailer with brakes* since those are only required on trailers from 750kg and up and they also require a special license to operate. Incidentally the most common trailer type is a light trailer that you can tow with a regular license rated for 750kg and obviously no brakes, or a safety line.

*technically false but we're literally talking "helped load one during a few summer jobs as a lawnmower" and honestly I wouldn't have even known if it wasn't for the obvious handbrake that wasn't used or the safety chain that mostly wasn't used

e: Oh yeah it's 825kg or something in actuality, but it's a moot point since trailers are typically rated 750kg since the overall combination can't go over 3500kg in capacity which rules out many cars and you'd need the extra trailer license.

750kg or half your empty net weight before requiring brakes in Italy.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

is there anyone in this subforum who hasnt spun a car?

I ran over curbs plenty but never spun(it's the magic of always driving 4x4 shitboxes).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

We had to do a manual hill park and start test in forward and reverse, (roll back even a smidge and you fail).

In a country where the only inclined roads are in parking structures.

Well it's still a nice skill to know. I live in a hilly town and I can guess if people are locals or not by how badly they melt their clutch during hill starts.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don't think any european B-license requires a mandatory course. It's strongly advised to take one but you could brain dump the book if you had a decent memory.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Italy has now six hours of driving, done along with a certified driving instructor, two hours of night driving, two hours of highway driving, two hours of country driving(or high volume urban). At least it's better than the old regime of zero hours along with a professional required. The task sequence is theory exam, minimum driving hours, practical exam. They are planning to introduce coursework instead of driving exams for A-class since it's a huge time sink for DMV staff(and driving schools are more than happy to get extra paying customers) but nothing on the table for B-class.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Large Testicles posted:

anyone have any idea what it's like to get the equivalent of a commercial driver's license in Europe or Australia? The US is just a written test, a practical and a physical exam but I'd imagine over 98% of drivers go to school for it.

B-class license, then theory exam followed by a practice exam. Nothing more for Italy.

knox_harrington posted:

Any improvement in Italian driving yet?

Still feeling that the immense drop in driving skills caused by the lockdown hasn't changed. It's drastically worse than before.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 27, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Saukkis posted:

There is an easy solution for this problem. Inspection places must be separate from repair shops, they will just make you bring it back for re-inspection.

That is how works in Italy and let me tell you, it's incredibly hard to make it fail, almost making it mandatory to pass to not lose customers. I think I had my first inspection on the swift with busted o2 sensors, running almost 100% petrol in the chamber, and still passed(after the inspection shop made the car run for half an hour idle to be hot enough to fit in the correct values).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Groda posted:

Is the nozzle size standard universal? Or is there e.g. an EU standard, a DOT standard etc?

https://standards.globalspec.com/std/14468615/EN%2013012

This is for eurozone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Catalytic thieves cannot steal my unit if it's melting or running as a pulsejet :science:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MrOnBicycle posted:

The cybertruck look like something someone built in their shed (constantly changing their minds about the design) over the last 15 years, infuriating their wife and spending way too much money on it leading to the inevitable divorce.

So it's boer Binky then?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My Avenger has a up/down joystick on the left to pick the speed and a button to cycle thru the cruise control mode (standard/adaptive/level2 assisted)

Cycling thru the cruise control modes is a mess since it usually registers multiple button presses as one, engaging pretty whatever it feels like at the moment.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kastein posted:

My 1988 Jeep has an open recall for the dealer to put that "hey buddy, put your foot on the brake before shifting, thanks" sticker on the instrument cluster. There is no actual interlock on it.

My 2023 Avenger BEV has an open recall for missing omologation stickers on the drivetrain battery, so the tradition still holds strong.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

St_Ides posted:

I recently found out that the Jeep Renegade disables its starter when it's below -30C and no block heater has been plugged in.

This is not documented in any Jeep manual, but it is in the Fiat 500x manual (same platform).

There is no way around this, other than to plug it in and/or wait for the temperature to come up.

I feel like this is dangerous. If you for some reason didn't plug it in (or had a power outage, or were somewhere without power and the temperature dropped) and needed a vehicle for heat, or had an emergency and needed to get somewhere immediately, you'd be SOL.

I've checked the Italian manual from a MY21 driven by one of my colleagues, there are multiple reference to preheater in the manual for diesel units. Maybe they forgot to write it down for the EN-US translation?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

The question is the funding.

If all a shop does is vehicle safety inspections, it's not going to be profitable and no one is going to do it.

There is more money in safety/emissions than in fixing cars for a sizable part of the European continent. A badly working car is unpleasant, a car that fails the inspection can be impounded or destroyed depending on the country, so people will search for a shop whose standards can be negotiated for an acceptable amount.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

tater_salad posted:

Emissions inspections I"m torn on, my state exempts cars 25 years old or older, but at 15 or so years old many cars value is eclipsed by a dead catalyst, or an exhaust manifold leak, or diagnosing a dead sensor or two. I've see many a car end up in the scrapyard because the emissions system repairs were the full value or 1/3 of the value of the vehicle. At that point it's hard to weigh the environmental impact of a dirty vehicle vs manufacturing of a new vehicle and crushing the old one.

We do have full exemptions for historical vehicles and i usually have to use my windshield washers if i stay behind one going uphill due to the soot coming from the exhaust. I would love to remove public road usage right for those cars since people daily environmental disasters to not get emissions checks and heavily discounted insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

I hate that it became legal to drive with headlights/DRLs and rear lights off here in Europe. Lights are not just for visibility, they're also to let the surrounding know that the vehicle is active.

That's news to me, you are supposed to have DRL/position on during day. Rear position off for energy saving is bullshit and i would love to turn whoever decided to make it binding into mist.