Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

DefaultPeanut posted:

No torque plate was used while finishing the cylinder, so the cylinder was not put under proper stresses, and cause minute undulations in the cylinder wall.
This is my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.

When that happens, the undulations are usually more gradual in appearence and in a pattern that tends to correspond to the head bolts - my money's on insufficent cylinder clearance and/or overheating.

Like the previous poster said, the piston just grows until it breaks through the oil film and galls against the cylinder wall.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

Is the H2 really just a Suburban with a different body or is that a myth?

Having spent some serious time underneath the drat things, I can tell you that H2's are basically Suburbans, but most suspension parts(except maybe the ball joints :D) are beefed up to some degree - the control arms both front and rear are different, the diffs are 9.5 rear/9.25 front, the Panhard bar is much heavier, etcetera.

IMO, they're still too winpy to seriously 'wheel, they're just so loving heavy compared to poo poo like Scouts, Cherokees, old Broncos/Blazers and so forth.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

BigKOfJustice posted:

As for the cast steering knuckles being an issue....

I generally agree with you, but I wonder if your cast knuckles are made of the same poo poo that the H2's cast knuckles are composed of. Since H1's have a military pedegree, I'd imagine the materials would be held to higher standards.

Cast steel and ductile cast iron(like what the H2 is made of) look similar, but the cast steel unit will be much more impact resistant than the iron piece.

<edit> According to this SAE .pdf, the type of material used in the H2's lower arm was first used in the IRS of the Mustang Cobra in 1999, so I'm guessing the H1 uses cast steel.

http://www.intermet.com/resource/images_resource/2000-01-1290.pdf

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 21, 2009

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

scapulataf posted:

I'm no engineer, or metallurgist, but I would think that the use of cast iron in any type of automotive application besides and engine block or head let alone a high stress suspension part, especially on a "heavy duty" type vehicle is truly, automotive insanity.

Cast iron comes in many types, from the ancient sort of grey iron found in old coal-burning stoves(the poo poo you can break chunks off with a light tap from a claw hammer), to high-nodular iron that works pretty well in crankshafts, all the way to heat-treated tempered ductile iron, which is fairly strong.

But yeah, none of is nearly as impact resistant as a good cast steel.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

PurpleFender posted:

These puns really grind my gears.

I thought people had some pretty good splines, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

MrChips posted:

OK, I think we've all had enough fun crashing around these doglegs in this discussion.

Yeah, I'm bushed.