Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
BMW either has the strongest wheels ever made or the weakest suspension. I'd expect a lot more wheel damage for the suspension to fall the gently caress off, speaking from experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

deviant. posted:

that doesn't bother me, at least not as much as the time i heard "smells like teen spirit" on the local adult contemporary station :smithicide:

I'd be more worried about listening to the adult contemporary station.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

trouser chili posted:

My old man still has a piece of clutch in his leg put there in the late 60's after unceremoniously dumping the clutch on his 67 Olds 442. That poo poo is scary.

I've still got a scar from a torque converter coming apart in a buddies car. The worst was the part about it being an '80 Malibu Classic. It doesn't matter how nice it was or how much money he spent on the engine, it was a Malibu Classic. He jumped on it leaving a light and when it hit second it blew the torque converter apart, took out the tunnel and hot fluid and metal showered the interior. It took a few weeks to fix that car and i was always a bit concerned when i rode in it after that.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Weren't those Malibus G-bodies? G-bodies are awesome.

Yeah, they were actually cool for the year but most people thought of their grandparents when they heard Malibu Classic. It was a badass mini tubbed straight line car but it would have been much cooler if my hosed up leg came from my own '66 Malibu or a random F-body.

Fifteen plus years later and i still have the scar.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
It may have been the flywheel taking the torque converter with it but there were parts everywhere and the shop it was towed to said the converter caused the damage. We were lucky the car had only been running a couple minutes so the fluid wasn't up to temp. It was twenty years ago and a lot of stuff has improved on the performance and safety side but high horsepower cars still make me a bit nervous.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Baby Hitler posted:

Scatter shields and/or bellhousing blankets are practically required when exceeding the OE RPM in large engines.

When the car was put back together it got a blanket. So many people don't think about the tranny being right next to you in a rwd car but poo poo happens so be safe. Luckily all i got were a few scars but it could have gone a lot worse if the fluid would have been up to temp.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I've seen an auto tranny in a Nova blow and the blanket kept everything out of the cabin. I imagine the same thing would have happened when i was injured if there would have been any type of safety involved.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

RexSS345 posted:

Jesus gently caress.

That is exactly what i said when i saw it. I can't imagine the bang that made when it went.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

You want to keep a TV for more than 7 years?

That's actually part of what is wrong with people today. I have a couple very nice led televisions but i also have old school tube televisions from 10+ years ago that work very well for what i need them for. Maybe i'm getting to the old people stage but appliances and electronics used to last back in the day. They were made in the U.S., with foreign parts lots of times, but the majority of my small kitchen appliances are at least ten years old. It would blow your mind to find out i have a twenty year old coffee maker while i have friends that replace theirs at least every two years if not sooner due to them not working anymore.

This is severely offset by the automotive world though. Nowadays i don't even consider a used car unless it has less than twenty thousand or over eighty thousand.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I have a black and white television at my moms that still worked great when i was there at Christmas and decided to mess with it. My oldest televisions are Zenith stereo monitors and they are 15+ years old and still work great.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Everyone else follows Reddit so I don't have to.

Same here, i don't have time for that poo poo.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I never ran into the issue in California but as soon as I came up to Seattle I've been seeing a large number of sensor failures due to corossion from the metal caps and moisture so there is definitely something to it. Mine twisted off just like that picture, too. Use plastic caps and the new TPMS sensor hardware kits even come with plastic caps to replace.

Chrysler is the worst, they actually come new with metal caps. The caps practically weld themselves on until they corrode through or someone breaks it trying to unscrew it. I keep so many Chrysler TPMS sensors on hand just because of that. The early Fords did that also but since they use the band sensors now it is so much nicer. Band sensors should be the only sensor used.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Beast Pussy posted:

You might be amazed at how much business those tpms dash lights can bring into a shop.

Mostly loving old people that i'm amazed are still alive due to how annoying and stupid they are. Old people using new fangled technology is the reason i will someday snap and end up in prison.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Ola posted:

Those TPMS systems are a ripoff! The light went on in my car and the shop wanted $1500 to fix it!!

I guess i should start taking advantage of my customers also. If it's dumb TPMS with just a light i check the pressure in all the tires to find the low one, inspect it for damage, patch/plug the hole, and send the customer out ten dollars poorer. I think i'm doing it wrong.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Jesus Christ, do you not have a shift button?

Beast Pussy posted:

i had to put half a pound of weights on a wheel today to zero it out even after remounting the tire and spinning it up several times to make sure the machine wasn't hosed up. rim was fine too, dunno what was up with that.

Did you turn the tire 180 to make sure you didn't accidentally mount the tire on the wheels high spot? If it was me i would turn the tire to try to drop the weight. If that didn't work and it was my tire i would put a different tire on it and let the manufacturer eat the cost of a defective tire. I regularly put on retreads that balance out at less than 4oz's so there is no reason to let a car roll out the door with that much weight.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I prefer the mar-hyde tal-strip gel aircraft remover. It's awesome to strip wheels fast and cheap, oxidized clear is no match for that stuff. I usually brush it on in the shade, let it sit for 15-20 minutes while using a plastic scraper to lift anything stubborn looking, and then powerwash it off. The best part is the radioactive green color that tells you that you should be wearing gloves but as long as you don't let it sit on your skin for very long it doesn't burn in my experience.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Crustashio posted:

He has also managed to get in five accidents in one day with a uhaul cube van.

Those moving company trucks always scare the poo poo out of me when i see them on the road. The person driving it might not have ever driven anything larger than a Focus but somehow they're piloting this giant truck without a care in the world.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I still do a lot of tire work but i'm old and cautious now. I'm lucky to be all in one piece. When i was young and dumb I always took that don't inflate past 40psi to seat the bead warning as a suggestion. To think of the times i had over 100psi to get a stubborn low profile tire to seat. I always put the air ram down in the center of the wheel to help the clamps but i wouldn't think of doing that nowadays. I keep breaking them down and lubing the wheel and bead, i will max the machine though which is 50-55lbs to get them to seat.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

TotalLossBrain posted:

It is unfortunately fairly "common-place" for radiography sources to do this kind of damage. They are usually Cobalt-60 and put out ungodly amounts of gamma radiation. Normally housed in a shielded carrier that gets opened via a cable just for the exposure. Sometimes it gets left open, sometimes it falls out, gets picked up by others, etc.

I used to do non destructive testing, one of the places we went regularly was Weyerhauser Paper to check their boiler. If you want to clear an elevator of hardass union boilermakers just walk in carrying an xray source. Those radioactive stickers scare the hell out of people for some reason. I always got a wide berth when i was transporting that thing around a work site.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
A video from work today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfFOM0W7v0

It was as awesome as it looks. I drove it after we put it down and it actually handled fine but i wouldn't want to hit any big bumps with it.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

NitroSpazzz posted:

From a QX56

Wait until you see one that goes box end first. I have an awesome sk 10mm stubby wrench i got that way.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
My extra job is car wash maintenance for the largest self serve car wash company in the country. It's been loving cold so this winter has been brutal on hoses and fittings. I've had poo poo freeze and break that never never breaks. Here's an ice mountain and the leaking manifold box that i can't turn off until i actually fix it. If i turn off the weeps then the line will freeze all the way back to the building causing even more problems.

I carry one of those deadblow hammers like you see on a crab boat on Deadliest Catch for this very reason. It's fixed now but this is a common occurrence.

Floors are heated or this would be even worse.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always wondered if the car wash themselves maintained it or if they outsourced to anyone/the chain. I guess now I know.

If you have any funny stories you should make a thread or something, though I bet the auto washes have more horrible customers than the self-serve.

We have auto washes also, people can not loving drive.

You put your money in the bunker and drive straight in. We have rails because evidently people can't drive straight forward. Yes, people drive over the rails weekly because they can't loving drive straight.

Maybe you'd like to drive into a garage door as it opens.

We use big fuckoff garage door openers so basically it will eat itself trying to go up. Sheetmetal screws and a prybar sort of fix it.

That was a brand new door from an old person mistaking the gas for the brake and running through the old one. Old people are the number one reason for car wash doors going missing.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In places with weather this happens frequently. My carwash not only has roll up doors but they're manual ones in the winter.

Do you guys have dryers in your auto carwashes or do you just let the water boil off the surface of the car as soon as you step out of a building and directly into the core temperature of Hell?

Some of them have dryers, Norwalk for example has an air curtain on the back of the building. The automatic car washes all have auto doors. The doors keep the bay warmer in the winter, which keeps the ice down, and in the summer it keeps the spray inside instead of blowing water all over the parking lot. The self serves have roll up doors that we lock down in the winter to keep the wind out and the ice down.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

genuinebald posted:

Yeah, I saw people ramming a screwdriver through the filter, but you are supposed to throw it away afterwards... not reinstall it.

We had a filter so tight from Valvoline that we had to hammer a screwdriver into a jack handle and ram it through the filter. Even then it was a pain in the dick to get off. Never did get the screwdriver out of the jack handle either, it's now a zombie/customer defense weapon.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

We have the industrial model of that, it managed to squash the filter and rip it open but not take it off. It will usually remove any filter if you have enough space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Adelman's truck parts and sales gets ups trucks a couple times a year. They're usually painted gray but you can definitely buy them whole because I see them around town every so often.