Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

hippynerd posted:

Jet fighters are more of a missle with big wings than an airplane, its not so impressive that it flys with only 1 wing. Try that in a cessna, and see how well that works out.

Man, I've lost several days trying to fly that loving Dodo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

That last one is a ship full of fireworks.

It's so tragically festive! :zoid:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

I think the solution is "tow to shallow water, slide ramp underneath, slowly winch out at an angle with water pouring out". Maybe add a "punch hole in lower end" to speed it up. If you're only ever lifting a few inches of water at a time, I'm sure you could do it with a Jeep or something.

The correct answer is ping pong balls. Lots of ping pong balls.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Kill-9 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbddKFgMVew

Awesome up until he tries to convince me that this lift kit is great. That lift would get torn up if it ever left the mall parking lot. Lots of very important bit hanging down way too low. I'm more of a coil guy but given the choice I'd take the old leaf spring set up over that fancy '$20,000' abomination.

I was kinda feeling the same way but also felt maybe I didn't know enough to really talk about it. I like my leaf springs though. Truck doesn't ride smooth but that's just part of the charm. There isn't much dangly bits to get hung up on and/or tear up. I've been stuck on my front diff before though. Not much to do about that except bigger tires or spend a fuckton of money on portal boxes.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sockington posted:

Mallcruiser thread ahoy.

I don't understand how that poo poo is legal. In Missouri (home of Bigfoot y'all!) bumper height cannot exceed 22 inches or some poo poo. The bumpers on that fucker are at my head. The upper one.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

I see dozens of these goddamn things all over Phoenix and they piss the hell out of me. Maybe 30% of them have more actual ground clearance than an unloaded Ranger, and I've never seen one that got its clearance by a method other than SUPER SWAMPERS or whatever. You need a ladder to climb into the cab, but you could hit a basketball with the differentials. What the gently caress.

Well, the only way to get the diffs up is more tire and/or portal boxes/portal axles.

The bigger problem is retarded drop crossmembers and ridiculous lifting blocks and scary steering, z-bars and other dumb poo poo whipped up in some retard's garage who think's he's a fabricator because he's got 220v in the shop and a Lincoln welder.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 10, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

I like to believe that the pickup truck has a permanently-mounted frame in the bed specifically for carrying those around.

And yeah, it would be so much cooler if it were on bearings. I wonder how fast it would spin in a 60mph wind?

I cannot believe that they're allowed to have an open spinning shaft like that. I know it's got a railing in front of it, but if you get your hand caught anywhere near that green support you don't have a hand any more :gonk:

Imagine getting caught on it and flopping around and around and around and around and around. There's so much torque it wouldn't slow in the slightest. You'd just flail and flop and splat until completely shredded.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Doctor Zero posted:

What the gently caress happened here?

Clockwork Sputnik's girlfriend.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Dave Inc. posted:

If you've never been to an industrial factory you should give it a shot. It's like they're made for killing careless people.

I've never been more in awe of sheer danger than the time I toured a smelter.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sponge! posted:

I worked in an iron foundry for 3 months...

I lost almost 30lbs (I was 5'11 175 going in, and 5'11 148 coming out.) Man was it hot as hell in there, even in March-May. I got to wear a cool powered forced air breathing apparatus though.

This was a nickel smelter in Thompson, Manitoba. The heat was nearly unbearable anywhere in the plant. At one point we got to watch them pour a crucible and from like 100 yards away I thought my face was going to melt off. It was so dark in the plant too, until they poured that fucker. It was like someone was pouring the out the surface of the sun. But it was a strange light source because while the molten metal itself is excruciatingly bright, it didn't really illuminate anything else in the plant. If you weren't looking at it, everything was just as dark and impossible to see as before.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ExtremeODD posted:

Good lord, my volvo builds up something that looks exactly like that on the oil cap. Yet the oil comes out the standard black (grayish from excess gas, short trips) That looks nasty as hell.

That's probably just from condensation. No biggie, do you drive a lot of short trips?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ratbert90 posted:

Why is that so hard to comprehend to some people? I don't like balance shafts, Honda hasn't used them, no harmonic balancer, 7200rpm redline, and not really overbuilt at all.

Honda never uses balance shafts? Bullshit. Every F and H motor out there has a pair of them. Although they don't seem that nessesary. I didn't bother with the balance shaft belt on the last timing belt job I did on my 1997 Accord sedan, just left it off. It's a little rougher than my 1997 Accord wagon, but not much. They're only for NVH anyway, they have nothing to do with protecting the rotating assembly.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 1, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

whiskas posted:

The F20C and F22C (S2000 motors) don't have balance shafts.

They aren't really like any of the other F motors though. I mean, they're generally not even considered an F-motor. Like the B20A isn't really a B-motor.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

Checked out that Wikipedia page. This photo is a joke, right?

Under the hood is another hood. This one is harder to open.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

rscott posted:

how big would an apex seal be on a wankel engine making 4000 HP?

Depends on how smashed up it gets as it's being thrown out the exhaust.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

TheShedDweller posted:

Arent these Miller cycle 2 strokes with exhaust valves?

No

Sponge! posted:

Yes, they just scavenge with the forced induction. Double the power strokes is double the power.

What? No. Miller cycle engines are four-stroke. A Miller cycle uses a two-part compression stroke. The initial quarter of the stroke the intake valve is left open, allowing the supercharger (Miller cycle engines require positive displacement superchargers) to compress the intake charge. The the intake valve then closes after about a quarter of the compression stroke has completed, allowing for traditional mechanical piston compression to happen.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

TheShedDweller posted:

I guess what I meant to say is, like a Miller cycle engine it uses constant pressure forced induction. Only on a 2 stroke diesel rather than a Otto cycle. But unlike most 2 stroke motors, they have exhaust valves at the top of the combustion chamber instead of ports to help increase compression. A guy I knew who worked as a diesel mechanic explained it to me like this...

At the bottom of the compression stroke the forced induction system pushes air through the cylinder with the exhaust valves open, forcing out any leftover exhaust from the previous cycle. The compression stroke takes place. The exhaust valves close as the upward moving piston reaches the intake port. The piston compresses the intake charge. At or around TDC the injector sprays fuel into the combustion chamber, Bang! As the downward moving piston passes the intake port on the combustion stroke the exhaust valves open. Then the pressure from the turbo/supercharger pushes the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder.

At least that is how it was explained to me, let me know if I got any of that wrong.

What you are describing is a two stroke cycle, the Miller is a modified Otto cycle. It has the typical four strokes; suck, squish, bang, blow. The squish part is modified in that the intake valve stays open during the first quarter of the stroke, allowing the supercharger to compress the charge. This is sometimes called the fifth stroke.

The two-stroke diesel engine also requires a supercharger, most famously in the 6-71 Screamin' Jimmy. They are two stroke as you describe, a bang/suck/blow stroke, and a compression stroke.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Valt posted:

I'm still confused at how this is in any way some kind of mechanical failure.

I'm pretty sure Toyota Corollas are supposed to bear the weight of a loaded 53 foot trailer on the front end.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My Scout works like this. If I fix something, it figures I'm willing to give it attention, so it proceeds to tell me about everything that needs fixing by immediately breaking them. If alternately beat on it mercilessly and then neglect it, it's fine.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ooopsie.

This is the passenger front spindle on the scout. I drove it 30 miles after the bearing started moaning. Note the bearing race (which is normally a unit with the caged rollers) appears to be welded to the spindle itself. I may end up trashing this spindle.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

I ate Jesus posted:

Ha, been there and done that a few times, but on Dana 44s. I was able to save the spindle each time, it just took some TLC with fine emery cloth :). It was a bitch and a half to get off, though -- I ended up using a claw puller.

That is a Dana 44. Maybe it looks different because the spindle is IH.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

I ate Jesus posted:

I guess that would explain why it looks so familiar, it does look a little different in IH form. Did you ever get it off? I had constant bearing problems running bigger (36-38") tires on the D44. Just early failure and sticking to the spindle, but I basically just resigned myself to pulling and repacking the bearings after every weekend in the woods. I was just glad I wasn't snapping axle shafts :).

Yeah, the Scouts are notorious for eating wheel bearings if you wheel them a lot. Submerge a wheel and there is a good chance the bearings will go soon. The spindle seal basically just sucks, and if there is any runout in your bearing, the seal just gets chewed away. Of course, wheeling them causes the bearings to get loose, causing runout. So you wheel it, trash the spindle seal, then submerge a wheel and get mud in your bearings and poof, they're gone. It's apparently a pretty common problem with most solid axles, not just Scouts.

I got my spindle off and picked up a few spares, as well as a new (used) hub body. Just gotta put all the poo poo together, I've been lazy and busy, and then lazy again. When it goes together I'm going to put anti-seize all over the spindle where it mates with the knuckle, and then again a light coat where the bearing races mate with the spindle. Might help, I dunno.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
gently caress it, knock down the exterior walls facing the road, then hollow out the interior. Instant covered bridge.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MomJeans420 posted:

My brother's IH Scout had been leaking more fluids than usual recently, it turns out the box frame broke:

Yeah, that happens. It starts when the spring perch starts pulling off, as it does so it rips the frame, weakening it until it fails completely. Looks like he's been driving it like that for a while. Not sure where you are located, but I'd look for something like this: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1749810109.html The bodies actually come off pretty drat easy. Bulkhead connectors, shifters, steering column, brake lines, fuel line, radiator hoses and six body mounts. That's pretty much it if you can lift it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, that link is dead - what was it?

Well poo poo. It was a Scout II rolling frame with a 345v8 and full running gear, plus a spare fuel tank and radiator. Guy wanted $500, but I bet it went for less.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My old man still has a piece of clutch in his leg put there in the late 60's after unceremoniously dumping the clutch on his 67 Olds 442. That poo poo is scary.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Toucan Sam posted:

I've still got a scar from a torque converter coming apart in a buddies car. The worst was the part about it being an '80 Malibu Classic. It doesn't matter how nice it was or how much money he spent on the engine, it was a Malibu Classic. He jumped on it leaving a light and when it hit second it blew the torque converter apart, took out the tunnel and hot fluid and metal showered the interior. It took a few weeks to fix that car and i was always a bit concerned when i rode in it after that.

drat, I've NEVER heard of a torque converter exploding.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

InitialDave posted:

Worryingly, the conclusion of the investigation was something along the lines of "Worker pulled into woodchipper. Not entirely sure how, exactly. poo poo happens." - They hadn't actually nailed down the full mechanics of where he was standing, what knocked/dragged him in and so on.

So someone could have sneaked up and fed him into it, and there isn't any evidence. :ninja:

Yeah, it's kinda like "Well, we're pretty drat sure he went in here, and came out all over in there"

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

LobsterboyX posted:

anyone remember iibbmm :v:?

I remember trolling the poo poo out of him in Battlefield 1942.

Speaking of old posters, remember smb123? He was a real hit on the forums. Also, poles.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Poing posted:

You may not have liked the guy, but that's kinda harsh.

I'm sorry, where you not paying attention when the forums created this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYujWCCHRk

Also, SMB123 and I got along just fine.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Snapped this one today at the local Home Depot parking lot:

Hella flush.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Skyssx posted:

Mythbusters proved it was not possible to start a fire from friction between rubber and the road.

Mythbusters proved they were not able to start fire from friction between rubber and the road. That doesn't mean it's not possible. Just means they couldn't do it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CommieGIR posted:

Looks actually like a V-12, you can faintly see the other exhaust manifold on the other side.

Everything I've read was the engine was a DT466. That would be a Navistar inline 6.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

You want to keep a TV for more than 7 years?

They cost of lot of money, yes. I don't even own a television that's less than 7 years old.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 31, 2011

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

McDeth posted:

Did those cylinder rocks come standard?

Fram air filter.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

jamal posted:

it's probably fine but if you really want to know do a leakdown and compression check.

this really only happens to DI cars. The pcv system burns oily blow-by mist and on a non-di engine the fuel is injected right before the intake valves which keeps them pretty clean. This doesn't happen on a di motor so all the crap starts to accumulate in the intake system. A water/meth kit or a catch can would keep things cleaner.

Just like EGR and diesels.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Whatever happened, it was more than just a curb/hump/highside problem. That front suspension collapsed. If it where a normal highside, both front and rear suspension would be fully extended or nearly so.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Boat posted:

The water heater rocket worked pretty goddamn good though, and morons replace that overpressure valve all the time, because they're morons. Then all it takes is a broken thermostat..

Wait, you're not supposed to replace that valve? Cause I test mine twice a year and replace it every couple, because it starts leaking.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

nurrwick posted:

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

Are metal valve caps causing problems with these? I keep getting corrosion/failure of the threads on the valve on my Mazda5. The dealer just keeps replacing them under warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

JD Brickmeister posted:

He was using a Dremel.

To masturbate?