Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ok I'm stumped. What the hell am I looking at? I'm guessing it's a clutch pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

teh jhey posted:

Are there ever warning signs or noises when the timing belt is about to go? Or does it come down to watching the odometer and having a look every now and then?

Pretty much the only warning sign you get that the timing belt is failing is the sound of your pistons smacking into the valves. So that would be "no".

If you are changing your timing belt at the right interval, you should be able to lay it down next to the new one and not tell them apart.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
One time I drove a 66 Olds 442 with non-assisted drum brakes on all four corners. Once was enough. A car with that much go should not have so little stop.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Godholio posted:

I had an 89 Taurus (3.0) as my first car. Transmission never failed. Not sure how.

Yeah, I had a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 liter with a first gen A604 time bomb turning behind it. Got 150,000 miles out of it. I thought on several occasions it died, but it was always minor fixes. Got rid of the drat car after it stranded me 100 miles from home when the transmission fluid cooler lines ruptured suddenly. It was a pig to drive, but supremely useful vehicle.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sponge! posted:

Edit: The man is some sort of Diesel Cowboy. He grabs on tight and breaks that sonofabitch.

He did eventually get it to behave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_0poJpCD18

Note that in the first video posted when it goes runaway and the first three minutes of this one, it's running BACKWARDS. Looking at the flywheel, it's spinning counterclockwise, it should spin clockwise.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

insta posted:

Honest question, what can this engine do that my 105hp TDI cannot?

Apparently be left outside to rust and total neglect for several decades before being brought back angrily to life by a couple of guys with a blow torch, air compressor and something that perhaps resembles fuel.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

this happened to the clutch of my friends integra.
he wondered why teh hell he couldn't get it to start... then the smoke came.

I guess that stainless steel braided clutch line wasn't such a great idea after all.

I had one of those experiences in the pickup. Positive cable to the starter grounded out on the motor mount, the shortest path back to the battery was apparently through my power steering high line, which promptly exploded. It was cool in that "hay this is a novel way to get stranded" sort of way.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cakefool posted:

Nope, oil really does break down - look up Oil shear sometime - you can literally 'smash'/'chop' the long molecules into shorter useless poo poo.

I'm willing to be wrong, but I thought sheer was really only a problem with multi-viscosity oils. Basically, they get thinner (numerically lower) due to sheer. Straight-weight oils don't do this, and that is why as I understand it, that motorcycles with shared-sump gearboxes and International trucks with the SV-family engines (gear timing) recommend straight-weight oils.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Throatwarbler posted:

There might be a legitimate reason it is designed like that, maybe it is designed to bend in such a way in order to absorb more force in a rear end collision, or to alleviate some kind of vibration in the chassis.

Or it makes installing that bump stop a whole lot easier.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I think there is a huge disconnect between what is a serious crash and what people think is serious crash. I mean, when someone says "it was only 30-40mph", to me they're admitting they have no understanding of the massive forces involved. Most crash testing is done at that speed range.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

destructo posted:

:barf:

Dexcool :argh:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

grover posted:

What sort of noise did it make?

I'm sure all the normal ones that a Dodge Caravan makes. Proper operation is indistinguishable from failure.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Hillridge posted:

"Killllllllllll Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Yeah like I said. "Proper operation is indistinguishable from failure."

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kastein posted:

EDIT: is imageshack banned here or something?

In a word, yes. It's an involved story from long ago that I don't quite remember. Use imgur.com. It works well and it's fast.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Beach Bum posted:

Brake cleaner should be the only solvent laying around. :colbert:

Ppfffffff. Carb cleaner, acetone, toluene, and aircraft remover should all be stocked.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

RapeWhistle posted:

I'll make sure to shut the garage door while I'm in it during this process.

If you shut the garage door you won't have to worry about clean up, it'll be someone else's problem.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Raluek posted:

What gets me is that he was storing a tank without the heavy caps over the valves that keep this from happening. Every time I think about moving a tank I imagine how easy it would be to knock the valve into something or drop the tank onto the valve or something. Gives me the willies. Don't welding instructors always drill that into you? Always use the cap!

More valve failure fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VOwkvTh-Go

Happened a few miles from my house. I've bought acetylene there before.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Deer hold a lot of poop. Being ungulates I guess they have to store and digest a large volume of plant matter to survive. They basically eat the otherwise inedible.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Stormangel posted:

You know, all my life I've been around car parts. My dad was a certified master tech, used to rebuild carbs on the kitchen table. I sort of apprenticed under him in high school, worked in a few shops, and have done all my own vehicle maintenance for 18 years. Until now I didn't know how an A/C compressor worked internally. Just one of those things you take for granted. My mind is blown.

They're not all like that. There are lots of different designs but what they all share in common is that they're basically just air pumps. Something like the classical York-style compressor, common to many domestic vehicles for decades, is basically a little two-cylinder engine. It's got a cute little crankcase and everything.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CommieGIR posted:

I have an old York I can take apart.

Do it, they're interesting at the least. They can also be re-used as air compressors because the York is internally lubricated and does not rely upon a lubricant in solution with the refrigerant.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

When this happened, I heard a clunk and immediately shut off the engine and paid for a tow truck because I factored in statistics and economics rather than going "Welp, it's still running so I guess it can't be that bad, eh?"

AMC v8?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Slavvy posted:

At first I thought that was weed and I was gonna be like "nice, is that another magical junkyard score or what?" but then I realised the sordid truth :(

It might be weed. We should ship it to 13 inch dick and have him smoke it just to be sure.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So I work on cars and in IT. Except my IT specialty is network security and continuity. Firewalls, IPS, packet sniffers, Web gateways, Email gateways, DLP, VPN head-ends, load balancers, radius, DNS servers...these are the kinds of things I know well. When my PC at work breaks, I call someone. Inevitably people in my personal life have no understanding of my skills beyond "he's a computer guy" and ask me to diagnose their Windows 8 tablet infected with the latest greatest ransomware. I try to use medical analogies because I find they explain the gulf between what I do and what they're asking better. You wouldn't ask your buddy who's a podiatrist to take a look at your vag, for example.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think any engineers worked on the Cavalier. That was all bean counters, the real stars of GM.

If the Cavalier had debuted and lived for four to six years as it was it would have been remembered as a solidly ok response to the rise of the Japanese auto manufacturers. The Cavalier was actually so good that it forced Ford to respond with the Tempo (which it killed in the sales numbers), the Cavalier lived three decades with little more than superficial changes, and was thought to be good enough to be branded a Cadillac. Two out if those three were wild successes from a financial standpoint, and like I said, at the debut of the Cavalier it was a pretty good car compared to the marketplace. The problem is that the Japanese came out with a substantially changed/better car every four years like clockwork. The Cavalier answer in response was cheap lipstick, when there even was one. The result: Cavalier is remembered as a cheap crapcan compared to the excellent Japanese crapcans available at the time of it's death.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

spog posted:

How do you solve India's population crisis?

Built a cheap car for the masses that slaughters the occupants in a low speed accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWhuIDJJw0&t=16s

They ARE sentient, of course. We just have a lot of them.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate that mentality, like the instant something breaks in even the smallest possible way, it's completely worthless and needs to be replaced with a brand new item. I've seen people throw stuff in the trash that could have been fixed easily, sometimes the only thing wrong was a bit of cosmetic damage. They could at least have given it to a thrift store or something instead of trashing it!

Consumerism, man.

I love people that do that poo poo. loving right, throw away that lovely old car. Lemme buy it from you, cash right now. I'll give you $500 more than carmax. Then I super clean the fucker (loving clean cars sell!), fix whatever lame problem it has and resell for $2,500 more.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is how it starts. Four years later you're standing in your car's engine bay, wondering how it all went so wrong right.

This is a picture my wife took of me years back entitled "I've lost control of my life."

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

How are those heaters? I'm thinking of grabbing one. My little old ceramic heater is struggling to keep up with the frozen wasteland that is my garage.

drat thing pisses me off. You can't adjust the angle of the head on the thing at all, completely fixed. So instead of throwing heat down the underside of whatever I'm working on, it just uselessly heats the grill of the truck. So you'd think "I'll outsmart the dumb little heater and shim the base on it", but it has a switch underneath to detect if it's fallen over or whatever and as soon as the switch releases, the thing emits a terrible buzzing sound and cuts power to the heater. Anyway, some sheet-metal screws jambed into the tip-over switch fixed that and made it terribly unsafe I'm sure, but it works for me now. It can throw heat pretty well, enough to keep me comfortable even at the far end of the truck, as long as it's pointed at me that is. It's like a spot-beam of warm, get outside the spot and it's cold again.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I think they actually use an engineering thing called a Caisson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_(engineering)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Oh boy, rust chat! Yours truly in the spring of 1995, the last day I owned my first Scout.

Spent two hours getting her running so my dad could trade her on a new Grand Cherokee.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Despite what some whould have you believe galvanized cars still rust, it just takes a bit longer.

Oh yeah, once you've broken the zinc barrier it's in. It'll spread underneath. All Scout II were galvanized, believe it or not.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Swift GT engine:

Not every failure has to be spectacular.

Seen the exact same with our old a Geo Metro. Also I found the valves in the oilpan. Things went badwrong.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BoostCreep posted:

The last time I tried taking Craftsman tools back for replacement I got a remanufactured socket wrench that broke a week later and they wouldn't replace my screw drivers because they were "clearly used for things other than just turning screws".

That was 9 years ago and I haven't touched Craftsman since. Maybe they've changed their policies since then?

I've brought back tools to sears that I've literally shot to poo poo in a fit of anger and never received so much as a sideways glance. Their screwdrivers really loving piss me off. I've got one that's 30 years old or more that's a loving champ. New ones are lucky to last six months. When I brought a bucketful of them back riddled with 30-30 wounds I was hoping beyond hope they'd deny me, just so I'd have justification for going out and buying a set of Klein replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress, why the hell didn't I think to do that while changing the oil the other day, when that picture was taken. :doh:

It's been over a month since that happened, and I drive it 70 miles a day on average. I haven't noticed any problems yet or ominous noises, but it's only got a dummy light so who the gently caress knows what the actual pressure is.

Sounds like the pickup is throughly tested.