Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sockington posted:

He's more worried about how it'll do into a wall/barrier/car/so forth.

Not every club uses motorsportsreg but they offer supplemental track day insurance on a single or multiple day basis. You only pay for your vehicle's declared value... I think it was about $200/day for a vehicle declared at 20k value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

I still get mad about Boeing/Spirit calling out all their dimensions in inches sometimes. It's 2012 god damnit use the metric system :arghfist:

It's great to know that Boeing made its foreign partners on the 787 design everything in inches too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Then you definitely don't want to look at the trailer.

I honestly had no idea they were still around; you don't hear of them much where I'm at, and never seem to hit Texas.

Well it doesn't help that the quality of their music continues to decline. I gave up a while ago

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Astroman posted:

I used to love them in HS in college, but I checked out around their 3rd album. Now they look really, really old. And the keyboardist is unironically wearing a wizard hat with runes. :psyduck:

You should find a YouTube video of him playing.

It only gets worse.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How the gently caress do you earn that kind of money and have no sense about how to spend it properly?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Opensourcepirate posted:

On the unintended acceleration front - most of the cars that were 'experiencing' it were Toyotas. It's easy to just blame that on the fact that Toyota has marketed their cars specifically to the people that don't want to have know anything about cars to keep theirs on the road. I think it has a lot to do with the throttle response on their new cars though. My parents have an 08 (or something like that) Corolla, and every time I drive it for the first time in a while I start almost peeling out every time I accelerate. The first 20% of the pedal movement has to account for at least 50% of the actual power available.

My parents think the car feels 'sporty,' and it does kind of. Only pushing the pedal a little bit and having the car lunge forward is a sporty feeling. It goes away for me when I realize that the second half of the pedal travel barely adds any additional power. I'm assuming that Toyota designed it that way specifically so it would feel sporty. It honestly feels unsafe to me though; if you were accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brake, you would be effectively almost flooring the car instantly just based on the expected amount of resistance / pedal travel from the brakes.

I have a friend who is a Toyota mechanic and he has had people come in with 4 or 5 floor mats stacked on top of each other. ^_^

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

After having aftermarket studs (BMW) come loose I am loving obsessive about torquing my lugnuts and checking the studs to make sure they are still tight. Had I not noticed one stud was sticking out more than the others I would have been doing a full track day with it only on a few threads.

Did you locktite them when you installed them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Here's a video of the 747-8 RTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_v6tXsv6g

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

I love the fact that Airliner manufacturers are just assuming someone is going to fly a plane with 100% worn brakes, broken wheel fuses, and overloaded (sometimes all of the above) and making sure no one gets killed.

I wonder if they design engine mounts to sheer gracefully if someone has installed them with a forklift.

Its just common for this industry to design for the absolute worst case scenario.

Love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
To me, that looks like something that would have happened if the car slipped off the jackstand and punched through.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Weld in a new floorpan.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I guess that makes my Cylinda (known as ASKO outside Sweden) with a 5 year standard warranty a little more than twice as good as the Bosch then? :smug:

BMW small case differential behind an M30.

Wonder how long that took to annihilate that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

It seems like that would make it a pain in the rear end to put a wheel back on, unless you had at least one stud like someone mentioned. Is there any reason to do it that way, or just "german engineering"? I thought some tracks required studs over bolts, so it doesn't seem like there would be an advantage to bolts in terms of safety.

Studs that aren't pressed in are nice because you can swap them out if they get mangled up somehow and its easy to visually inspect them to ensure proper thread engagement. They also allow you to ensure you have enough thread engagement if you swap to wider wheels. If you do that with standard bolts you will need longer bolts.

revmoo posted:

After you've owned a BMW for a few years you tend to get pretty good at sticking wheels back on and lining them up. It is a pain in the rear end though.

My understanding is that wheel bolts are marginally stronger, but probably not enough to really matter. I prefer them for looks, but that's about it. Of course my current wheels have bolt covers so you can't even see them at all.

In the trunk toolkit there is a tool to align the wheel on the hub.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've never bothered either, but if you were dressed nicely and on the side of the road needing to swap a spare it would make it easier. It's not like you have to go buy it--it comes with the car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

crazycatlady75 posted:

Well now I can't unsee it either, gee thanks for telling me it's a super skinny penis. I thought it was a thick one

Oh good I'm not the only one who sees that in the amazon logo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's probably direct injection, so it's a question of pulling the engine or not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Godholio posted:

Is $14.xx for that wrench a particularly good price, or typical? I want to hold off a bit but if it's gonna shoot back up to list price I'll just get it now.

it's been lower:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/product/B00009OYGZ

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If only CAD programs had some sort of interference detection tools. oh wait.

How long ago was this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering student and this is literally the entire problem. I have met exactly two other people who have any practical experience with working on anything. I got looks of pure amazement when I was able to walk into the machine shop and use a drill press and a band saw. Part of me wants to give up on robotics and go into the automotive industry just so I can try and get to design a car around ease of maintenance just to see how the market would react.

Also, what kind of :spergin: motherfuckers were arguing about thousandths of a degree? I know precision is important in something that spins at thousands of RPM surrounded by exploding jet fuel, but I can't think of ANY instance where a few thousandths of a degree would make any actual difference.

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-Lu0nknfA

Not to dissuade a wide-eyed engineering student, but should you go into automotive engineering you will find that ease of maintenance is not a priority when it comes to corporations designing cars. Corporate life as an engineer is not nearly as exciting as you might hope.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That's why I said "part of me." A very small part. The part that thinks I could convince the suits that a car designed around ease of maintenance would sell better. The stupid part.

Plus there's no way I'd actually give up on robotics. Because robotics is the best field. :c00lbert:

Keep going with it! It sounds far more interesting than what I'm stuck doing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MikeyTsi posted:

The whole Seattle tunnel project has been fuckery of comedic proportions since it was proposed. NO ONE thought it was a good idea, everyone was proposing just updating the existing bridge. But NOOOO, we have to spend a poo poo-ton of money to dig a loving hole in the ground instead.

It took almost 10 years to decide how to replace the viaduct. there's no way this will be on budget or on time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Took this video the other day but I'm not sure if it really shows what I was seeing

Hoppin': http://youtu.be/9jEAQcK8W1A

This truck had an axle that was hopping up and down very hard... Any idea what is happening?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress everyone who insist on driving on studs all year round.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Slow is Fast posted:

Gear wrenches are great when the nut is already free spinning and needs to go on or off. If you need to break stuff loose or get a nut off through a pile of rust smegma threads, then you need to use a regular wrench to save the gearing in the gear wrench head.

Well, they do have lifetime warranties. when i finally broke one of them, sears or lowe's wanted me to return the entire set of wrenches so i got a whole new set for free.

I prefer the flex head version.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
These engine failure videos remind me of obso's video from long ago when he intentionally murdered a Nissan engine for AI.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well that is gonna throw a loop in the factory schedule. Crazy enough though, the factory that builds all of the 737s is up to a 40+ rate per month. Hardly a drop in the bucket of overall production for the year.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.flyingheritage.com/

is having a big show up in everett on labor day weekend

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kastein posted:

A friend's place of employment brought in expensive consultants and did the whole Six Sigma/Kaizen bullshit thing... busibody managers decided everyone's cube desks (not shared cubes) were subject to this as well. So everyone had to label where everything went on their own loving desk.

He got a little creative with it and put some fun labels on:
* coffee mug
* feet go here
* crumbs from breakfast
* crumbs from lunch
* pack of smokes
* car keys

IIRC they told him to knock it off after he wasted the managers time asking for smaller labeling tape so he could label which finger went on which key on the home row of his keyboard.

We got a new senior manager and it sounds like they're going to expect us to 5S our desks, in the same (stupid) way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

See: hockey sticks in the hands of a pro.

Carbon fiber seems like it stays super strong until it gets nicked or flexed repeatedly, the abuse makes a weak point and that's where it's going to fail.

Delam is the true enemy of carbon fiber, but the method of layup, ply orientation, intended use and curing process all factor into how and when carbon will fail.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's definitely the lower control arm

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

Chrysler k-cars are over 25 years old now, and mopar fans are the nuttiest about restoring poo poo, but you still don't see anybody doing anything with those. they'll die and dissapear and nobody will miss them.

Who was it in here that was "restoring" a convertible k-car of some sort? been a while though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's who it was!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I hear this from a lot of natives who are bitter about transplants but population was 515k in 1990 and 650k in 2013. So even if it were entirely people from out of state they've been here long enough to figure things out for themselves. And the flat out worst drivers i have ever met up here were born and raised in town.

You need to look at the population of the greater seattle area, not the city itself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The average shop loves to gouge people for brakes because most people aren't going to be confident (or competent) enough to DIY.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's even more of a waste once you consider that you can get 10x the seat time at a decent gokart place for half that price. gently caress standing around for half a day picking up cones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

Looking up wing flex tests on YouTube is interesting. Airliner wings are incredibly flexible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rak2HldVp9M

I don't think boeing posted a video of the full wing test for the 787 but it bent so far that it didn't even break while still surpassing the 150% max load margin.

quote:

During the test, the wings on the 787 were flexed upward “approximately 25 feet” which equates to 150 percent of the most extreme forces the airplane is ever expected to encounter during normal operation. The test is used to demonstrate a safety margin for the design and is part of the certification process to show the airplane can withstand extreme forces.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Audis have never been "affordable" in the US.

Christ, even the 1990 Audi 80 my dad bought in 1994 or so was 20 loving grand MSRP and it was just a base model 2.slow with a 3 speed automatic. Basically no different from the passat of that era.

It was even more expensive, not at all fun to drive and got piss poor mileage for a 108hp car.

For comparison's sake a 1991 bmw 318iS was about 20k too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

VW also likes to put big fuckoff headrests on all the seats, so I am still not quite used to trying to look out the back and have 50% of the view covered with those.

Don't forget that they designed the rear headrests on my jetta sportwagen to not be removable, making it a total bitch to fold the rear seats flat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Do they flip or what? I can remove them on my golf, but then again the rear seats will fold down even without removing the headrests. I constantly carry computer parts and monitors in mine, so the rear seats stay down most of the time.

Nope, you can modify them to remove a pin which prevents them from being removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

Your doing it wrong. The headrests for the back seat in my JSW are currently sitting in the shed since they drove me crazy. They are a bitch to remove, but you just need to put a really small flathead screwdriver in the tiny hole on the side that does not have the push button and pull. Took me a while to figure out and I had to resort to actually reading the manual to figure it out.

If you want them to fold flat you have to flip up the bottom of the seat and then fold the back down after you removed the head rests.

What year is yours? My 2013 does not have this issue......

I didn't know about that, but this is the pin I was referencing:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34784

you can remove the pin so that you don't need to use the screw driver to pull them out. I had it mixed up going from my memory.