Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kadler posted:

Related video off one of the engine failure vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNDFkK8zp0c&feature=related

That was NOT what I was expecting. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Psylocibe posted:

The GAU-8 Avenger gives me such a chub.

Edit: Photo does not belong in this thread as neither are anywhere close to a horrible mechanical failure.

That photo should be in EVERY thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DefaultPeanut posted:

If that was an accident, did the driver / passengers survive?

That's just what happens to GM vehicles after 3 or 4 years of normal use. ALL GM vehicles. :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hippynerd posted:

Jet fighters are more of a missle with big wings than an airplane, its not so impressive that it flys with only 1 wing. Try that in a cessna, and see how well that works out.

Take a fin off a missile and see how well that works out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hippynerd posted:

In that case, you adjust the controls to get it to hit its target. With a rocket (no guidance), they usually spin, but still generally go in the right direction.

If by "adjust the controls" you mean "reprogram the flight guidance system" then yeah. Rockets are designed to fly along a specific path...missiles are designed to steer and maneuver. That makes a big difference. It's all computer controlled, and the computer is programmed for the missile to fly a certain way. Remove a fin and that changes dramatically. And the computer isn't programmed to handle that kind of change.

Same thing with the F-15. Every modern fighter is inherently unstable. This improves maneuverability significantly. But it means the pilot's input doesn't directly affect the flight surfaces...the computer receives the input, decides how best to make it happen, and actually makes the adjustments. The computer was not designed to fly with one wing. McDonnell Douglas ran multiple simulations and were absolutely stunned the plane landed safely.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrChips posted:

The F-15 is not a fly-by-wire aircraft. It relies on aerodynamics for its stability, not computer corrections (like nearly every fighter made since the F-15).

The initial run were not FBW, but the C model and everything since is. The F-15I should fall into this latter category. The F-15 IS flyable without it apparently, but unless it's disabled, the computer is still running the show. I don't know if there are still any F-15As in the inventory. The ANG had a few a year or two ago, but I don't know if they're still around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrChips posted:

It's not a true FBW system though, in which the computer communicates with the control surface servos via electrical cables (as opposed to a conventional hydromechanical system of linkages, cables and pushrods communicating with the servos). The F-15C and later models have what's known as a Control Augmentation System (CAS); basically, the control cables/pushrods have servos attached or spliced into them to allow a flight control computer to manipulate the controls - sort of like an autopilot, but with more authority to make control surface movements. It provides many of the benefits of FBW, but at the same time, it retains a physical connection between the control column and the control surfaces.

The F-15 isn't the only aircraft to be fitted with a system like this - the F-14A+ and F-14D had a similar system installed as well.

Yeah, the jives with how it was explained to me. What's your background in this, out of curiosity?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrChips posted:

I work in the aviation industry. A while back, I spent some time talking with some Eagle drivers while we were all twiddling our fingers in the FBO, waiting for the weather to lift. I asked them a mountain of questions about their aircraft (some of them were pretty technical), nearly all of which they were happy to answer.

Yeah, pretty much everything aircraft-related on the F-15 is probably available to the public at this point. It's not exactly cutting edge anymore. Radar, communications, and weapons is another story...but pretty much everything else is probably fair game.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This thread is wrecked. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

I don't get the pun...

Indy Racing League. Come on, don't let us all pass you by!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If the explosion was in another cylinder, that piston might be forced down but another could be forced up.

Don't give me crap for talking about an explosion inside a combustion cylinder, I know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ab0z posted:

What brand is the wrench?

I think it's a Craftsman.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BigKOfJustice posted:

Here's another user failure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo

This was last year in Azusa Canyon I think.

Nothing about this makes ANY sense. Somebody with an obviously modified YJ let them try to tow him by the BODY? gently caress. Much less perpendicular to the jeep. Got exactly what he deserved.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

blankooie posted:

55k for a new GTR motor? :lol::lol:

For that price you could buy a Z06, and two spare motors.

Or a handful of LS9s. :unsmigghh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

I bet it made a pleasing sound :3:

I bet it sounded like a Dremel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wow...each angle is more destructive than the last. That was a much more violent explosion than I initially thought.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

D. melanogaster posted:

Edit: Holy crap, did the flywheel beat the Focus?

Well that Focus is a lot heavier, due to insane beltlines and mandatory safety equipment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

This seems... questionable.

And goofy.

So probably accurate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

I like this thread too much to let it die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632-6Y8jJ2I
Was this staged?

Staged or not, I'm glad I didn't see this yesterday morning before I threw the Sting Ray on a dyno.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sponge! posted:

Try getting a spark plug anti-fouling adapter most auto parts places have them if you ask.

As I understand it its a sleeve that goes in first and helps prevent the poo poo building up.

I'm trying to imagine how something like this could possibly work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They should've posted a picture of one, then we'd at least be on-topic still. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OWLS! posted:

Once I had a break job done where they didn't screw in the bolts holding in the pads, then the pads promptly swung down and ground against the wheels.

...That was fun.

I did something similar last weekend. One pad worked its way out, but got wedged against something else so it didn't completely fall out...but it did let the pistons pop out just enough that all my brake fluid burst out onto the interstate off-ramp about 200 miles into a road trip, after being my normal daily driver for two loving days.

If there's a good time to have your brakes fail, this was it. I had like 1/3 of a mile to downshift then bring it to a stop with the parking brake, had just gotten through a congested construction zone...seriously, I have no idea what I did in a past life to earn that kind of karma. There were so many times I could've been completely hosed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

trouser chili posted:

I'm pretty sure Toyota Corollas are supposed to bear the weight of a loaded 53 foot trailer on the front end.

I'm eagerly awaiting the results of today's Congressional hearing on the matter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That looks like something from a movie, seriously.

Edit: Probably a Final Destination movie, or something with Bruce Willis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

joat mon posted:

Falling Water for the trailer set:

This is now my dream home. Holy poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Skyssx posted:

I heard it's got awful problems with mold.

But seriously, how does anyone in America not know that home on sight? It's like saying "What the gently caress is a Ferrari?"

Sure, if there was only one Ferrari in the country and it was parked in the woods on a tiny waterfall for the past 80 years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Everyone who lives near a flood zone needs to see pictures like that so they realize that a river will have NO PROBLEM moving your little Kia Rio or Ram 2500 in whatever direction it wants when they try to drive through it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kfrb

"Aeronautical Insanity: Eh, duct tape ought to hold it"

Adhesive Insanity

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Skyssx posted:

MEK will rapefuck a planter's wart. You can get it at any paint store or big box store.

That aluminum tape is also available about anywhere. Great for sealing the take down seams on UAVs to decrease drag.

There's a Global Hawk the maintainers call "Patches" because of all the speed tape. :shobon:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm pretty sure it was a joke about the use of the word "careered" instead of "careened."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn. The entire head of the piston is gone. I've always seen SOME of it remain.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If the AF didn't have to buy everything from Skilcraft we'd have enough money to buy an F-22 for everybody in the service.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Looks like Voltron's foot...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bird cooch posted:

Good lord.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm going with neutral drops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

At least there's not a severed foot in any of the pictures.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That front wheel arch isn't a weird shadow, that's a crunched fender.

The roof looks like it's caved in up front. I have no idea why.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 30, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

That's weird. You can't set it on fire just by spinning the tires.

You certainly can, and youtube is full of burnout videos that end in fire. I don't think that's what's happened here though. The fire clearly starts up front.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

Actual fire coming out of the rubber or smoke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP1nEO3XcrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqFsi1KAV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOR5btU8uWU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alereon posted:

Potentially stupid question, but why don't engines have some sort of thermal protection that shuts them down before they get hot enough to catch on fire or sustain damage? I mean clearly there's a temp sensor since an overheat light comes on, why doesn't it just shut off?

I've overheated a car to the point that it died. Gave it a few minutes to cool down, then started right up.

Once I found a parking spot I popped the hood and found that I'd forgotten to plug in the electric fan. Whoops.