Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Amazing. Really interesting to see how difficult it appeared to bring the thing to a stop when only one engine is available for reverse thrust. It looks like they had the thing cranked to the left when they touched down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ijustam posted:

Big fail, indeed.

http://www.todaysbigfail.com/view/20100215

I'd like to imagine that the neighbors are inside trying to watch tv, rolling their eyes as the annoying neighbor with the loud car revs his engine again. The husband instinctively leans forward, reaching for the remote to raise it up three clicks when they both hear a loud THUNK, followed by the familiar nuisance noise stopping. They run to the window like children looking for Santa just in time to see the smoke begin pouring out from under the hood of the neighborhood travesty, and exchange a mutual grin before settling down to finish their viewing of whatever happened to be on TBS at the time.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Godholio posted:

How does that happen? It looks like a balloon animal got stuck in your spokes.

Looks like the tire bead ripped loose.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

Didn't Dave Matthews do this to someone on their tour bus in Chicago or something

If I remember correctly, they flushed or dumped their waste chamber while going over a bridge and the piss hit a goon on a boat underneath it.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1174437

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

What is it with sisters?

Fellow goon Stabbinhobo's sister was driving his car while he was away at college. When he came home on break, he noticed that the oil light was on, and asked her how long it had been that way.

"Ohh, that's what it was. I was trying to figure out what the little magic genie lamp meant"

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I spent two summers working in a distribution warehouse. One day, someone loading up a truck accidentally nailed one of the truck tires with the fork of a forklift. The the force of the bang blew out one of his eardrums and threw him against the back of the cage. A fully loaded tire busting loose will fuuuuuck you up.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Guys, I've played GTA. It's all cool. He'll just need a little extra room to turn.

also: in my head, I keep hearing ta da DINK da da ta da DINK da da ta da DINK da da ta da DINK da da :||

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This happened to a friend of mine today. Sheet of ice flew off the SUV in front of him landed with enough force to cave the windshield in. Dude has a pregnant wife who thankfully wasn't in the car with him, but god drat...

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It is, and I've seen people get pulled over and ticketed for it, but it's fairly rare. Immediately following snow, there are a lot of tank commanders out there, driving around with only a small section of their windshield cleared off.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Lord Gaga posted:

I really wish someone would take a decent mic out and measure the sound/acoustic emissions, do an FFT and clearly show with science n poo poo how well these things work. Itd be super easy but once the audio been all compressed and what not I feel like it wouldnt be nearly as accurate. Not to mention no idea on he quality of that mic for the gun's frequency range.

Yeah, I was watching it just assuming they'd bust out some sort of numbers at some point. Without a reference, it's just like showing a picture of a room with no windows and saying "look how bright it is in here"

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It's ok guys, he took care of the heat problem.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Ever speared something that was charging at you? Trust me, you don't want to be holding whatever you pop that with, as it's going to be going the opposite direction at a high rate of speed shortly.

When I worked in a warehouse, a co-worker popped the tire of a fully-loaded truck with one of the blades of his forklift. It basically blew him out of his seat and gave him permanent hearing damage. We all thought a propane tank or something had exploded.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

edit: here's nine minutes of a man with a soothing voice talking about rotors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3MK8Euz3HQ

That is one soothing-rear end voice

edit: Thanks, Bill O' Connor

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

FatCow posted:

I was once in a room with enough flywheel UPSs (Flywheels hooked to generators) to power an 11MW datacenter for 16 seconds. I was fairly terrified. I'm not entirely sure my city is aware of how much mechanical energy is being stored in that building.

Can't find the weight of the flywheel but found that they spin at 36,750 RPM. I want to say it was in the 100-150lb range. Containment was gauge sheet metal.

[e]
The flywheel weight may have been much higher, the entire enclosure weighs 1500lbs.

I've been in a room full of these, and it's a weird feeling. It's almost like being next to a freight locomotive but without being able to see or hear it, you just get a sense that there's a huge amount of energy and motion around you.