Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Really? I've never seen a production car with fewer than double the number of coils I see there (3.5?), even with McPherson suspension.

I think some of the coils are hidden behind the wheel/tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

General_Failure posted:

Heads and pistons from my collection. The thing to note on the bottom head is the shim sitting on it. See the hole burnt throught it? Yeah. Did that in less than an hour, on more than one cylinder. Due to the domed piston pictured next to it.

The top one, dropped intake valve seat, ate a piston.

What kind of crazy motor is that? Boxer 4?

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Very sad, indeed. The castings on the outside of the head looked "old", something you wouldn't see in a newer model car, but I haven't ever seen an aircooled VW engine before :)