Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
White line is from wheel arm digging into the road, about 20 meters long

See my followup thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3225246

Boy is my rear end sore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

sharkytm posted:

I've seen one when we were at sea out near NJ. Maersk SeaLand container, with about 2" of freeboard. scary poo poo.

I'd so try and figure a way to salvage one in secret.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Cakefool posted:

Even a 20" half full of water would weigh like 18 tonnes? you'd need a pretty big boat to contemplate it, unless you just wanted to tow it back to port & borrow a crane there. Then you open it & find 25 Chinese bodies, not the 1908 Jag you were hoping for.

It'd be kinda fun if money were no object, just playing gigantic ocean lucky-dip. Get boring soon?

Tow it to shallow water, or tidal sandbar perhaps.

Might get lucky and have a container full of something packed in that loving clamshell plastic for example, scubalooting!

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Shai-Hulud posted:

Welp, just hellaflushed a VW T4:

Balljoint on the lower control arm ripped itself apart. Doesnt actually look that bad from underneath.
Anyone know if this could have hosed the, automatic, transmission? It slid like 20-30 meters like that...

When that happened to my 88 integra, transmission lasted another three years.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Letmebefrank posted:

Helsinki airport the other day. Perhaps more of a user failure to know basic physics.

I stayed at a capsule hotel in singapore that used a couple of those , setup exactly the same as cooling.
It was pretty swampy.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Platystemon posted:

See how there are fuses around the edge of the box?

Those can’t be taken out unless the dash is taken apart. There isn’t enough clearance to pull them out of their sockets.

I'd probably cut out the plastic surround. It wouldn't be visible with the door closed.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

I wonder some times, how much crazy assed poo poo was not recorded/photographed in the days before everyone having a camera on everything.
The days of less......... "precise" metallurgy must have been full of catastrophic mechanical failures of varying degrees.

The camera thing extends to a lot of life. For example, I'd never consider doing half the stupid/illegal stuff my mates and I would do anymore.
Yeah in a way that can be good, but it takes away lots of freedom and adventure.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

BloodBag posted:

Is this a reference to the miniseries The Stand? I thought nobody but me watched that fine piece of cinema.

Its also a book.
Books burn up nice like old lady semples pension check. Trash.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

I like the complete lack of fasteners on the bumper and hatch and complete lack of welding on a total rear subframe and suspension replacement. Amazing.

I dunno if its normal or not but the front jackstands, with two feet not three, gave me the fear tingle when they were under. hrrrrghh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

They're pin stands -- they slot into horizontal holes in the side of the car's frame. It would take some doing to make them fall.

Here's a video I haven't watched yet that seems like it explains the concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ZyeCeoQn0

Thank you. Hadn't seen that before. Off looking into it now.