Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

I really want to hear an A-10 firing in person. It's like the tripods from the remake of War of the Worlds.

They sound the same as what you hear in the videos, just louder and with more bass hitting your chest. I got to play with them at the National Training Center in the Mojave Desert. It feels cool enough calling in artillery fire and watching a patch of ground smolder because of you, but unleashing close air support from an A-10 on something makes you feel like god.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

chem42 posted:

This truck is rated to haul 800,000lbs, whats another 200,000 going to do?

Besides snap the front suspension?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Joe Mama posted:

Four aluminum threads, that's it. There is plenty of room to have more threads on the head and the plug but nooooo.

I've had to do a couple cyl head jobs because of these. And no, you can't leave the plugs in for 100,000 miles just because the morons at Ford say you can.

I got 100k miles out of the spark plugs in my '03 Mustang GT and so have millions of other people. The spark plug problem isn't an issue for all mod motors, just the occasional 4.6 DOHC engine (and rarely the SOHC) and some 5.4 SOHC truck engines.

Skyssx posted:

No, it's every Mod Motor in one way or another.

Just because a few dozen people on some truck forum had it happen to them doesn't make it a common occurrence on an engine platform with installed numbers in the multiple millions. Yes, it's a known issue with some Mod engine platforms, but it's far from endemic to the family.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Skyssx posted:

I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but Ford has TSBs out for every mod motor ever for one or the other spark plug issue. Just yesterday I was at the local parts counter getting Zetec bits and some guy came in looking to buy the removal tool because his plug threads had stayed behind in the engine head of his work truck.

Right, some people are shade tree hacks that have no concept of what happens when you screw a steel spark plug into an aluminum head without using anti-seize. That shouldn't be used as a mark against the Mod family in my opinion.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

joat mon posted:

Input shaft gear failure that also wrecked the countershaft on a ZF 5-speed mated to a Ford 460:

How? I don't know. I bought the truck knowing the trans was bad, although I'm sure the PO's running it dry (!) didn't help.

Really? You have no idea how a transmission that dies behind the torque of a stock 302 died behind a 460? Those input shafts are notorious. Bob Cosby went through a couple dozen during his run for the championship in NMRA Factory Stock with his '99 Cobra making all of 350hp.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Detonation is bad, kids. However, if you know a badass with a welder, he can fix you up proper.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

I refuse to believe this kind of quality work can be cheaper than a new head.

That's an extensively worked over Ford 4.6L SOHC NPI head. It would cost roughly $1000 to buy a new head and redo the port work to it vs. the $550 it cost to repair it.

Note: The spark plug didn't blow out. :keke:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

orange lime posted:

Sure there is. Torque = (hp*5252)/engine speed at which hp was measured. If it's putting out 10,000hp at 100 rpm that's 525,000 lb-ft.

As I said, :gonk:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_Maersk
84,484hp

Although, this is wikipedia, it says the top speed is 256.1 knots (294mph)

Just to clear this up, that would make it 4,437,100 ft-lb.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sponge! posted:

I worked in an iron foundry for 3 months...

I lost almost 30lbs (I was 5'11 175 going in, and 5'11 148 coming out.) Man was it hot as hell in there, even in March-May. I got to wear a cool powered forced air breathing apparatus though.

I went to an interview at a plywood plant for an IT job when I first moved to Alabama. It was August and the temps in the sheetmetal building they did all of the work in were well over 150°F. They use steam presses and poo poo to do most of the work so the humidity was 100% as well.

The amount of near death experiences just walking in the designated walking path was unreal. Plywood was cruising by at head height on gantries, forklift operators were tearing rear end around the building moving loads as they got paid by the load, huge steam presses were venting superheated steam at random intervals and made walking around them like some kind of hosed up Super Mario level were you had to time it just right.

I never even made it back to the HR office, I said gently caress this place and left.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

We have one in the DIY forum, but it's more for hobbyists.

Several blacksmiths, multiple weldors, and a couple guys who do backyard metal casting.

I have this deep rooted fear of actually looking at that thread for fear of it being nothing but neckbeards asking how to make Hanzo steel and chainmail.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Skyssx posted:

https://www.theringlord.com Make it out of whatever metal (or non-metal, really) you can imagine.

frozenphil - The hobbyist's metalworking thread is not nearly as goony as you would think.

Says the guy who bookmarked a site that offers this fine article of clothing:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So you hear a noise in your bottom end and decide to drop the oil pan and check out your bearings. What's the worst thing to see in the pan?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I saw this a few days ago with a lovely 4G37 I am rebuilding :smith:

This dude slapped a Kenne Bell on his stock 2v Mustang and decided to see how much boost the stock shortblock could handle. 20psi was probably a bad choice of starting points.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sponge! posted:

How did oil control ring(s) end up down there? Massive skirt failure?

Like I said above, 20psi from a positive displacement Kenne Bell supercharger on a stock 2v Mustang bottom end. Most consider 14psi or 430rwhp to be pushing your luck on the garbage stock hypereutectic pistons and powdered metal rods. He would have been making around 600 to 650rwhp on 20psi with a proper setup, but the stock fuel system and bottom end can't keep up with that. Go lean, detonation on already maxed out pistons and rods, boom.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

996 motors and light-weight flywheels don't mix, kids.

"What is this metal and rubber doughnut thing on my engine? I bet removing it should be worth a few horsepower. Stupid engineers, this is a performance Porsche, it doesn't need a smooth ride!"

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I've worked places with those shelves (and with a similar lack of bash-guards at the lower legs) - they're just thin sheet steel folded into sections, not even proper box or tube. They're frightening enough on their own, never mind when you see a loaded one get clipped by a forklift and crumple like the proverbial coke can.

Think foam rubber sounds squishy and delicate? When it's 1) strapped to a pallet and 2) descending from thirty feet up, it'll gently caress up what it hits good and proper.

Video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6FAOY6Pmpk

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 16, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

grover posted:

FYI, that very same video was JUST posted, and was what InitialDave was replying to.

Mind linking me, cause I don't see it.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you edited in the video after I had already moved on to the next page. I'm sorry I didn't check previous pages to see if anyone had edited it into their post.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

my1999gsr posted:

Oil starvation to the top of a 1.8T Passat resulted in this:

That's an intake cam broken at the journal.

Here's a pic of the bearing cap (the bearing is integral):

Sorry if the images are too large.

Integral bearings? What a stupid idea. I do like the blue journal in the first pic, though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sponge! posted:

That's not a journal, it's a cam lobe innit? Or am I just not seeing the big picture? :)

Yeah, you're right. It looks to be in between the bearings.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

14 INCH DICK posted:

How did we immediately go from talking about high torque high reliability engines to boosted rotaries?

Because rotary owners are retarded and feel the need to justify their antiquated, inefficient engines at every opportunity.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Boat posted:

I'd certainly read it, but I don't know of any words for trains that start with "A."
so far we've got Automotive, Aeronautic, Aquatic...?

Amtrak

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I thought you guys might appreciate this. This is an oil-rigger's blog site, with some pretty technical in-depth discussions about what happened to the deepwater horizon and why:

http://www.drillingahead.com/forum/topics/transocean-deepwater-horizon-1

Be sure to read the comments after the main article.

That article is fantastic. Thanks for linking it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Rogz posted:

I need pictures of the recovery. :f5:

Do they make cranes that can deadlift 120 tons through water?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Reminder that the OCD detailer guy is the way he is because that's how you attract high paying retards who will give you $12k to wash their Veyron. Seriously, he has customers that pay him thousands of dollars to wash their cars because he has set himself up as that crazy over-the-top OCD detailer guy who will take a Q-tip to the grease in your hinges.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

monkeytennis posted:

I just don't understand why anyone needs their car to be *that* clean, unless it's to be stored in a museum or similar.

Like I said above, it's because being retarded like that gets him customers since he's known as the detailer who leaves no stone unturned. He charged $12k to "paint correct" a Veyron. He charges thousands of dollars for a normal wash and wax and he is booked solid for months.

He's crazy like a fox.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ab0z posted:

How long does it take him to detail a car like the veyron for $12,000? If it's under a month then holy poo poo he must make a PILE of money.

He said something about taking 4 days for a full "paint correction", but the website with the post is down now.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

anonumos posted:

The commentary in the video suggests that there were two pieces that flew under his feet, so either he's lucky to have jumped twice, or is just loving fast.

Watch the video again. You can see one piece go under him on the first jump and another go under on the second. All of the people getting hit in the background get hit twice too. It's pretty awesome to see them get smacked in the shins and dropped by the first piece and then clubbed in the melon by the second piece.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

neckbeard posted:

I just got back from the Yukon, and outside of Fort Nelson BC the roads are a bit rough due to the abuse they take from the logging trucks in the area. We hit an unmarked bump just outside of town that caused this to happen to one of the rear wheel hubs off an `03 Ram 3500 at around 2 in the morning:

edit - and the wheel:

Jesus! How fast were you going and how big was this "bump"? I mean, those parts on that kind of truck are usually beefy as hell.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

InitialDave posted:

careered through the wall

I guess in this economy you've gotta take work wherever you find it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I never said it was incorrect, I just made a lovely economy joke. loving goons, always over thinking poo poo.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

You Am I posted:

It must have been a non interference motor

A broken cam is what originally retired my '67 Mustang to the garage many years ago. It still ran fine and made no strange noises, it was just really down on power. Sometimes you just get lucky with where the valves come to rest I guess.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

akeidolon posted:

Haha, that's about the right vintage, maybe even same kind of engine? The cam is out of the 360 from a '68 Ford F-100 Ranger. Speculation is that a backfire caused some things to be where they shouldn't resulting in the break, I don't know if that is possible or not. My little brother had been driving it a bit and didn't give it enough choke while it was cold, and the failure became evident shortly after his abuse.

At any rate, the truck's new owner is dumping a big block into it, and I'm going to make use of the 360 (with a new cam, of course) and C6 out of the truck in my Country Squire since I don't have the funds or inclination right now to rebuild the 390 and Cruise-o-matic that have been sitting in it for the 30ish years it sat.

Nah, the 360 is an FE engine that was introduced in '68. Mine has a little Windsor 289 K-code.

The 360 is just a de-stroked 390. You can swap 390 internals into it and have yourself a 390. If you want to get crazy, take the block to your machine shop and see if there is enough material to accommodate a .080" overbore. A few 360/390 blocks slipped out with enough core shift in the casting to allow this. If so, you can make your 360 a 427. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Thanks for the new nightmare fuel!

:psyduck: