Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

wiring harness to the MAF sensor melted, so the ecu assumed airflow had been cut off, and therefore didn't need to inject any fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

blankooie posted:

55k for a new GTR motor? :lol::lol:

For that price you could buy a Z06, and two spare motors.

which is good because you'll need the spares.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I suppose this could go here:

That's the oil pan pickup for a subaru. Needless to say the bearings weren't doing so well.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

e;f;b

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 11, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

this is not what a rod bearing should look like:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

here's what happens when you put a bunch of lovely e-bay parts on your subaru:

and here's what happens when you drive a bone stock 08 sti:

and here's what happens when the machine shop doesn't properly torque rod bolts:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

buzzomatic posted:

It's not proof, it's an anecdote. Here's to the underdog.

Here's something that is undoubtably suited for this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF3r5ImsHXA&feature=related

I don't think it's been posted here, but perhaps it's in the million or so pages of that YouTube thread I've not yet read.

the coating on the titanium rods wears off, they gall on each other, and boom, that happens.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think something went wrong here:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

c355n4 posted:

Fram :p

Do you know what happened? Thats alotta shavings.

shavings? those are chunks of piston. You can even see a piston pin circlip sitting on the pickup there.

I have some pictures on the work camera and will bring mine tomorrow. needless to say that whole motor is hosed. Maybe he should have checked the oil level occasionally...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

wow my broken part on facebook of the day has nothing on that:

list of things done wrong on that one:

headers/up-pipe
turbo
intercooler
boost control solenoid
turboback exhaust
PO's water/meth injection disconnected
stock injectors
no tune
retard street racer

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

on skylines the motor is long and the flywheel is pretty much in line with the feet. They have the front diff next to the motor with one axle going through the oil pan. Audi has not figured this out, instead opting for 70/30 weight distribution.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 17, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Devyl posted:

Back on topic... I was wondering why my idler pulley was making a squealing sound. I think I figured out why now:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

This is my old car:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

this happened to us last weekend:

car ended up parked on this berm:

and we had video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHx2-pvqtfg

Basically the extra load put on the upright from our ball joint extenders caused the upright to crack and the ball joint to come out, in the middle of a 120mph corner.

Could have been a lot worse.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah for the 2k the msi parts cost I'd rather design and have them made myself. I can incorporate the right mounting for our stoptechs among some other things. I'd also do a set of custom control arms to go along with them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Savington posted:

Do you guys have any data showing JC's line through 9 to be faster than the generally accepted line through 9? That video shows him to be at least two carwidths to the inside, with a super, super early apex and super, super late throttle application to show for it. I'd be really amazed if it was actually faster his way.

Not sure if that's where he meant to be driving or if it was really that early of an apex but the beginning of the video is the end of the fastest lap JC's ever done there in a car. here's another viewpoint from a different day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-q8R3Ay1NM&feature=player_embedded!

He does know is way around big willow better than most people.

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 18, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

so that rod broke for some reason:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

reddeathdrinker posted:

And the clutch release arm that I replaced at Xmas. Outside. On the drive. In the snow...

I see that happen a lot with subarus too.

Here's a broken rear output shaft from an STI:

and here's part of a turbo we found in the exhaust:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

335i we have in here. like 30k miles and religious oil changes with bmw 5w30 synthetic:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Direct injection models all have issues with valve stems getting gunked up from PCV gas. Older engine designs "washed" the stems with gas on each injection.

yep.

needs a cusco catch can bro

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

it's probably fine but if you really want to know do a leakdown and compression check.

this really only happens to DI cars. The pcv system burns oily blow-by mist and on a non-di engine the fuel is injected right before the intake valves which keeps them pretty clean. This doesn't happen on a di motor so all the crap starts to accumulate in the intake system. A water/meth kit or a catch can would keep things cleaner.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

oh you mean you have a g35

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

here's the shortblock from our race car after sunday morning:

and here's something we just pulled apart:

guy had the motor built, about 1000 miles later a cam gear broke and bent all the valves. The cam gears on a subaru are composite plastic so if you drop or crack one they can explode sometimes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

This sounds like a retardedly fantastic idea.

well, they've been doing it since at least 1996, I've been officially working on Subarus for over 4 years now, and I've only seen it happen twice. I'd expect most manufacturers do the same thing.

Here's more carnage from the race motor:

Lasted long enough for us to win and set the track record - 3 laps Saturday morning.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 24, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This I-beam rod doesn't look quite right:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Savington posted:

Well done. How much power, how many hours? Is that a stock crank?

the last tune was 747whp/690lb-ft at 38psi and this happened just as boost came on in 5th gear. We stuck a rod through the side of the block last November and re-used the crank so that probably had something to do with it. 4 events and less than 30 laps on the rebuild. It's a BC, we also have some bent BC I-beam rods and a cracked cylinder wall.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

here's something interesting, final drive on a TSX:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

ha, just saw this on a friend of a friend's facebook:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

a bad battery terminal connection could MAYBE cause a misfire, but to blow out a rod like that there was either massive detonation, a lubrication failure of some sort, or if it's a rebuilt engine improper assembly (loose rod bolt or something).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I thought the problem with those wheels was that they decided to put the spokes in compression

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

so I've been meaning to swap in a replacement compressor and then re-charge the system. is there a reason not to fill it with r290 when I do? except that it seems I need to find a place that actually has it and is willing to put it in.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Ever wonder what happens when a fire starts at an acetylene bottler? :clint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gWBUoWigKCc#t=1426s

Happened in Dallas a few years ago. To add to the failure fun, Dallas PD/FD didn't bother closing I-35 until well after the tanks were flying, as you can see in another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUVswUkEIA

http://www.texas-fire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4011 has a bit more info on it.

oh great now I'm going to spend all day watching modern marvels

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

could you take video of that?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I had a kid bring his dad's CGT in and ask about getting some work done. I referred him to GMG and then he scraped the poo poo out of the front lip leaving the driveway and butchered the clutch.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

that looks like a subaru that crashed into a curb

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

that could actually be worse. the fact that the upper spring perch is wedged against the strut tower means that those long bolts aren't load bearing, and only see the forces generated by the damper, which are not as high or abrupt.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

maybe it's not such a good idea to use cheap knock-off suspension and steering parts:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

looks more like someone ran into it while it was parked there. I would see that on busy streets with parking all the time in long beach. Most were probably hit and runs too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

from a friend's facebook:

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 9, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This was just simultaneously posted by like 6 of my racing friends on fb:

what not to do at big willow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

So judging by that front bumper it had some sort of a "pre-runner" lift kit?