Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Not really catastrophic in mechanical terms, but this did cost me over 4 grand to replace all the valves and associated hardware for my 2001 BMW 330i motor after the "money shift". So financially it was catastrophic to me...

This is with the cams removed.

Click here for the full 2016x1344 image.

Click here for the full 2016x1344 image.

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Ericadia posted:

IIRC they overloaded it by about 200,000lbs

Holy jebus, that must of been terrifying sitting in the cabin when that happened, must of been like a 10 foot fall.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Mostly I look at everything in AI related to engineering and kind of get what's going on, but don't understand much. This is the first picture I've seen mechanical related and understood completely. (just learned about oil in my automotive class)

I frequent the bimmerforum and the guy who worked on this did it for a friend. All he says is "The person had a reason for this, and thats all I'll say"... That's an E46 3 series engine, which due to some reason with the way it's valvetrain is built is prone to sludging problems.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

chem42 posted:

It was more likely due to the 60k mile oil change interval than any design problem.

But it was only a 40k interval :downs:

Edit: Never mind, re-read, it was 60k, still a bunch of :downs: going on though.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

sharkytm posted:

10,000 at lost at sea (reported... according to some sources, it could be 5x that)

I guess in comparison to the total number of containers shipped, it's not a huge percent. But I am actually shocked to hear that many containers are simply lost at sea. Does that happen simply by a boat tilting enough and they just fall off, or rogue wave etc...?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I went to an interview at a plywood plant for an IT job when I first moved to Alabama. It was August and the temps in the sheetmetal building they did all of the work in were well over 150°F. They use steam presses and poo poo to do most of the work so the humidity was 100% as well.

The amount of near death experiences just walking in the designated walking path was unreal. Plywood was cruising by at head height on gantries, forklift operators were tearing rear end around the building moving loads as they got paid by the load, huge steam presses were venting superheated steam at random intervals and made walking around them like some kind of hosed up Super Mario level were you had to time it just right.

I never even made it back to the HR office, I said gently caress this place and left.

The ensuing thread about your injuries could have been Gold man. Way to not think of us :mad:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Hey heres an idea posted:

Well, its not really automotive, but it does involve a centrifugal pump, so its close enough, right?

I too would like to hear this story. And don't worry, if you've read any of this thread, there are a lot more things in here than just automotive. But who cares, mechanical carnage seems to be very welcomed here in AI.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

scapulataf posted:

I'm certainly mot calling bullshit, or disputing this in any way, but that piston seems to be quite small given the length of the crankshafts in locomotive engines.

About 5 years ago, I was doing a job at a place in Winnipeg this place to be preciseand they were remanning locomotive crankshafts. Which were 2 pieces each piece longer than my arm span which is about 5 1/2 feet. So, the whole thing put together is 10+ feet long.
So, my point being. It looks like an awfully small piston, given the length and over all massive size of the crank shafts that I saw at that place.

Was that a "small" locomotive that happened to?

You can see in the second house photo that the piston is probably larger than an adult head, where most automotive pistons are the size of a beefy fist?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Coasterphreak posted:

jesus christ. every picture I see of that fire reminds me more and more of some horrible Michael Bay movie.

And we're all in it.

The only way the movie would be better is if it was in space... you know, since there are always huge FIREBALLS in space...

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

ModernDayDiogenes posted:

Arresting cable snaps on a carrier during an F/A-18 landing. It's worth watching just to see the one member of the flight deck manage to jump over the cable and not get injured. Several people got injured by this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFZx3tMEnA

Oh snap! :hurr:

I wonder how common those cables fail?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

"May want to watch that first step coming out the door... it's a doozy!"

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

My buddy sent this to me. Taken out of another friend's car that was "making a funny noise".

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Horrible stereotype failure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10475343.stm

I'm missing the stereotype, but I'm also retarded... Also, there IS a parking lot up there right? This would be much funnier if not...

Edit: I assume it is the "elderly woman hitting the gas instead of the brake" stereotype... Or just old people cant drive in general...

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 1, 2010

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Ola posted:

post pictures youtubes links to a blogspot with embedded google video of horrible mechanical engineering failures

http://rootsgpk.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-14-drilled-hole-in-wrong-place-can.html

That video was pretty damned cool.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hooooooly poo poo. Would that have gradually crushed in, or just collapsed suddenly?

(Please say the latter)

That newer show on G4, "It's Effin Science", recently displayed this on a tank about the same size... well maybe smaller, but at any rate, showing it suddenly collapsing. It would make me poo poo my pants rather quickly if I were to be in close proximity at the time.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Glynis27 posted:

Hmm, I've had an idler pulley making noise for a few years. It whines so badly that 2 people have asked if my car is supercharged when I start the car. Maybe I should finally get around to replacing that pulley.

You know, in support of this thread, you could simply let it go, and ultimately, or most likely, will lead to some damage that you could then post here...

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

jamal posted:

this happened to us last weekend:

I like the surprised "We're still recording :D"

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

miss_catherine posted:

E36 S50 money shift

Wow, when I money shifted my E46 330 I thought I had it bad, but I only bent the valves... I certainly didn't punch a hole in anything. Here were my worst valves.

Edit: I may have actually posted these in this thread already... oops.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 18, 2010

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Whitey Ford posted:

Because this thread has become a catchall for mechanical things getting hosed up, here's some photos from Iceland;

Can someone explain how this may have happened? The ground seems level, and wheels are straight forward... I'm feeling slightly retarded not being able to see why or how this truck ended up like it did...

Did the dumpster side of the truck cause the front to start lifting in some fashion?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

FatCow posted:

Fat driver.

In this case then, it should have collapsed in the middle of the cab :colbert:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Sweet christ that sounds terrible.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Can we get a picture of these mechanically failed hypothetical devices?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Ola posted:

You know how they have shock pics of diseased lungs on cigarette packs? They should have pics like this on the face of service booklets.

This is a brilliant idea, maybe even put some average repair costs for said damage.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Plinkey posted:

I think thats quite a pretty picture :3:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Shroomie posted:

Not my picture, but how in the gently caress does this even happen?

Dear lord, that looks like the same type of wheel my E46 sport wheels are, hope it's not common...

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Are those photos from the same guy on bimmerforums.com that didn't change his oil for like 60k miles or something? Pretty impressive still.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

Its fairly common on Lifted Jeeps. It doesn't take much for it to happen on a jeep, A bad bushing, bad ball joint, Loose Trackbar. All common causes, The problem is trying to fix it as most of the time its caused by a group of things and not just one single issue.

I help maintain a local Jeep forum and this is exactly the problem. Very prone to jeeps even with a moderate lift, and extremely difficult to troubleshoot. I've have also heard it is the scariest thing to encounter.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

DELETED posted:

"It's actually had diarrhea!"

BTW, if thats the ep I am thinking it is, where the challenge was to make campers or whatever they call it over there, and he built a zen tower deal... one of my favorite episodes.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

:words: :words: :words:

Guy's Trailblazer grenaded its transmission

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22724

Glad to see that was an SS. My mom's Trailblazer is about to hit 100k and I was thinking "poo poo, is this what she has to look forward to?".

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This was the first youtube channel I ever subscribed to. I love this guy.

Watch the video where he puts a brick in a dryer.
Then find the one where someone gave it eyes and a soul.

I'm pretty sure it was earllllly in this thread someone posted a link to one of his videos and was the reason I subscribed to the same channel.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

kastein posted:

lowered the hood and ran, 5 seconds later it let loose and spewed superheated steam and coolant all over where I had just been standing.

"Lowered", or dropped and ran? I can picture that... "Holy shi..." drop the hood and run like an SOB.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Throwing engine blocks a 100 feet, that is pretty awesome and WTF at the same time.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Thats why I got one of these. Even if you screw up red/black, it has a button you press that will light up to let you know you've got it connected all right.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Javid posted:

Somebody once remarked, possibly in this very thread, that you could cement those jeeps together to build a bunker that would survive the nuclear apocalypse, then chip them out and fire them up to take over the wasteland.

It may have been me as I think I posted photos of my buddy's Cherokee that had the 4.0l 6 cylinder (same from the Wranglers), which are the "cant kill em" engines. He hydro locked, and bent and twisted two rods while at the mud hole. Still drove it home about 40 miles, which a nice knock.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

wdarkk posted:

I'm going to have to go find a picture of the technique they use to cut these, but it basically is just a giant bandsaw.

EDIT: No picture yet, but they used a carbide-encrusted cutting wire.

EDIT: Oh, Rent-A-Cop already discussed this.

EDIT: Anyway, here's some pictures of the process.

Probably similar to the cutting method at places that quarry marble and such..

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

I remember reading that Cougar Ace article about the ship salvage team a while ago. Seems like such an insane, incredible job.

I just read that story, and have the exact same feeling. It's like the Commandos of ship salvaging.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Can we put the brakes on these puns...

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

EightBit posted:

I don't think that that was enough to kill a 4.0.

It certainly isn't. I am pretty sure I posted pictures way back in this thread from by buddy who hydro-locked his 4.0 Cherokee. The pictures were two rods that were bent AND twisted, but the bitch still drove home 40+ miles on the Interstate with a slight knock.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

There are a lot of companies that make fairly good replicas and all fit the BMW center caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

Poing posted:

Looks like it may have been an anchoring chain, so maybe a combo of long-term stress, salt and rough water? You can see the rig starts to bob after the chain snaps.

Also, that I4 with no intake valves is pretty ridiculous.

I noticed that as well. You can see the lights from whatever is in the distance rise very sharply then SNAP.