Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Contraband please post your dad's destroyed engine ITT. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Kotaru posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fFh31Ejmk

Crappy music, but you can see the entire piston and rod sail out the side of the engine.
That fiat split open like an egg, jesus.

Edit: How do you embed videos now, I missed the memo.
[video] [/ video] tags

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
tv talk is nice guys but at least the soda can chit chat was related to something failing mechanically. blowed up poo poo is cool to look at and watch so can we not derail the thread into being closed for going way off topic?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
that thing was in an old corolla? naaaaaasty

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
if its still in the shop tomorrow I'll have a picture of a Passat wagon with a seized water pump. The owner lucked out though because instead of snapping the belt it just wore half of it down to the wires and split the pump pulley clean in half.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
You say the check engine light is flashing in your VW?

Looks like your water pump seized.

This person doesn't have any idea how lucky they are that belt held and managed to split the pulley in half rather than snapping. We still had to pull the front bumper to get in and fix it though.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
so your car won't start? Oh, sounds like it jumped timing.

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

Scared the poo poo out of and deafened me from two bays over and brought everybody into the shop, even the store guys.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

CommieGIR posted:

What the hell happened? Backfire? Gas in the muffler? Or someone clog it?
when the timing was off it ended up dumping gas into the exhaust even though he was cranking with the gas pedal to the floor (which usually cuts fuel delivery on OBDII vehicles) and eventually the gas wanted to see new places so it escaped loudly.

The car was a mess anyway. Somebody else put in a new timing belt and got the timing wrong to begin with and coupled with an old tensioner it must've gone even more off when, according to the owner, it backfired one day when he went to start it. I'm amazed he was able to drive it to the shop at all.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

my1999gsr posted:

Passat or A4?

Passat wagon, forget the year. That blown up muffler was on a Jetta. Third times the charm so the next Volkswagen product to come in is probably gonna be a real doozy.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Root Bear posted:

The valve cores like to strip out on them as well if the caps have been left off. :argh:

I cannot even begin to express my displeasure with TPMS systems. I don't understand why they had to mandate such a useless waste of technology. I don't need it, I keep an analog one in my glove box. :colbert:

You might be amazed at how much business those tpms dash lights can bring into a shop.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Toucan Sam posted:

Mostly loving old people that i'm amazed are still alive due to how annoying and stupid they are. Old people using new fangled technology is the reason i will someday snap and end up in prison.

Or normal-aged people that say "hey find out why my tire light is on and make it go away." then you end up finding not only a nail in one tire but the rest are bald or cracking, they've got loose tie rods, an air filter made of dirt, no oil on the dipstick, both headlights out, metal on metal brakes and a rotted out valve stem that requires a new sensor to fix.

i like that idiot light.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Toucan Sam posted:

I guess i should start taking advantage of my customers also. If it's dumb TPMS with just a light i check the pressure in all the tires to find the low one, inspect it for damage, patch/plug the hole, and send the customer out ten dollars poorer. I think i'm doing it wrong.
its one thing to point out what could use some work on a car while also fixing the main problem. its another thing to take advantage of somebody who doesnt know enough to check their own tire pressure and scare them into fixing everything. most people ive come across are smart enough to make their own safety and financial decisions when things are explained to them.

Ferremit posted:

So just how much lead do you have to throw on a tyre to balance it if you have that hunk of crap stuck in one spot? I'm used to 100+ grams to balance 4wd tyres, but they would have to weigh a bit on their own?
i had to put half a pound of weights on a wheel today to zero it out even after remounting the tire and spinning it up several times to make sure the machine wasn't hosed up. rim was fine too, dunno what was up with that.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 4, 2011

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Toucan Sam posted:

Did you turn the tire 180 to make sure you didn't accidentally mount the tire on the wheels high spot? If it was me i would turn the tire to try to drop the weight. If that didn't work and it was my tire i would put a different tire on it and let the manufacturer eat the cost of a defective tire. I regularly put on retreads that balance out at less than 4oz's so there is no reason to let a car roll out the door with that much weight.

yeah i turned it when i remounted it and it got better but all the wheels except one were terrible. all the tires had different DOT batch numbers so it wasn't a single bad run of them causing the problem. we showed the customer and explained it to him and he said he didnt care, just to balance them as best we could so he could leave. two others needed 3+ oz and one only needed 1.5 total so we put that on the LF and the bad one on the RR.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

InterceptorV8 posted:

Your lack of a poo poo, I mean shift, key has to be a failure of some means.

i spilled a drink on the keyboard yesterday and can't find my backup keyboard, sorry.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Lowclock posted:

At least just say you suck at posting instead of bullshitting.

Found it. Thanks for the tip.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
a friend just shared this picture and it would fit nicely here. this is what happens when your mechanic insists that you need a new strut mount but you decide not to listen to them.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Totalled? Not on his watch.

Drove in under its own power for an oil change today.

You're got a pit at your Firestone? Is it a big shop? We don't have one but it'd be nice.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
your car has a flat tire? sure, i'll look at it.

sorry, can't fix it.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
good side

bad side

"I don't know what I could've hit to make that happen."

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

grover posted:

My god, what the hell did that car hit to put a huge divot in the tire and tear up the suspension that bad, yet have no apparent rim damage?
I don't know but wish I did. Not only was the lower control arm bent and twisted but what you see in the pictures is the subframe on the right side. The wheel sitting in the wheel well a good 4 inches back from where it should.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Two Ton 21 posted:

Is that the loving subframe?

yup

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

NOTinuyasha posted:

sweet rake on that

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

IOwnCalculus posted:

Somewhere, someone is looking at this and going "Yeah, that'd look awesome if it wasn't damaged."

it looks like one of the old hot wheels cars where you flipped the back wheels down and slipped some plastic drag slicks over them to look badass

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

The Scientist posted:

What does this sentence mean?

he forgot the word "on" in between brakes and modern

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I don't know. Batterys disconnected and its a bad day all around. I've been stuck on a phantom shake since 8am and someone else got hosed over ona passat hard. The gods have forsaken us this day. Managers on the warpath, no pics for now.

Bad day for us too. Packed all day with the regular work, theres an overheater that just got new headgaskets and had the heads machined, and then this clutch job came in on an 02 Altima that wouldn't shift out of first.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
by the way the airbag not deploying is a system failure and the damage done isnt an inherent safety issue with toyotas, its physics and crumple zones doing their work. big pickups and suvs have a lot of momentum at 30-40 mph and ride much higher than a 3rd or 4th gen corolla so its no surprise that the back of that car got reamed.

while impressive, there isnt any mechanical failure there, just an accident.

McDeth posted:

Apparently he was taking a swig out of his coffee while cresting a slight hill on a freeway on-ramp. CalTrans had just installed a brand new metering light (this was the first day it was up and running) and the car in front of him had just got the green when he cleared the crest.
ahh, driver failure. this problem is common in dumbasses and its usually an expensive fix, if it can be fixed at all.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 23, 2011

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
mcdeth just tell your friend to put the coffee down more often. it wouldnt hurt for him to get a more reasonably sized vehicle too but i figure you should start with the easy stuff.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
my factory original fuel filler neck has been leaking during fillups since last December. Over the last month it turned from a decent drip into a steady stream of gas which pooled behind my rear tire every time I put gas in.

today after work was over i brought the car in and replaced it with a new one.

16 years of rust, no wonder it was so bad.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bidikyoopi posted:

Also, having been back in MA for the last two weeks visiting my folks, gently caress MA drivers and their "Boston Half-out" or "Revere Merge" or whatever kitschy name your dad thought up for that jerkoff move. I've had people pull in front of my lane while I'm barreling down on them at 50-60mph and just look at me smugly like "What, ya gonna broadside my cah?" YES YOU rear end in a top hat I AM
As a lifelong MA driver I love driving here but thats the one thing I hate. However, its easy to get around most of them as long as you don't slam on the brakes and show weakness. If you do that they'll pounce and then do 5 under the limit to mock you.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bidikyoopi posted:

Haha, I know that spiteful driver, but I'm talking about the douches that pull fully into the oncoming lane when making a left turn. If someone lost their brakes or wasn't paying attention, they would go right into the driver's side door. And yeah, don't be a pushover, but you don't want to be that guy that's so afraid of getting traffic-goosed that they drive like a straight-up retard.
Oh I know when to take it easy and am usually a nice person to other drivers but the full noseout is one of the things that really irks me for the reasons you mentioned. I thought you were talking about regular noseouts where people see who takes the bait and lets 'em in.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You really can't turn left anywhere without a signal inside of 128 without doing that though.

You could always just wait for an opening since one, even a small one, will eventually show up. I've learned to use those waiting times as lessons in being patient, something that comes in very handy when in traffic.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Kotaru posted:

Houston, just saw that one the news. How did the signage support that sort of impact and not turn into a pretzel?

triangles are very cool things.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Geirskogul posted:

The Chrysler Neon is simply the worst car in the entire world, nothing more. I mean, Hitler didn't hurt me personally, but I still loathe the guy, so I can see why he rages on the Neon.

Its cool that you guys hate a small, light car with the wheels at the corners which has proven to be a very effective track car in ACR and homebuilt-modified trim.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Geirskogul posted:

Unless you modify them with a full-body rollcage, they'll apparently also kill you if you're simply in the vicinity.

It might just be me but I don't give a poo poo about crash ratings and think they alone don't make a car a bad car.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

boost in--->
<---hinges out

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Viggen posted:

What kind of cheap rear end job do you have that they still set you in the server closet?

Even if your car is running fine you still check the fluids every now and then right? Somebody should be checking the UPSs every once in a while too. No need to live with the server.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
A run flat ran flat.

Congratulations Toyota Sienna driver on destroying a tire built to avoid exactly what you've done.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

ratbert90 posted:

Did I just gently caress myself? Earlier today I started smelling serious gas smell coming from my Maxima (VQ30DE). When I got home I saw the injector under the intake manifold was leaking quite a bit, so 30 minutes later I had a injector o-ring kit and I went to work.

I got everything off, new seals, put the upper intake manifold back on, and tried to fire the car up. Except it doesn't want to turn over. It's very slow, and it sounds like it doesn't want to do a full compression stroke.

Is there any possibility other than a dropped bolt/nut in the intake manifold that something else may have got a bit messed up? When taking everything off a few things got wet, but nothing major it seems like.

If it is a bolt or a nut in the intake I sure as hell hope I can just fish it out with a magnet; I think my saving grace is that the car didn't actually start.

Also, if a Nut did get jammed in-between a valve, would that cause the car to struggle on a compression stroke?
A nut stuck in a valve would probably gently caress up the valve and then drop into the cylinder, loving up more poo poo. A slow crank would be the least of your worries.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

CaptBubba posted:

So an entire crankcase filled with fuel/air mix would have a nice open pathway to spark, possibly at several thousand feet?

Shifting gears, you don't need fuel to cause an horrific mechanical failure. In competitive cycling often times such things as durability and not turning into a whirling spike disc take back seats to shaving 10 grams off of the weight of a component.

One company called Mavic decided they wanted to make carbon fiber wheels so that they may sell them for thousands of dollars. This isn't too odd, other companies had made carbon wheels before. But they looked a bunch like alloy rims with wide slabs of carbon fiber. Mavic decided to cut weight even more and make carbon wheels with a spoked design. They didn't let the fact that carbon fiber in the bare minimum number of small long cylinders isn't exactly good for transverse shear strength stop them. When would that happen when riding?

Oh, right. There are turns in races.

One small wrong bump in a turn would cause the wheels to disintegrate. It mainly happened on the front tire, so the cyclist suddenly found themselves flying over the handlebars toward a bunch of sharp spikes of carbon.

The company then recalled the wheels, "fixed" the problem, said failures wouldn't happen, and anyway added fibers inside each spoke to contain any failures that wouldn't happen.

The next documented failure came at a public race, and happened to a writer for an online cycling site.

Weight weenies always make me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
A cool way to fix your tire is by using duct tape
[img-I_forgot_to_take_a_picture_with_the_tape_still_on.jpg]

to cover up the wood glue

thats holding the wadded up duct tape sticking through the hole in the sidewall.

After going through all these steps you will still need to buy a new tire and let everybody at the shop laugh at you behind your back.