Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just do it in Mexico (Oh clarkson, :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That valve looks like it's held on there with paper mache.

It's insulation wrapped in PVC. I do it for a living (usually with aluminium rather than PVC).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

C Prepared '65 Mustang... that was a front driveshaft u-joint at one point...

U joints are cheap, yokes less so.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Horse Divorce posted:

Perhaps I could interest you with some damage caused by a washer dropped into a cylinder. Guy says the engine ran for seven seconds. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150147711151156.292325.505291155&l=9de42eb0ee

quote:

GTO Cylinder head and pistons

Hahaha, I was like, "V6 DOHC GTO???".

Oh Mitsubishi. :v:

EDIT: >> Hey, a :canada: a couple hours down the road

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Ah, go on. If someone can put a V8 in an LJ80, I'm sure it'll be fine.

You got the go ahead from the engineering department, so start tearing that engine out of the wreck.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Order factory Ford parts from Tousley Ford.

They offer 10% above cost on all dealer parts.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It doesn't have a master on/off?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Impreza 2002 owner here. Yep. It was poo poo. I pulled my ABS fuse and sensors and wired up my bulb to flash on key on because seriously, the abs is going to hurt more then help. I learned to drive on a jeep without abs and know what threshold braking is. The abs used to go apeshit on my RS under tarmac braking.

I did the same, but I went so far as to remove the pump, wiring, and re-plumbed the lines to sit behind the passenger side strut tower.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grover posted:

VA does inspections. It's mostly a way for shops to charge $30 for a $.99 light bulb, and though it's a pain in the rear end to have to go waste a few hours some morning sitting in line at a local shop, it really does cut down on the number of total shitheaps plying the streets.

Some might say the same about house inspections too. :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
SockingtonTM is a trademark of Sockington Studios and cannot be used without prior consent.

I posted this in the cellphone thread, but this tire was soooo close to a huge failure. One of the ladies at my wife's work had a meeting with a curb in their short bus(or so reported), but that does not make up for the awful dry rot going on.

The wife wanted me to stop by and let her know if she she bother mentioning something. I suggested new tires all the way around.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grover posted:

That brings up a good question, though- how do you shift with two transmissions? Two clutches and shifters? He'd almost have to tie them together somehow.

Look up the Durocco. He did it with mechanical linkage.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My sister's rotors weren't very far from becoming two-piece.

The brakes loving HAMMERED when pressure was applied.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

My diff pin blew through the case back in may, apparently it's an extremely uncommon thing

Mazda's FWD transmissions have been doing that's since the early 90s. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Diametunim posted:

I am, although I usually lurk. Same name as on here though.

Shoot me a PM over there so we don't clutter up this thread anymore.

Move it to the Jetski thread. I want to hear more of this.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bang Me Please posted:

On many rotors which have two holes like that there are threads in them and two bolts can be used to pry a stuck rotor from the hub.

No, most times the HUB is threaded and the rotor is not. That's why the factory counter-sunk screws have to be ground flat on the hub after you drill out the heads. They seize in the hub threads.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I did a track day in my MS3, and it did stupendously. Only cost me boiled brake fluid, brake and tire wear was minimal. You should really give it a go, it does really well on the track.

He's more worried about how it'll do into a wall/barrier/car/so forth.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kastein posted:

Nah, I don't know anyone who owns jeeps.

Lousy, unreliable things those Jeeps. :ese:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
1/2" drive torque wrenches only go down to ~20-30lb-ft.

3/8" torque wrenches usually operate up to about 200 (+ or -) INCH pounds, which is less than 20lb-ft.

When you're working with small bolts and aluminium casings, it's best to be precise.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DefaultPeanut posted:

Got your drive sizes mixed up a bit?
My 1/4" Snapon torque wrench does 0-200 in-lbs, 3/8" does 15-100 ft-lbs and the 1/2" does 50-250 ft-lbs. On the note of aluminum parts needing exact torque, I have seen many cam seizures in four stroke MX engines because the owner didn't heed the graduated torquing sequence to 86 in-lbs.

Nope. My Mastercraft Maximum 3/8 only measures in inch pounds. 30-250 inch pounds. Part number 58-8557 for regular, 58-8561 for the maximum one.

Silly fuckheads thinking they know better. :jerkbag:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Okay, that was unnecessary. Here's the deal
A sample size of (1), with that (1) being the house brand of a loving tire store, does not constitute "usually".

I don't know what's in a Mastercraft 3/8" drive socket set, but none of my sets include things like 1/4" and 6mm. That's what 1/4" drive is for. You run less chance of destroying small bolts and weak threads if you don't use a giant fuckoff boat anchor wrench to tighten them. A 3/8" drive in/lb torque wrench makes no sense, it's like swatting flies with a bazooka.

Ummm?

I was saying that a 1/2" torque wrench was too much for EVERY job like the person I had originally quoted said. I explained that he might want a 3/8" one that operates at a lower scale than the 1/2" could reliably reach.

Then I was told that I must be thinking of 1/4" since my 3/8" ratchet surely couldn't read in inch-pounds.

Can't we just hug and make up? I was trying to show him other ratchet sizes have different capabilities. I wasn't trying to set the ISO for 3/8" torque wrench readings.

Also, my lovely tire store brand tools go down to 6mm in 3/8" drive. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of my new neighbors has been driving around with 4/5 lug nuts for a little while....

I was out walking the dog and noticed that all four wheels are like that.

Somebody stole his wheels and broke the lug with the wheel lock on it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
To be fair, it's not like there's an engine up there to absorb some of that impact.

I've seen lots of mucked up AW11 MR2s, and they generally stand up pretty well (I hope for my sake :ohdear:).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'd rather be in the car with half as much mass and be nimble enough to just avoid an accident. Viva Miata :3:

You can tell who has been to the soccer field and who hasn't. :colbert:

All kidding aside, I agree with you. It's a cold-war style arms race of high belt lines and reduced greenhouses.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

Many of them are constructed that way, but not all of them. I have no idea how you tell the difference, but I know that several models that fit on Porsches looked a whole lot like Mahles when I cut them open (I use whatever is cheap for the first start on new engine builds or major work that's going to get an immediate oil change).

I always wondered about this. Wouldn't you want the BEST filter after a rebuild to catch everything that shouldn't be in there?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I blame computer modeling. Instead of overbuilding for the sake of reliability, they can see how much metal/stress is needed before failures occur.

That whole cost of 10lbs of block material staying there versus removing it for weight savings, tooling costs, etc.

Of course those computers also give us well over 100hp/L so it's not all brown rain.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

thvwlshvscpd posted:

I have a set of collapsible chocks I keep in my DSM next to the factory scissor jack. :shrug:

A DSM owner being well prepared for a break down? You don't say! :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Devyl posted:

Ya know, it's pictures like these that make me wonder. The person who did that was competent enough to understand compressing the spring, but not the fact that Autozone rents out spring compressors. I mean, seriously.

The rear springs on the US first-gen Focus require some ingenuity to install. A local tech says there's a weird compressor that they have to use on them due to the location.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Godholio posted:

Not on the sedan. I installed some SVT springs and there wasn't anything particularly hassling.

It may have been my spring compressors I used, but I couldn't get them in there without them interfering with the surrounding suspension.

Edit: it was only the rear passenger side that didn't want to go in, but that side had been hosed up in a previous accident.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 26, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It was from a friend-of-a-friend. Pretty sure it was a drag car running meth injection and boost.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
From a Toronto repair shop;

quote:

This is a spring from a 2006 Mercedes Benz C350 with 50,000 kilos.

The customer heard a "pop" noise last week while driving and thought nothing of it. He came in today for another un-related problem and mentioned he heard a noise and asked us to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Slavvy posted:

My boss has an e36 shell so that's where the engine would go :getin:

Truly a sign from the automotive gods. Get on it.