Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Marux posted:

Not sure where in the thread they are at this point, but I saved these:

That reminds me of the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Two Finger posted:

I've seen that photo in one of my lectures... I believe it was hosed up on a testbed. I want to say hydrolocking did that, let me see if I can dig up the link.

Got it:

http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/testbed_smash.htm

These stories are great. Want to gently caress up? Want to gently caress up BIG TIME? Become a Marine Diesel Mechanic!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Haha, why do you think I do it?

Reposting these from the aquatic insanity thread:

I believe that's called "A Trail of Chaos" or something that had to be awesome to watch from safety.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tindjin posted:

I know they are huge but the kid in me wants that to be a R/C truck hauling around someone's honda engine..

Couldn't be a Honda, because that engine has TORQUE.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

These engines can be run off of the thick sludge left from oil distillation that noone else wants, which is cheaper than the cleaner fuel required for turbine engines.

Bunker Oil 4 Lyfe.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Horrible Mechanical Failure..

Locomotives have 6 axles. They do not have individual control. You only have control of braking or throttle of them as a group. They can be cut out individually or in a group of 3 (by cutting out one whole "truck").

When you see the locomotives on the front of a train they are all connected by cables to behave as one giant locomotive. As some of you may have seen, we sometimes use locomotives at the rear or in the middle of a train using equipment that allows it to mimic the control inputs from the lead locomotives by radio. This radion input is translated by computer.

In this case something was lost in translation. When the train stopped somewhere, half of the locomotive running by radio (we call it distributed power) decided to stay under power. Weird things like this have happened from time to time but usually to the front power set and since that is manned you stop things, report it, shut it down, or just generally get it fixed.

Since that locomotive was unmanned nobody knew what was happening. I have no other specifics for you about what happened because of this, where it was, etc.

edit: What we don't see here is the thousands and thousands of dollars in damage to the wheel sets/traction motors. The damage to the rail is a pittance and could be fixed by 6 guys in under an hour.

Surprised that poo poo didn't burn.

Rail Car Explosions

Roseville, CA

April 1973- A railroad accident draws the Navy's attention to the hazards caused by fires and sensitive munitions. A train loaded with bombs had just entered the yard in Roseville, CA, when a fire was observed in one of the boxcars. Before the fire department could react, a massive explosion demolished the boxcar and spread the fire.

In the next few hours, 18 boxcars exploded in succession. There were no fatalities in this accident, but 48 people were injured and property damage totaled $24 Million.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=www.google.com

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Plus how much money do you think you save on castings and all of that good stuff to make flatheads.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Induced mechanical failure behind the wheel. She parked it here and left.

Spike is a pretty powerful drink.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Is that thing fake from what I am seeing their on the inside shot?

I don't think it's fake, which makes it even worse!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

It's a 35 question multiple choice test. If you can remember that you need to keep a bill of lading and MSDS with the truck at all times, that you need to put placards on all sides of the truck based on what's on the manifest, not put dangerous mixed loads right next to each other, and that you need to stop at RR crossings you're good to go.

FYI, this is all you need for driving most radioactive material as well.

As a long time hazmat technician for emergency response, I was horrified that this was all the driver's were expected to know to get the endorsement.

Not like we are to be handling it.

You want really mindless WTF, it's completely legal to haul nothing but batteries in a trailer without placards. 45,000 pounds of batteries is fine without markings, 1000 pounds of batteries with anything else, it's a hazmat load.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

yeah i turned it when i remounted it and it got better but all the wheels except one were terrible. all the tires had different DOT batch numbers so it wasn't a single bad run of them causing the problem. we showed the customer and explained it to him and he said he didnt care, just to balance them as best we could so he could leave. two others needed 3+ oz and one only needed 1.5 total so we put that on the LF and the bad one on the RR.

Your lack of a poo poo, I mean shift, key has to be a failure of some means.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Spiffness posted:

This was on Reddit with no real explanation other than '6 liter super duty drive shaft' and that it's the wiring harness of the truck it was on.

http://imgur.com/a/ZfVei

Jonny 5 suicide gif

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/HJA3J--g_yI

Failures of all kinds.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

Didn't the Mythbusters prove that while a cable snapping at high tension will leave a nasty bruise and potentially break some bones, it doesn't have the force necessary to split a body in half?

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/22/amusement-park-accident-severs-girls-feet/

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah...there's that too. It's an amazingly dangerous thing that that the military does routinely. It's pretty incredible.

Yeah, they land loaded semi trucks on a moving road. Well, they used too when the F-14's flew. Still the loaded weights are more than my tare weight and I sure as gently caress don't want to fly my loving truck (again) and crash it onto a moving road.

And they do this over and over and over...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Worst smoketunes I've ever seen were in Utah. The Utah Valley is gorgeous but smoggy as heck; I couldn't figure out why until I drove around and saw all the lifted pickups blowing soot constantly.

What is "Winter Inversions" for $800 Alec?

Kinda surprised about the amount of smog coal rollers have and how many there seem to be. I don't see that many really.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/2u2Ds7xkbJ0

loving what?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

RV owners probably view it as another "vehicle" to store, plate, register and insure and I'm sure there's a fractional improvement on fuel economy by just towing the vehicle rather than towing the vehicle on a trailer. I used to drive more than anyone other than OTR truckers and vehicles being flat-towed behind RVs was far, far more common than being tow-dollied or on a flatbed trailer.

The main thing you are all leaving off is space size and cost. Most places won't let you completely take up as much space as you want. You have a 40 foot RV, a trailer that adds x amount of feet, then your tote. Most places brag about 50amp 50 foot pull through.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/_JQdxC63vCQ

Holy poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Dradien posted:

Saw this while looking at some mining vehicle carnage. Makes me cringe.

No info other then a shoddy Chinese tire.

I thought those big loving tires didn't have that much air in them PSI wise. I know I run high PSI in my truck, but I thought those only ran like 45 PSI or so.

Still that is a lot of air in those tires under pressure. And would a .308 be able to go through those tires? Some of those fuckers have like half a god damned foot of rubber on them.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Yay! My new blower motor for my e320 showed up today! :woop:

Can't wait to get started! It's cold as hell out there!

Thanks, supplier for your awesome TP wrapping job. And thanks, Fedex, for playing bocce with your product!

DISCO IS NOT DEAD!

http://youtu.be/EtaZ48fERfc

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

hosed if I know the psi poo poo, but Goodyear's 52/80-57 tire holds 946 gallons of water at a 75% fill....

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

mutt2jeff posted:

I imagine they actually have quite a bit of pressure in them, they need it to carry 10's of tons of rocks and dirt.

But they also don't drive fast. Maybe I should say at X weight you are limited to Y speed kinda deal.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DefaultPeanut posted:

Loaded rock trucks hum along pretty good 40k. We kept the tires around 70 psi for the Volvos 30's we run, bigger machines with heavier loads run them upwards of 110 psi. When we had to run them to another site a few km down paved roads, we set them for 85 psi and were able to keep them fairly stable at 70km/h.

I was thinking more along the lines of Liebherrs, but yeah, those pressures are higher than I was thinking.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Opensourcepirate posted:

If those tires are pressured to anything close to (or more than) a car tire, that is terrifying.

I just remembered I was at a tire place picking up tires and they had some brand new "big" tires, bigger than for a semi, but not those mine truck loving huge ones, that for some reason were destroyed or unable to be sold, so they cut out huge chunks in the sidewalls to render them no good for anything other than yard art. And I'm not kidding, the sidewalls looked half a foot thick. I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to be around one of those doing what that picture shows them doing. But I sure as gently caress would love to watch the video of them popping that tire with an anti-tank rifle.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Somebody dumped stop leak in it.

I was going to say, looks like 5 bottles of stop leak cured the leak issue.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

That Japanese Death Cage scared me. It's like they added more metal to the car so you'll really need the jaws of life to get what's left of your corpse after the cage crushes down through the cute little cat boxes they have it mounted to.

Also, that camshaft had to make one hellofa racket for awhile to have that much metal hosed up.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

Don't rear-end a trailer :gonk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3G-kcKN70 :gonk:

Unless you put a huge lift on your cars?

That's what you get for getting outbraked by a semi.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Or just being parked on the shoulder!

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Arizona-pair-killed-after-rear-ending-semi-in-Utah/DRSj0VprZkC3bFpiIt9LZA.cspx

Trigger Warning: SPLAT

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

That's what those goddamned bars were mandated for in the first place...I remember when that requirement came in. Now they don't do poo poo?

quote:

....states that a manufacturer owes a duty to design a vehicle reasonably safe for the occupants, but does not owe a duty to those that collide with the vehicle.

Been quite a few cases like that, I do wonder if this is a case against split speed limits though.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

The anti-submerge bars on the trailers in the US look pretty crap. The ones in Australia have angled re-enforcements so they just don't collapse under like in that video.

Look at the Great Dane website:

http://www.greatdanetrailers.com/champion-cp

Are they like those?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Crustashio posted:

The lovely US one would at least be marginally better if the material thickness was enough to prevent tearing. Would still bend with that crummy gusseting but from the underneath camera you can see the whole bar is just tearing off the mounts.

I'm not sure what the US legislation looks like, but the language probably needs to be changed to enforce more stringent design and material standards. The :canada: one does a really good job, it just needs the main support beams at the edges of the trailer. Possibly a triple beam setup to maintain center strength.

It doesn't make sense though, as we have all our trailers Canadian specc'd.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

NoWake posted:

The 'High Ride' air solenoid is stuck open on my bus, the road mechanic couldn't change it out today so it's going to the shop tomorrow. Driving empty feels like I'm driving a bouncy castle, and driving loaded pisses off my passengers. I've apologized for the rough ride hundred times, but at least the roads here in central Florida are nice and flat.

Note: The back end of the bus is up about a foot and a half from where it should be, the air bags are completely maxed out and I can't believe they haven't blown. Water from the toilet has splashed the ceiling. It drove down from Ohio like this. :psyduck:

HAHAHAHAHAHA, oh my loving god that bus is making me laugh too hard. I can not believe you are driving it with people on board.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Godholio posted:

Hard? No. But it costs more money than they have to spend to meet the minimum requirement.

And adds to the aero drag.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Would it, though, with those new deflectors I'm seeing on trucks? The ones that look like an "A" from the top down, with the point in the middle of the front axle and the tails as wide as the rear of the box? The ones I see look like this, but with the front of it closer together or joined into a point.

There is going to be a lot of space from the end of the aeromod to the end of the trailer. And don't forget the tandem slides.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Voltage posted:

Amazingly relavent article, guy crashes his Z06 into the back of a semi: http://jalopnik.com/this-corvette-crash-should-have-severed-this-driver-s-h-451603754

He is lucky as gently caress he hit a straight truck, not a semi trailer.

It came to me last night why they aren't adding more poo poo to the DOT bar, when your tandems are all the way to the rear end end, you'll hit poo poo like brake chambers and air ride poo poo back there.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Someone wrecked into a car dealership here, managing to hit 18 new Hyundai cars:

Where is the mechanical failure?

I don't think that is supposed to happen.

http://youtu.be/Cxqgn_zxDKE

I think I've seen this before.....

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Welp, Satan has claimed your car. Tough luck, buddy.

Not so fast! "Acts of God" aren't covered, but that doesn't let the lord of the underworld off the hook!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

I think that goes here but goddamn! That's some uh... skilled framing work.

Since I don't wander over to that forum much, I'm glad it popped up here. It makes me feel better about myself, in a way that I never knew possible.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Not quite always. One of my favorite videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHtOW-OBO4

(how often are you going to hear the line "a rocket-powered driverless lorry smashes head-on into concrete"? :dong: )

And if you liked that one, you'll love this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNWgj-_tePU

You know those fuckers where sitting around pulling insane ideas outta their asses to try.

Let's hit it with a truck!

gently caress that, a train!

No, a rocket powered train!

ON FIRE!

:bubblewoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rujo King posted:

Those flasks are absolutely insanely well-engineered. You could stand alongside a truck loaded up with one chock full of transuranic waste and you'd pick up less radioactivity than if you stood on a hilltop for an hour and begged cosmic rays to hit you. IIRC the American one was also designed to last 10,000 years buried about 600 meters beneath a desert, deep within a layer of salt that would eventually grow back around it and seal it in permanently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfrog_County,_Nevada

While not completely on topic, I found this pretty neat.