Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CommieGIR posted:

No pictures, but Sunday I was driving down I-75 south back to Atlanta, and ricer after ricer was heading up I-75 north towards Chattanooga.

It was literally a parade of failed/damaged suspensions, Honda's burning oil, cars leaning at odd angles on a flat straight, and terrible rusted hoods and horrible paint jobs and neon plastidipped wheels. :psyduck:

What is wrong with people?

That's what you get living so close to Atlanta. Have you taken a tour of Road Atlanta yet? You can drive next to the track in a couple of places since there is houses all over the place there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have virtually no welding experience, but I was told that welding on galvanized metal was a great way to ruin your health. Are exhausts galvanized?

Metal shakes aren't a loving joke.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

These are the people who drive Nissan GTRs. This is terrible because I know there are good posters on this forum who drive them but it's kind of hard to take anyone who drives a GTR seriously after reading that poo poo.

In a related vein.

These are the people who drive MINIs. How do they actually have the gall to write this kind of flippant poo poo after delivering a car without remembering to install the shift paddles? I guess I am just not the target market for these things because if I had hosed up something like that at my job then well, I wouldn't be laughing.

You aren't the target market.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

These are also the same people who bitch about "unsafe semi-trucks and dangerous drivers"

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

And that's why vehicle fires, brake failures, and broke down vehicles everywhere are the norm.

I wouldn't say they are the norm, but poo poo does happen. Thankfully out in the wasteland most people don't want to pay a 100 mile towing fee, and those who do break down where the hills have eyes, get what they have coming.

As for stupid mechanic trick, this happened to me not that long ago.

Left is a new one, right is one that was installed 600 miles before. Yeah, oops indeed. Thankfully I had a couple of gallons of windshield washer fluid with me or I would have been one of those idiots with a 200 mile tow.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I feel like I'm missing something when having a couple gallons of windshield washer fluid helped you avoid a tow for what sure looks like an oil filter to me.

It's a cooling system filter.

:haw:

Oil filters are much much bigger. But that fucker is mounted between the block and the framerail so you can't see it from above, and it's a bitch to get from below.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/fleetguard-cummins-wf2127/water-filter-p-v52-wf2127

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

What? How could you need one of these? What is contaminating your coolant? :psyduck:

Yeah it keeps poo poo from clogging poo poo up, you know, removes scale and crap. Companies don't like to change coolant, because they are cheap bastards and a filter is cheap to replace. Most companies won't change coolant until an inframe is done. Until I had this issue, my coolant had over 200,000 miles on it without them checking it, I mean other than making sure there was coolant in the system.

Ford used to have filters on the upper hose for a while, looked like a giant metal fuel filter.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Sounds like every Detroit Diesel I've ever heard.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CBD posted:

Not really failure related; but none of our Detroit Diesels sound like that, maybe a series 60 thing? That being said you can't hear valve noise on a 71 or 53 series with no mufflers.
If I'm not mistaken aren't DPF's the exhaust filter that like to burn out that everyone hates? A lot of people I talk to seem to prefer DEF to DPF, and people that don't do a lot of diesel stuff frequently confuse the two?

Content:

This 4-53 came from a municipal backup pump. Low hours, no rebuilds. we were promised it would fire right up. When you service a Detroit Diesel the first thing you do is pull the valve cover and check the injectors and fuel rack. We found out that the municipality had likely given the engine to a high school to teach kids that big engines have big parts. The carriage bolts and head bolts were lose and the fuel rack was detached. We have removed the injectors to free them up because the engine sat for a few years.

Here is a picture to better understand the fuel rack people often talk about with Detroit Diesels.

http://youtu.be/BpY66IXyr1A

Yeah I was kinda making a joke about the model 60.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

FORD TOUGH HOUSE BENCHPRESS!

If it's a 6.9L, I also bet it still runs.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Runaway truck ramp failure in Nevada. So far the Mount Rose ramp has killed 4 truckers in the last couple of years. The best one is where they launched his truck off the end of the ramp and into a house.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

IV8 can you please explain to me exactly what truck ramps are meant to do? How does crashing the truck into a big mound of whatever help anything?

It doesn't help to crash it into a mound, that's the problem.

http://youtu.be/_dEQwZxvum4

This is a bad ramp.

http://youtu.be/14bZx3Jcu20

This is a good ramp.

Think of a sand trap/gravel trap on a race track. You sink in and it slows you down, hopefully before you come to the end. They also use different systems.

http://youtu.be/X70f0zzVENI

http://youtu.be/h-VbZb3q_T8

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

That had to make a noise.

The ~200 mile old water pump from my Ranger:

Close up:

Closer up:

Bearing end:

What's with you and waterpumps?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

but looking at it- its square to the ground and looks wound all the way down. Either the jackscrew nut failed, or they've deliberately lowered it down like that.

Or theres another jack under there somewhere!

I'm thinking they lowered it so it didn't fall over.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

flacoman954 posted:

What was that? Looks like a wet-sleeve diesel dropped a valve.

Yeah I was all, "Ah, just drop in another piston/sleeve kit and call it good!" Then I noticed the head gasket had three holes and got confused.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Her loving laughs after each stop makes that loving video great.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Measly Twerp posted:

I can't believe a car that large was ever called a "coupe".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf5uJYGoiU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

How NOT to do a totally rad smoke show.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://vimeo.com/43766458

The only song that you need to play while driving that car.

EVER.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

It's probably not lovely design, probably lovely maintenance. Bumpstops/jounce pads are great till you don't inspect or repair them ever and the rubber block comes off the metal backing, then they get noticeably shorter.

Don't forget Uhaul has lower decks and poo poo than a standard boxtruck.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ulfhednar posted:

A few years back, I was going through the Rants / Raves section of my town's Craigslist and someone had posted a picture of their 18-Wheeler after an encounter with a deer on the interstate. I've had the picture saved in my random car pictures folder ever since. They really do explode when something that huge hits them:

http://i.imgur.com/qiI243R.jpg linked in case you don't like blood. Not sure what's going up the hood and windshield though.

If I remember correctly, it was a cow.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/20462595/photo-boise-states-equipment-truck-hit-a-cow

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

What kind of smarmy loving rear end in a top hat owns a expensive car but doesn't get the oil changed?

(Actually come to think of it, probably a lot of expensive car owners do this.)

Have you ever been to San Marino CA?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

"Why make it simple when complicated will do?"

Somehow I think this also fits into this discussion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure this belongs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En47S7LM9zE

:staredog:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Root Bear posted:

Customer drops off her Durango for a wheel alignment, and makes no mention of any unusual noises or handling issues other than a crooked steering wheel.

"You mean you can't fix my wheel alignment? But that's why I came here!"

:bang:

So how hard did the Drift Queen pitch that fucker into something to break a spring like that?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Saga posted:

Shouldn't someone with an HGV licence always know the height of their load? Especially before driving under a very obvious brick railway bridge with the height printed on it in big numbers.

Goon truckers please weigh in (no pun intended).

Yes, we should know, but that doesn't include people being fuckups.

See:

Road crews that patch roads too thick and cause an oops.

Drivers being dumb

New York using a retarded, non standard way to measure poo poo.

Case in point:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6114018,-119.8507659,3a,75y,209.3h,78.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRIxDaPbru4femjLtPCerNA!2e0 I can't remember 100% if this is the case, but one of these is now a 13'11" overpass (in a 14' state) and will also be the main route to get to the new Amazon warehouse.

See anything missing in the picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

There are 3000 cities with a population over 10,000 but under 100,000 population in between those urban areas for which it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated sorting and distribution center. There are only 306 cities in the EU with a population under 100,000.

For a city of 10,000 people, which likely supports a rural area of similar size, it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated sorting and distribution center.

I was an owner/operator with DHL, and my route was 500-550km per day and there was a truck with another shipping company that nearly mirrored my route. More than half of the routes were over 250km per day. In a city of 100,000 with an area likely triple or quadruple that of an equivalent european city, all of the inner city stuff was handled by 5 or 6 trucks, out of a fleet of about 30.

You're the most ignorant poster i've seen with regards to north america. You seem like the type of person who would want to take a day out of your trip to toronto to see montreal and vancouver.

That's why I live in Reno, it's the perfect place to stick a DC because you can hit the whole west coast in a day. My "short" run is 724km one way and the biggest place I hit is 33,000 people at the turnaround, until I hit home base.