Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

"Bird debris" on the runway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I always liked this picture as an example of how powerful turbine engines can be:

Anyone know what those cargo containers weigh?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Vanagoon posted:

^ from working at FedEx I know that type of container is called an LD3, if that helps any. Stacking them with freight is a bitch unless you're three feet tall.

The over-arching term for the air freight containers is "ULD - Unit Load Device". I prefer the AMJ's myself. Nice big box.

Thanks, from a quick Google search it seems the empty weight of an LD3 container is 85 kg or about 187 pounds. After seeing some pretty gory pictures of a mechanic who was unfortunately a lot smaller than the engine intake, I can see how something like that could get lifted into the air.

Edit: beaten, with conflicting information. My source: http://rj-cargo.com/RJCargoFleetULDs/UnitLoadDevicesULDs/LD3ContainerAKEAVE/tabid/117/Default.aspx

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Skyssx posted:

I was surprised that I didn't even get halfway to the bump stops when I completely filled my bed to the rails with wood this summer. We packed it tightly, too. If you're rubbing, you're probably at double your payload rating.

I stalled for about a minute looking for the pun here.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Great video. Seeing the rail twist and bend and jump around like that as the train goes over it really makes you appreciate the immense weight involved. :monocle:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That reminds me: is gamma-butyrolactone a legit wheel cleaner or is it a "wink-nudge 'wheel cleaner'" in the way that jwh-018 is "bonsai food?" Might be worth a shot anyway. \/:shobon:\/

http://buy-gbl.com/wash-wheels-with-gbl.html

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

If you live in a city where the cops have so much time to kill that they will come down to your garage and sit by the parking lot until the owner comes in to take his car away, then I'm kind of astonished. With the possible exception of "Podunk, Arkansas, population 150", I don't think you'll get a swift police response for calling in a guy driving a ticketable car.

Either way, the "You know, legally I can't let you drive that car out of here like this, which means you can pay to have it towed somewhere else to have the work done, or you could just pay us and get your car back" scam is older than time.

Counterpoint: In Arkansas (like much of the south) if your car does what could be vaguely construed as "drive down the road" it's legal! :haw:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ApathyGifted posted:

I got my car inspected a few days ago here in a rural county in North Carolina.

The inspection literally consisted of:
"Turn on your headlights. Now high beams. Left turn signal... now the other one."
Then the guy walked behind the car.
"Brakes. Left turn signal. Now the other one."

Passed.

And it still cost 13 freakin' dollars.

It just occurred to me while writing this post that apparently it doesn't even matter if my wipers work.

I have never had to have a vehicle undergo a state inspection. :banjo:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

grover posted:

What's the advantage of side valves that makes them so common for these small engines?

Simplicity.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A few years back I worked for a realtor doing various odd jobs, mostly a lot of maintenance on various properties up for sale. One thing I realized about walk-behind mowers was that more expensive does not necessarily equal better.

He owned a John Deere JS40 self propelled walk behind that I used a few times. Beefy motor (something like 8 "gross torque" or whatever they're calling it now), self propelled, and built like a brick shithouse. However, the heavy cast iron deck and touchy self propel system made it such a pain in the rear end to use.

Most of the time I used my little ~$150 WalMart generic "Weed-Eater" brand mower. I put a Gator blade on it and with the bag removed it would mulch even tall grass into pieces small enough they were invisible in the yard. I really can't say enough about Gator blades. Way better at mulching than the curvy mulching blades that are more common. http://gatorblade.com/

Edit: This has little to do with horrible mechanical failures, I guess. Just more mowertalk ITT.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

Yeah and come on now, it's advertising.

Off topic a bit, but this is exactly right. I work in a very entry level market research position, and I now completely understand why products are marketed to the lowest common denominator. When you're interrupting people from their activities with the promise of a few bucks for watching a pre-release commercial and giving their opinion on it, guess who bites? It's not the guy with the masters making six figures a year, it's typically the guy who's been making barely above minimum wage doing temp work at the chicken plant. </market research rant> :)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'll bet that was a LOT closer to 40 than 30. He's at fault, I think it's natural for him to underestimate the speed he was doing...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

revmoo posted:

Wow I just looked up the neon crash test. This is 40mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N13KOM1OpFY

This is my e36 from a similar year range (early 90s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8CjyFj1tWo

Airbags would have helped but the passenger compartment stays intact.

Two different tests. The Neon is undergoing a frontal offset collision where only half of the front hits the barrier. The E36 is doing a full-width frontal impact. The offset collision puts a LOT more stress on the body of the car. The full-width frontal impact, on the other hand, causes more G and is used more to test the restraint systems. :eng101: I think I got that right...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Root Bear posted:

Arrived at the shop the other day to find this in the parking lot:

[broken Intrepid]

That happened on my '95 Eagle Vision when I was 16. I was just pulling out of my friend's driveway when it went *pop*. Apparently it's a common failure on the LH cars.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Also, something something about groups of people and it being impossible to shift blame on a group.

What do you mean? Wal-Mart hates unions! :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Speaking of engine desludging: Here's a neat couple of videos that show the process. The uploader channel has a few other interesting videos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They look stock to me. :confused:

Red = high performance.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

nattrass posted:

Not my pic but...

Want mayo with that?

KA24E with a broken chain tensioner?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

Driving in the left land on the interstate at 20mph under the speed limit, holding a video camera in one hand and talking on the phone. AI indeed.

And dicking around on a laptop.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

So when something like that happens how knackered do the crankshaft journals and connecting rod bearings get. I imagine putting vent holes in pistons and possibly bending connecting rods can't be good for the crank.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is that a compressor wheel broken off the shaft and sucked down the intake manifold? :stare:

Kind of like a turbocharger failure but on a bigger scale:

Google find. I think that's a JT9D that chewed something up.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

jamal posted:

Turbine wheel in downpipe.

Had I thought about how a turbo works for two seconds I would have realized that. Plus all the carbon was a clue. :downs:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I love his ":geno: I just spent 45 minutes working on that lockwire and I did it backwards and I have to start over. Now I'm pissed off. :geno:"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

Is it worth watching the whole 20 minute video, or are there just a couple of good parts?

The realization he hosed up is around 6:20 and it's palpable and hilarious. Of course if it had been me I'd probably be throwing poo poo across the garage. :v:

Otherwise it's pretty boring unless you're into lock wiring things I guess.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Free-range Expedition.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Expedition? Or Explorer? I have an Explorer but for some reason I can't tell with the image.

I was thinking Ford SUV but the C pillar looks wrong versus my quick GIS.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

White trucks can't dunk.

I'm so sorry

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 20, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The IIHS small overlap crash test is loving brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYLE55iYj0

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I wish the IIHS used the footwell cam because I'm sure some of these would be horrifying.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ugh. That video. The :can: that starts every time it's posted about whether the frame was rusted out, whether the engine was removed, and it's all a big conspiracy by the IIHS to make old cars look bad etc. etc.

I personally believe the frame was probably serviceable (X frame lol) and there was in fact an engine in the car and the video just shows a worst case scenario and comparison of how far we've come safety wise.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

We should probably find a frame-off restored model to retest just to be sure.

The butthurt would be amazing. :yotj:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Alternator chat: Who decided water cooled alternators were a good idea? I know cars have more and more electronics on them these days but is a beefy fan really not enough?

Also whatever happened to external fans on alternators? I figure you'd want as much cooling as you can get and one internally and one externally would pull more air than just an internal fan but I don't design alternators for a reason.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The best part is when he still counter steers. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

"Rebuilt 20k miles ago"*

*By my brother Cletus for a case of Bud Ice.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

buttcrackmenace posted:

e2: My old art teacher would have given me poo poo about the underlying anatomy of this photo. One hand holds the ez-out, the other gestures triumphantly.
With which remaining appendage is the photographer supposed to have operated the camera?

Google Glass :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

This was in the electrical A/T thread, but this is quite the mechanical failure for the gearheads here:

Overhead Crane Failure

Until recently I didn't realize that purely industrial gas turbines were so large. I guess when it's not flying and pure power at any weight is the goal things get massive. 75 tons of rotating mass though? :catstare:

That compression ratio. :monocle:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Used Sunlight sales posted:

What's that from? any more info?

Afraid not, just a random GIS result for "heavy duty gas turbine."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I saw the Volkswagen emblem and laughed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

I get to post this again! 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity with a broken dogbone mount. Supposed to be a temporary fix, ended up being permanent.

Every time I get worried about deferred maintenance on my own car I need to remember that things like this somehow work for years. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fucknag posted:

I call this one gently caress GM. Can you find the battery?

It's under the windshield washer fluid reservoir, isn't it? What car?