Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

When you turn the wheel and it makes a funny noise, don't ignore it for two months.

This is before I started disassembling it.

Dave Inc. posted:

Oh god I never want to be close to the target of one of these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU32sKRB_uw&feature=related

From awesome to terror in 30 seconds.
I really want to hear an A-10 firing in person. It's like the tripods from the remake of War of the Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I remember, from my unfortunate time as a lube tech, the old Mercedes-Benz diesel engines had a small lever next to the intake manifold that had "STOP" printed on it. I can't find a picture, but I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Sockington posted:

The PCV has to be changed you say? (250k MX6 V6)

Nothing 6 cans of Seafoam won't fix.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

There's not really a good thread to post this in, so it goes here. A bit of rust came off when I changed my pads and rotors.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rocket_350 posted:

How did I miss hearing about that? That's epic. There is a bunch of video of this as it happened on Youtube. The first one is a compilation of CCTV footage, it even shows a wall of water engulfing a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dp8Sdw5rY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cHMS_7oqvI&feature=related
Seeing the guy run up to the gate while the driver was trying to leave reassures me that I'm not the only idiot whose first reaction to a disaster I can't possibly do anything about is to grab a camera and run toward it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

el topo posted:

Those things are probably there to route the air a certain way so as to maximize cooling. A bit like how a computer runs cooler if you keep the case closed.
My old boss brought his home computer into work and drilled 4 jagged 1" holes in the side one day. I asked him why he did it, and he told me "Why do you think? For more airflow." After determining that the computer had not been overheating or showing any signs of performance loss, I explained that Dell designed it for optimal airflow to the parts, hence all the plastic shrouds in there. I checked it out to discover that it did, indeed, improve airflow, but only between the case fans and holes in the sides. I handed him a roll of gaffer's tape and walked away shaking my head.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, what are the chances of that happening? It looks like it brought some hot engine oil along with it, judging from how it splashed against the drywall as it ruptured through the house.

What would you even change on the engine to withstand something like that? That's gotta be a shitload of force to move a piston that weighs almost 100lb that far.

Am I right in assuming it was the cause of poor maintenance? Those bolts should have been checked and retorqued to make sure the thread wasn't wearing on them.

edit: Man, I wonder what it sounded like to whoever was inside the house at the time.
Probably like a train wreck :rimshot:

Leperflesh posted:

So Hyundai isn't at fault here. Possibly halliburton is, or BP, or some other contractor, or (most likely) a combination of factors that include operational error, poor planning, and physical failure of equipment.
BP's lobbying was critical to defeating the law that would have required the blowout preventer to have a backup remote acoustic trigger. Norway and Brazil require them, but another few hundred thousand dollars on top of the hundreds of millions it costs to build an oil rig would cripple oil companies in the US, according to the oil industry.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fermunky posted:

My buddy sent this to me. Taken out of another friend's car that was "making a funny noise".

I've heard that sound before. It's really not all that funny.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ola posted:

post youtubes of spectacular mechanical successses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=364dzVsBs2o
Someone's wife is going to be pissed about the tomato plants.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

peepsalot posted:

If it was a pothole, especially a newly formed one, check and see if local law holds the town/city accountable for damage caused.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

engine flush = ATF and acetone. poo poo is BEAUTIFUL
When I worked at an oil change shop, when we did our own cars we would "ghetto flush" our engines with one quart of 10w30 then fill to capacity with ATF, idle for 5 minutes. Worked every bit as well as the "ultimate engine cleaning" service we charged $60 for.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

That can't be good for an engine.
ATF is about 20 weight and loaded with detergents. I wouldn't put any load on the engine and I wouldn't put it in a turbo engine, but it's safe.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Huggable Bear King posted:

This shredder is less cool but the video is all murdered out so it's worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY11NZsCh0w
I can't be the only one who cringed repeatedly as the guy brought his hand within inches of the shredder.

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, does anyone know of any video of like the industrial sized ones where a person falls into it or something? I'm morbidly curious. Also curious to see if you put your hand into that little one from the video how far it'd pull your arm into it.
They're used pretty frequently to shred dead diseased livestock to make incineration easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIkHKA9nh-Q

If you Google "cow shredder" there are videos of whole cows being thrown in (they're dead, if you get the version with the mooing it's an old 4chan troll)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Original rotors tend to be held on with retaining screws, which always freeze up. Usually, you can whack the rotor with a sledgehammer and pop them right off, but the dust shield behind the rotors on a 2004 C240 make that an impossible angle without a lift. I tried to drill it out and ended up with one mechanical failure wrapped in another.