Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Vanagoon posted:

I don't mean to be an rear end in a top hat, honestly!, but who was it in that other thread that insisted that the engine block in his/someone he knew's car was bent?

They don't bend, they break. We have to show this guy that thread.

I can -not- remember which thread it was. These photos need to be shown to that person, stat!

edit: for huge post. make smaller.

also, 289/302's love to split like that under a fair bit of horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Back on topic... I was wondering why my idler pulley was making a squealing sound. I think I figured out why now:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Glynis27 posted:

Hmm, I've had an idler pulley making noise for a few years. It whines so badly that 2 people have asked if my car is supercharged when I start the car. Maybe I should finally get around to replacing that pulley.

I had the same thing happen to me. Someone asked me how much "boost I was pushin'" when I started the truck up one day. Needless to say, the belt jumped off on me yesterday when I started it up. Took a look and saw the pulley just wobbling around.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

And content:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Let's Get Geeky About Batteries.

(not mine)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Can we post horrible electric failures? Because I think I found out why my CD player wasn't working right.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's more embarrassing when it happens at the drag-strip on your burnout :( The outer ring rolled down the track, and I imagined it was saying "I just want to be free".

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
That's one hell of a custom grind.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'll bet it's a locking lug nut and they lost the key.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Don't forget Lamborghini's $50,000 optional "matching garage decor" package. It looks great.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Speaking of car fires, evidently Chevrolet's Camaro is prone to becoming, how should I say it, crispy.

http://youtu.be/b70jXed3DWo?t=1m16s

Skipped the boring parts for you.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tusen Takk posted:

I would imagine that a Fisker kills way more trees when they blow up than a normal car :v:

It's ok because they'll recycle them into the dash of the next ones.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

99 Cherokee in the shop right now, coworker thought it was a starter failure based off their description of the symptoms and how it would just click. Turns out the 4.0 is siezed.

Woops.

Please tell me it's because the owner decided to run it on sand instead of oil.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Until everyone drives those, there's always gonna be danger out there. I imagine these to be filled with a fat-like substance. When you grab the door handle, it's like squeezing a loosely-stuffed sausage.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Pretty sure this is about 50-75 pages back, but worth showing again:

The Dodge on the left rolled in a ditch once. The Raptor on the right rolled in the same ditch 3-4 times before stopping.

Story

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Dizman posted:

I think it'd probably sound something like a grenade going off, followed by metal fragments pinging everything inside the engine bay at 5200 rpm. Centrifugal force is a bitch.

I'm talking to the guy via PM on that message board. Apparently he's finding metal fragments up in his dash. He's luck as gently caress that it didn't go through his feet. I really, REALLY want a scatter shield now. Unfortunately no one makes them for C5 Corvettes D:

I'm pretty sure Lakewood makes one for the C5.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CommieGIR posted:

Mine never break :smugbert:

You're either the luckiest person alive or you're lying.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CommieGIR posted:

This is the second or third time I have, check the Audi build thread to see me pull drive line Allen bolts with an easy out FROM AN ANGLE :catstare:

I center tapped those broken bolts by hand too, scared the hell out of me I was worried about drilling into the threads.

Nope. All clear.

That's clearly a photoshop. No human being in existence has ever successfully used an easy out.

*edit*

my GTI was written off for this little number:

So I don't see why that one wouldn't be. Of course mine also had a hole in the passenger floor pan from the wheel being pushed back like that. It was big enough to stick your head through.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It just got real cold in here. :golfclap:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Don't tell anyone but AFR, Edelbrock, and others make performance plastic intake manifolds as well.

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Stolen shamelessly from PYF

Holy hell. Pissed off ex?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Raw_Beef posted:

I think this is the only OEM external gauge ever. I could be totally wrong. No idea why it didnt catch on :rolleyes:

It was/is a drag thing. If you've got your mint Chevelle, you don't want to hack up the dash or side pillar for gauges, so you tuck them in the cowl and in front of the windshield. It began way before the day of multi-readout digital display EL lit color changing LED screen gauges of today. It's still pretty common with muscle car enthusiasts.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
nevermind.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

sharkytm posted:

You four wheeling types are so cute. 140,000 pounds from a wrecker. :glomp:

Try tug boats and barges. Three inch nylon tow line that starts smoking and squealing under 3000 horsepower plus. There are plenty of instances of deck hands losing legs when the tow line parts. A guy got killed off Nantucket a decade ago when he got hit in the chest with a piece of line that had parted.

You're funny. Try aircraft carrier arresting gear.

My dad was (un)lucky enough to watch a guy get his leg taken clean off after one snapped during a plane landing. That wire can and will maim, destroy, and kill anything in its' path when it snaps.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

sharkytm posted:

http://tugboatsonline.com/boat_yard/wire_boats/cabletowing.htm
Your wire looks smaller, but under higher tension. However, its also maintanined, and not subject to dunking in sea water its entire life (yes, I know waves spray the deck of a carrier). Either one is going to slice and dice.

However, a steel cable from a 7000# truck yanking a 5000# truck out of the mud... not likely to slice through a person. It could still kill you for sure, but its not likely to cut you in half. Not enough mass or force.

Oh, and I hosed up on the size of the tow line. It is commonly as large as 12"

I find tugboats to be pretty awesome. I've watched a few episodes of that show "Great Lake Warriors" and it's really impressive to see just how strong those boats really are.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

The only time that ever happens is when poo poo can't get any worse that day.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Florida seems to be Mecca for those douchebags too.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Godholio posted:

Is it worth watching the whole 20 minute video, or are there just a couple of good parts?

It's basically a guy just taking a long time to try & run the lockwire. His biggest problem was he wasn't using math & science when he did it. instead of trying to pull the wire through from the top like that, he should've coiled it around the inside a few times. The angle of the wire wouldn't have been such a problem for him when he was pulling it through the bolts and he could have done it in half the time. Also, before putting them down in there, he shoulda made sure the holes were lined up instead of just going blind.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Yeah, y'all are right; there would've been no way to perfectly line them up. That's why Sharpies were made :)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

WTF? You can't just post this with no info.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Horrible structural idea!

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Someone should have told that guy the first step in fixing the 6.0 involves buying a gallon of gas and a pack of matches.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CommieGIR posted:

I did it again. :tinfoil:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 10, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Buddy of mine who works on train engines sent me a new paperweight that arrived today. Weighs around 20 lbs.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Sorry I left y'all hanging. It's from a V16 rated at 4,400 h.p. & 20,000 ft/lbs. torque. This piece broke off a rod and got mangled in the engine. Here's how it looks normally:

Those pink things are urinal cakes for a size comparison. The piece I have is the last 7-8" that's pointing in the air.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

That's the most :black101: way I've seen of cleaning a car part.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

PainterofCrap posted:

Someone substituted high-heat Permatex for a head gasket?

...used Permatex as head gasket cement?

I've actually seen the Permatex headgasket done before. Kid who thought he knew his poo poo about cars decided he wanted to get into the business of flipping cars for profit. Well, he bought a car with a busted headgasket and just slathered about two tubes of black permatex (high temp! :downs:) in place of a headgasket. Called me over to figure out why it was running so hot. Genius kid, that one.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
When I had my RX-7, I was about 50 miles from my house when, after gently hitting my brakes to slow down a little, the front right caliper decided to clamp down on the rotor and not let go. Since I had left my toolbox at home, all I had was a screwdriver, a 4 way, and a pair of pliers. I was lucky enough to have wheels that were pretty open-faced, so I was able to use the screwdriver and 4 way to beat the caliper & pad enough to release its' grip on the rotor. I spent the next 2 1/2 hours driving at 25 mph with my cautions on and trying not to use the brakes if at all possible. Every time I had to use the brakes, I ended up pulling over and beating the hell out of the caliper. Got home & replaced the caliper. Evidently, the caliper had somehow created a notch in the sliding pins. When I would hit the brakes, the small notch was enough to lock the caliper in place.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I think I found out my P0141 problem...

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

EightBit posted:

The internals of that O2 sensor are missing if you look carefully (it shouldn't be see-through in the perforated cylinder). Edit: it's not see-through but holy gently caress it's powdery white from a massive amount of heat. How do you have an engine left if it ran that lean?

The idle actually dropped about 350-400 rpm after I changed that out, if that tells you anything. The inside is toast, but the outside got bent from the previous owner trying to imitate a Top Gear stunt or something. It was bent even worse than that. Had to take a pair of pliers and bend it back enough to fit in the O2 socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I'll attest to that. I have this one for my camera gear on the go. Expensive, but totally worth it if you need to make sure what's inside stays safe.