Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Be careful; those things can be dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

EightBit posted:

It's not from you purchasing them, obviously. How many goons have attempted his devilish feats and failed?

I've broken an EZ-out in an engine block before. Waterpump on a 302 :argh:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Breaking up dead chat for a moment,

"I clipped a curb'

"

And the grand total for repairs came to...

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's good to see Lamborghini is going back to their roots.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

some texas redneck posted:

Go pop the hood on a late model Corolla sometime. Or anything with an Ecotec.

I wasn't a fan of the exhaust being against the firewall at first, but it seems like the engine bay stays a lot cooler. And the radiator doesn't get heat soaked by the exhaust when you sit in traffic/turn off the car.

e: to contribute.. not quite a mechanical failure, more like a shadetree failure. :stare:

Ya know, it's pictures like these that make me wonder. The person who did that was competent enough to understand compressing the spring, but not the fact that Autozone rents out spring compressors. I mean, seriously.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
gently caress THAT. Timing chain change? Nope. Buy a new car.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Motronic posted:

Skip the baking soda and go find the biggest vacuum you can get your hands on. Probably one of those things that takes quarters at the DIY wash places. Your carpet padding is soaked, and it's unlikely to ever dry properly without pulling the seats and carpets, but you can at least try to get as much out as possible if you aren't going to pull it.

I'm going to be that if you vacuum this/dehumidify/whatever that you'll still be able to feel wet carpet if you push down on it. If that's the amount of water you have there's just no really good way of getting that stuff out before it turns moldy other than pulling it.

This. I made the same mistake as you did, sinistarded, and my car was left in a downpour that lasted a good 30 minutes. The only way to make everything dry properly is pulling it all out and letting it sun dry. Took a few hours; but I'd rather deal with a few hours work than a few months of moldy funky smell. There's not enough tree air fresheners in the world to cover that smell. Especially if you've ever had an animal in your car.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

:thejoke:

Ford 4.6s blow plugs out on a routine, almost timed, basis.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

MrYenko posted:

Who the hell drives a plastic fantastic camaro and wears a three piece suit?

2nd gens were not plastic, mister :mad:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Touchè, good sir.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am most familiar with two-stroke engines, so I have to ask....are there no ring pins in the pistons (on automotive 4-strokes) that just about lock the ring into one angular position?
I suppose there is no need without lots of ports to contend with, as in 2-strokes.

Automotive piston rings are just gapped and then compressed when the piston is put into the block.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

chrisgt posted:

It's important to assemble an engine with the rings positioned a certain way so it builds up compression and starts for the first time. Then as it breaks in things can move around.

Correct. Rings do move on their own, but during initial break-in, the ring gaps are usually positioned like in the diagram to avoid all the gaps lining up. For anyone who cares, here's a chart:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I've always wondered what happens if you put jello mix in there.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Farmdizzle posted:

Yeah, that one is, just, wow. The wiki doesn't really do much to give you a sense of scale, but this set of photos in the external links is mind-boggling.

The surveillance camera footage is pretty :stare:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It happened again...

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

FatCow posted:

It is chunks of metal and plastic bolted together dude. No need to have a crisis over it.

And it's not like it's an exclusive limited-edition run or some other rare car. It's more than likely a base C7; which, if you're anywhere in America, I can guarantee you'll see more than your fair share soon :) Besides, after everything is done and production units are made, that car was headed to be scrapped anyways.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I wanna see it pop.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Acetylene leak. Luckily no one was harmed.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Was he carrying a cylinder in the back or something?

Yup. It had a tiny leak that filled the truck with fumes, and when the owner used their keyfob to unlock the truck, it was like detonating a bomb.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Das Volk posted:

What kind of shitheap has a floorpan that weak? Unless he managed to unload the jack really fast or something I just can't see how that isn't the mfr cutting corners.

When you have the weight of the car pressing on a tiny spot like the top of a jack-stand under a thin surface like a floorboard, something's gonna give. And it ain't gonna be the jack-stand.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Slavvy posted:

Should've listened to my father.

How to replace heater core:

Step 1) Locate heater core behind dash panel.

Step 2) Purchase five gallons gasoline.

Step 3) Pour gasoline over and inside vehicle.

Step 4) Proceed to burn vehicle. Be careful doing this, as gasoline is a highly flammable liquid.

Step 5) Use insurance check to purchase new heater core, with new vehicle included.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Friends' pressure plate exploded. Moral of the story: Don't use cheap parts if you're gonna race it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powershift posted:

I can only imagine this is the result of "hold my beer and watch this"

How does something like that happen?

Another friend blew his poo poo up:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Yadda yadda yadda BROKEN STUFF:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Terrible Robot posted:

:drat:

I'm sure that was a pants-making GBS threads couple of seconds.

Subaru? What's left of the bell-housing looks vaguely familiar...

Honda. Follow-up to the kid who shattered his flywheel I posted about earlier.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I was wondering why a bunch of fire department trucks and cops were sitting around there. I thought someone had broken in or there was a fire I didn't see.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The snow storm that blew through a week ago caused some seriously lovely drivers. They couldn't salt the roads because it was pouring rain, and then it pretty much instantly froze with a good 1 1/2-2" of ice on the road. This was at the gas station in front of the Corvette Museum.

The young guy driving looked so upset :(

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
This thread... :suspense:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Not too sure, but I don't think so. They still sell lead additives though.

*e* Normal leaded gas anyways.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Sagebrush posted:

What the hell kind of situation makes a piston look like it's been attacked with a ball-peen hammer? More specifically than "catastrophic failure of the everything", I mean.

Valve drops or some other metal object gets in there. With the piston moving as fast as it does, it only takes a few seconds for something like that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

One of the heading machines I run decided to make a sound similar to a weasel stuck in a meat grinder, tail first. After shutting it off and powering it down, I submit a maintenance request for it to be fixed. 24 hours later and this is the result. Turns out the shaft that normally rides in the middle of the bearing decided to say "gently caress it" and ride the surface instead.