Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Looks like I need a new camshaft. I can probably reuse the bearing right? :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Good eye, this is an F22B2 with 197k miles on it. I was really looking forward to the 200k rollover, but it was not to be.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Tomarse posted:

I'm assuming from the wear also showing on the rocker arms round it this is all due to a blocked oilway?

That was my assumption also. There also seemed to be wear starting on the other end, so it's possible that the oil pump wasn't generating enough pressure to really ensure oil flow.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My friend got a call from his mom saying that on her drive home from work, her Infiniti SUV started "handling funny" He had her take a look and send him a picture, so he got this, with her asking if it was ok to drive on for a bit or not, at which point he threw his tools in his car, took the rest of the day off, and zoomed down a few hours to her house to replace her control arms.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Jesus. Do you live in Montreal? What does the body look like?

Beach Bum posted:

:f5h::stonk:

I want to see the rest of the car and control arms. Also yeah, how old is that thing? It can't be all THAT old!

Frinkahedron posted:

:stonk:

Does she work at a slushy salt mine?

G-Mach posted:

HOLY poo poo! :psyboom:

How old is the car?

It's only a 2003 or so, in Mass maybe an hour outside of Boston. Car has like 230,000 miles on it and is in otherwise great shape, although it burns a bit of oil now. The upper control arms are even aluminum so they're perfectly fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Slavvy posted:

This is a pretty common problem on that engine, usually caused by:

jamal posted:

The crank shaft timing sproket on those is held in place by friction only. No keyway.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which car does it - I've seen neglected beaters run up 300kkm no problems, and I've seen owned-by-seniors pampered garage queens annihilate themselves for no reason.

Is this the case for the turbo motor in the speed3/6 too?

Edit: at least it has a chain so I'll probably never need to touch it right? :ohdear:

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 9, 2015