Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a joke about how many pickup truck owners will just throw another 500lb of crap in the bed of their truck that's already got 2000lb in it and is barely rated for that.

From experience, it makes for some very scary driving.

Reminds me of that idiot who decided to try to tow a trailer with a ridiculously-sized tree stump loaded too far forward with a 1/2 ton truck. It bent the frame. Can't find any links to it..my google-fu is weak tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

blambert posted:

Take one russian hydroelectric powerplant, badly maintain it for years then overrun a turbine trying to compensate for the ones that are inop and... tada.

Reminds me of Chernobyl. One reactor was working way too hard then ppffttt

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

incredibull posted:

OK this is scheduled maintenance and not routine failure, but not often do you get to see impellers this large. Mind you, this is from a "small" slow-speed marine diesel.

Not being familiar with .5 ton turbo impellers, what is the scheduled maintenance that this will see? Cleaning?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

el topo posted:

That's quite a "never give up, never think things through" attitude... I must say, though, I'm surprised at how much that engine costs.

VR6 (I am assuming) + absurd labor fees. The 24v VR6 is notorious for having a brittle oil pan.

The 24v VR6 in my old GTI sheered ALL the teeth off one of the upper timing gears last year. Of course this threw off timing, though luckily it was when I was starting the motor, so it never had a chance to cause internal damage. Diagnosis, timing chain + gears replacement, oil pump replacement + seals = $4700. This was on a car worth $10,000 on a good day. Extraordinarily expensive motors to service, and my local dealer only had one technician who was certified to service them.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Was that asphalt hot? I had no clue asphalt like that could fail so easily.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Don't have a clue how this happened. The white stuff draining from my clutch is oil/water mix.

I never rode in the rain last year, so it must have just been condensation from all the short trips to work. Pretty crazy.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

netwerk23 posted:

I have a great corded Dremel for 10+ years and one day it just refused to turn on anymore. I took it apart and everything seemed ok, I even bypassed the on/off/speed switch but that failed too.

In a serious pinch I bought a $10 rotary tool from Harbor Freight. It was a mistake. It doesn't have enough speed to cut anything, even balsa wood, and has so little torque I can stop the disc rotating at full speed by just pinching it with my fingers. Huge mistake, but a cheap one.

For christmas I got the Lithium-battery Dremel and it's been really great. I wish I had a second battery sometimes, but that's rare. At least the Harbor Freight one came with a shitton of cutoff discs that work just fine on the real tool.

While I would love a cordless unit, my $30 dremel-type-thing is a Craftsman model. Love it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

jamal posted:

that could actually be worse. the fact that the upper spring perch is wedged against the strut tower means that those long bolts aren't load bearing, and only see the forces generated by the damper, which are not as high or abrupt.

Theoretically, it should work fairly well. It's just hideous/scary-looking. A solid spacer would be ideal.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

General_Failure posted:

What am I missing here? Could you please step me through why that fine is real-estate grade scary?

Owning/driving cars in Denmark is outrageously expensive. Most of their cost is in taxes. Similar reason why their gas is $10/gallon right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Someone on another board I admin posted this today:

"So me and a buddy just loaded a V6 Camaro with a 150 shot of nitrous"

Rod #6 wasn't terribly excited about the whole ordeal.