Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FatCow posted:

Good for mythbusters, I've seen plenty of burnouts leave flaming piles of rubber in their wake.
Actual fire coming out of the rubber or smoke?

Geoj posted:

I'd tend to agree with this, mainly because they have to restrict what they show from a legal standpoint. If they say "yeah if you drop your clutch at 5000 RPMs you'll set your tires on fire" guess who is going to get sued when some dumbass goes out and does what he just saw on TV and ends up setting his car on fire.
Have you seen the poo poo they do on Mythbusters? Getting sued because of what a viewer might do doesn't seem to be a big concern. Dropping the clutch @ 6000RPM (with the tires submerged in gasoline) would be amongst the boring poo poo they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Alereon posted:

Potentially stupid question, but why don't engines have some sort of thermal protection that shuts them down before they get hot enough to catch on fire or sustain damage? I mean clearly there's a temp sensor since an overheat light comes on, why doesn't it just shut off?

My guess is it wasn't the engine itself that overheated, it was something close to the engine that overheated due to lack of airflow and revving the piss out of it for an hour.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Am I a bad person for wishing the car completely went up? :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Before buying a car people should have to study kinetic and static friction. When there is no relative motion between two objects there is static friction. Static friction rises to meet force until it hits its max value (weight*grav*μs) then it drops incredibly fast and flat-lines at its kinetic friction (weight*grav*μk).

Rubber on concrete has roughly a 1.0μs and a 0.8μk whereas rubber on ice is closer to 0.15μk (can't find decent rubber-ice μs values.) The drop off for a slipping tire on ice is massive compared to concrete.

Years and years ago, I worked part time at a auto parts store. I had a guy come in and he wanted an emergency tow strap for his little poo poo box. Honda or something. Note he wanted it to do an illegal tow (IE: Just moving it) from his buddies place to his or something.. not to actually recover the car stuck in a snow drift or anything.

Anyhow, the thing was rated for 4000lbs breaking strength or something like

:2bong: MAN! It'll break for sure! This is a piece of poo poo! You shouldn't tow a motorcycle with it!

:) Well, I'm not going to say it isn't a piece of poo poo (I like rope/chain combo personally) but I'm sure it'll work for you. What are you moving with it?

:2bong: My Accord (or whatever)

:) Is it stuck?

:2bong: No! But this isn't enough safety factor

:) Um, you do realize you're not lifting the car. You're just pulling it

:2bong: :confused:

:) I mean, you understand you don't need 3000lbs of force to move your car. You can push it yourself right?

:2bong: Yeah

:) There you go.

:2bong: :confused:

:( nevermind

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Exploding Alpha flywheel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazZTont8v8

I don't know what it is but the more I watch it, the harder I laugh.

I just went "HOLY poo poo" out loud and I was expecting it!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

timma85 posted:

This is more like it. Clutch blows up. Fire, Sparks, Smoke! It's got everything for a proper explosion.

Jesus christ. I've often wondered what that would look like if it happened to a dragster. Now I know.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wombot posted:

I was told by an instructor in the automotive program at a tech college (who'd been instructing for 15 years, mind) that you should never ever touch the brake pads with your bare fingers because the oils will cause the pad material to blister and expand outwards under heat. Sort of like why you don't want to touch headlamp/high-wattage lightbulbs.

I'm pretty skeptical of that and I don't think that's a fair analogy. Any miniscule human oils on the surface pad would be worn off the first time you touch the brakes. With a headlight bulb that remains on the glass.

Practically, most of us that have installed pads have not done so in a super clean environment using gloves at all times handling them. I personally haven't had any funny wear/early failures that I could even remotely equate to touching them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Skyssx posted:

I didn't know Mazda made trailers!

I see this almost daily in the summer.
The bearing and PT shop I used to work at made me absolutely paranoid to ever rent a U-Haul.

Getting after hours emergency calls on a Sunday from some poor bastard usually moving to Alaska because their wheel bearings suffered catastrophic failure has made me more than a little jaded of their maintenance periods, or lack of.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cakefool posted:

Also, there is no telemetry, it's ballistics.
It's also almost certainly not a belt coming out of a furnace, but a chain conveyor of some sort.

Terminology seems to be all over which likely makes it fiction, but picturing it in my head is still somewhat humorous.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

drat. That's tragic. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got a call from a good client of mine the other day.

:phone: Hey Slidebite! Mind dropping by the plant? We've got a parallel shaft reducer that's getting a little noisy, I'd like you to take a look at it.
:) No problem. Be there in a few hours

(2 hours later,)

:phone: Yeah, uh, we'll just send it to you. It started sounding pretty bad so we're putting the spare in. See what you can do to replace it or rebuild it for me, K? Thanks. :love:
:) Love to, fire it over.

Next day, a pallet arrives in my warehouse.

Oh, yeah, there's your problem.

Ooooooooh

For reference, at one time this was a spherical roller bearing and looked like this

This is around a circa 1970 gearbox and while I can indeed get a new one, it's about a $60K touch for this exact unit which is stupid. I can put in something a little more modern including an integral motor for about half that which would also get rid of the V-belt input.

At this point, I'm hoping for the clients sake the first stage of reduction is salvageable and we can get away with just the secondary gears and hopefully reman it for <$10K but I am really not optimistic they're relatively unscathed. The amount of material in the sump was something to see, even though it was already drained.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 12, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went out for dinner with the folks last night and drove their 1998 Accord. I swore to god that thing had no headlights at all and told dad to come by our place today to check the car out. He didn't think there was a problem because "whenever they change the oil they check the lights" :v:

Pics to follow (they are actually in my garage trash but I should pull them) but the 9005 and 9006 bulbs were original from 1998 when they moved to Belize and drove the Accord there and back, several times since. They still worked (sorta) but had a definite black tinge to them and a couple had a couple of melted glass bulges.

I can picture the Honda oil guy saying "OK, turn on your lights" and seeing something resembling "light" so A-OK. Check. I was kind of surprised they weren't blown.

It's got some fresh Walmart Sylvania Specials in them right now so while not exactly high-end, they'll look like awesome HIDZ to the folks I'm sure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is a plain Jane universal joint, do not confuse with a c v joint.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ChewedFood posted:

Nevermind, I still don't understand. Do the individual ends pivot? How does it deal with angles?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint

They are needle bearings and fit into yokes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

haha

It's true.

U joints are generally cheap enough, it's the labor that kills you if you have to pay someone for it. I'm sure they charge extra for each F-bomb they know they'll throw.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Haha :wtc:

My guess is minivan.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Proof that dodge electrical is so lovely it can cause blowouts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Why?

:psyduck:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fart Pipe posted:

Also replaced the catalytic converter at a little over 12k miles and then found out like a week later that there was a recall for it and I could have gotten it done for free. poo poo was like $400 too since its part of the y-pipe.
I've known a couple people that paid for repairs only to have them later covered by a recall and both were able to get some (but maybe not all) reimbursement.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coincidentally, friend of mine emailed me this today. He had a surprise when he popped the head off their Jetta.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is that the remains of a cotter pin?

Not as impressive as a bolt, but yes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

um excuse me posted:

Oh god. As someone that works with engineering on jet engine design and testing I can tell you that even the big players in the business are only starting to understand some of the ways metallurgy performs under the conditions you find in jet engines. Like, we figured out something new the other week that effects nearly every jet engine made since the 80s. The Chinese don't know any of this yet. That's scary.
One thing China is striding ahead of the rest of the world is state sponsored industrial espionage. They'll be years ahead of where they should be in no time! :buddy:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

There's also a whole bunch of poo poo on amazon.com they won't ship to canada to protect loving crooks on amazon.ca

Being 45 minutes from my US box has its perks :smuggo:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

other than that Buick/Opel with the hidden secret double set of tail lights inside the trunk.
OK so I am curious now, what is that?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So what is the deal with the hidden tail lights? :confused:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When I was in Hawaii last month my rental in Kona was a 200 and it was absolutely abysmal in so many ways. Quality, performance, ergonomics, pretty much everything except fuel economy which I will say was reasonable. The Malibu I had on Maui immediately after was literally 3x the car. I can't imagine how someone could buy a 200 if they just test drove basically anything else in the same class.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Alberta used to have milk in bags but then something happened. We also had home milk delivery and fake bricks on the outside of our homes in which to place money for the milk deliveryman and in which he would place the milk to insulate it against the cold.

:bahgawd:

That's old even for me. I remember grandpa and grandma having milk delivery and how they left tokens for the delivery man. He had a full dairy price list in tokens, like 1l of milk 2 tokens, cottage cheese 3, chocolate milk 2, etc. I thought that would be the coolest job ever when I was 5 years old.

I am thinking that disappeared in the early 80s?

I can't remember the last time I saw milk bags. I will keep an eye out next time I go shopping to see if they are even available here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

Fix lovely fasteners with this one weird old Canadian trick
For some reason my #2 Robertson bits always seem to grow legs and disappear. :iiam:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This one only had about 2000 or so miles on it. Timkin, even.

That's the first and last time I trade beer for a friend to press in a new bearing.
Improper installation, be it technique or general handling, account for the vast majority of premature bearing failures in my experience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Until I got the Porsche, I don't think I ever used an odd number socket on any of my Japanese cars since I was a kid, with the exception of 17mm and 19mm. 8, 10, 12, 14 probably were 90% of the fasteners. Now I run into 13 and 15 very commonly and have to actually think about it grabbing a socket/wrench now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

No, princess auto is our harbour freight.

Every red blooded canadian has memories of going in there as a kid and going straight to the surplus section to see what kind of wacky chinese poo poo fell off the truck.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/b/surplus/surplus/N-t2zgtp

As a kid? Yeah. Umm, as a kid. Of course. Adults would never do that. :ninja:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

There appear to be boots you can buy to cover rod ends.

http://www.mooreparts.com/fk-dust-boots-seals/

And yeah, I have seen little metal shields around boots, for heat and rock protection. We made some for the ball joints on the time attack car because the heat from the brakes tends to melt boots:

You can actually see a pending horrible mechanical failure in this picture

My eye is on the crack at 12 o'clock just above the cv boot. Upper control arm?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

rdb posted:

The 7pm on a Sunday part is why I want my own tire machines. I hate having to take a half day to sit around a tire shop only to pay markup on a half rear end install and balance job.

All I really need now is my own balancer. I think my manual changer will handle the car tires I have.

I move into my new house with a triple garage end of next week. I swear to god, if there is still room after I get all my poo poo in there I'm going to keep my eyes open for some tire mounting/balancing equipment.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BloodBag posted:

I just got a harbor fright impact driver with a NiCad battery. NiCad was the poo poo for RC cars before NiMh came out. drat I'm getting old.
We were looking for a small portable vacuum (like a dustbuster) for the house and was surprised to find most were NiCad. Ended up with a Lion for about $5 more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

That's the one that's up somewhere in the middle of the car, right?

edit: Yep, that's the one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDsymYS6X0

Holy poo poo that's dumb.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh for sure, but I'm imagining some soccer mom with a flat in the middle of nowhere at night totally confused with their spare.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was in a tire shop a few months ago and the guy in front of me had a munitions-grade breakdown when he was told that tires on an AWD X3 need to be replaced in sets.
When I was a teenager I worked at a tire shop and that was an almost everyday occurrence. I could understand their questioning if they thought the tread wear if the other tires were still "pretty good" - but we often had people trying to outright change tire sizes to save a few bucks. Most were convinced we were just trying to gently caress them over.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The crap posts reminded me of something my mom told me, not sure if she was there firsthand or heard from a friend. Anyhow she (or her friend) were at a salon getting their hair done when some middle aged women came tearing in and asked to use the bathroom. Salon lady said sure and motioned to the door in the back of the salon. 10-15 minutes later, lady comes out just saying "I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry" and leaves $20 on the counter and books it out the door. Salon lady goes WTF and heads into the crapper.

poo poo and blood everywhere.

EVERYWHERE.

Floor, toilet seat, side of toilet, back of toilet, walls, sinks, loving everywhere. :cry:

Here is a photo I took on the job yesterday. I would not expect everyone to get it, but what's wrong with this picture and why?

e: Also, WTF? Chris Cornell? Didn't see that coming. :(

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 18, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrYenko posted:

Do you find yourself able to NOT making drilling jokes when you hit on girls?
No sure I get it... but I'm dense. :/

Equipment is a pulp press.

honda whisperer posted:

Ground through a bearing will weld the balls to the race? Possible grease fire too?
Yeah.

Even if it doesn't weld the elements (spherical bearing in the pillow block) it's an express way to fluting the bearing which will lead to premature failure. I was walking by and pointed it out to the maintenance manager "Uh, hey, notice that?" and his eyes rolled back in his head, a look of despair on his face and "yeah, price me a out a new bearing OK?" :(

BloodBag posted:

Exhibit A of why you never put any part of yourself under a suspended load.
Holy poo poo no kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is that grease? It sort of looks like it but you don't usually see zerks on motors that small. Either way, that kind of thing is usually a result of someone absolutely greasing the everloving gently caress out of the bearings; which is also why sealed bearings are better than greaseable bearings for most of applications.