Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ola posted:

post youtubes of spectacular mechanical successses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=364dzVsBs2o

I laughed really really really hard at this. My wife was nonplussed. I think she was thinking what a waste of a machine that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sponge! posted:

The more pertinant question is: Why don't they rustproof COLLISION MITIGATION COMPONENTS better from the start? Think epoxy hot-dip or several cycles through a nonferrous metal plating bath (nickel?).

Up to the point it fell off (hit a frost heave bump on a lovely road) I had no indication there was anything wrong. I even sat on the bumper within the last month or so. Hit a bump, heard a thud, and then a plastic-on-asphalt dragging noise (not sure if it was better or worse than the "my exhaust is dragging" noise.) and I pulled over. Right side had completely given way, and left side was held on by some plastic screwclips by the wheel, and some rust. I unscrewed it and yanked it free.

Too bad somebody didn't tap my bumper in traffic or a parking lot. Coulda let their insurance buy me a new rear bumper beam.

:downsrim: I had a new in the foam-sheet rear bumper cover from when someone backed into me in 2004 and slightly puckered the one corner of the bumper and smashed out a tail light. Their insurance paid for my body shop estimate, and I directly purchased the tail light, and bumper cover. I installed the tail light, and left the bumper cover for "warmer months" but decided that I might as well hang on to it because the pucker wasn't that big a deal, and I quite literally purchased the LAST Honda Civic Wagovan rear bumper cover in Honda's US parts inventory. I put the extra "labor" money into a timing belt/water pump/head gasket job. So this poor bumper cover has lived in my mom's basement for 7 years. Since I was up in that part of the state when it FELL OFF I stopped in and grabbed it.

Any central PA goons with a garage want to let me rent it for an hour or two to swap it once the part hopefully arrives (it, too, could be the LAST ONE EVER.) All I have is a windy concrete parking lot... Unheated garage is perfectly fine, gently caress the wind.

On an unrelated note, since the bumper is off, I can now peer up into the "frame" box-channel things, and WOOHOO no rust!

:v::hf::clint: for "Any single part of this car can be CARRIED WITHIN this car" vehicles.

I'll post photos of the actual bumper rust carnage this week when its light out and above freezing...

EDIT!

AI Poll: Put new bumper cover on, save old one just in case vs. Put old one back on, continue lagering the virgin one.

Feel free to PM me. I have a garage (unheated) and compressor.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sponge! posted:

Pffft, move to one of our 6 non-emissions counties. Or have someone who lives in one own your vehicle. Is nice.

I live in a non-emissions county, and my inspection for each car is $19.15. With tax. I also like how PA doesn't consider my Bronco a truck and my registration doesn't cost truck-prices.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OSI bean dip posted:

This appeared on my Facebook feed this morning.

This makes me so sad. The first car I ever bought with my own money was a white '91 Integra coupe. I rarely ever see them around here without being rusted-out hulks, and seeing another one down is disheartening.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fucknag posted:

Welcome to sunny Florida, where there are no inspections whatsoever. Even cops can't stop you unless it's visibly and hilariously unsafe while driving, and even then they usually won't unless you're also breaking a traffic law. We are not legally allowed to hold a car under any circumstances ; we can refuse work and recommend them to a full service shop, and suggest that they tow rather than drive, but even that we can't require them to do.

Yeah here in PA you can't legally hold a vehicle even when it comes in for inspection and has all that poo poo wrong with it. You can fail the inspection and write everything down but you can't technically hold it since it's private property or some such poo poo. The only time you can hold it I think is when the owner hasn't paid for the repair and parts on it. We had some winners drive away under their own power when I was an auto manager, and we couldn't technically do anything.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Krakkles posted:

That's supposed to be there, right?

Holy five-syllable-Jesus

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

sirr0bin posted:

It's called a car hold.

Car hole

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Johnny Aztec posted:

We bought a Dyson like a decade ago, and it's still running strong, and hasn't lost suction.
It's not the ball type. Do the ball ones work okay? I just...I dunno, I just don't seem to trust them. I like this older upright model.

The ball ones are just OK compared to the old ones in my experience. We have one of each because our old one's beater bar took a poo poo, so I took it out to be a garage/car vacuum since I would only be using the wand. Then I tried to use it as a normal vacuum one day for some floor mats that were out of the car and POOF it works like brand new. It's probably ten years old at this point and has better suction than the new one, as well as having a much longer cord so it's good for cars that are out in the driveway as well. I'd move it back in the house but there's been so much nasty poo poo through it...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I felt like I was the only one who said this aloud but I’m seeing that I was wrong!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

EightBit posted:

Tango Down

Look at this photoshop wizard over here...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Beach Bum posted:

Regarding brake failures, this one will forever be my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuzVk0HTsU

YOU SAVED IT! YOU MOTHERFUCKER!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

DiggityDoink posted:

That's still not enough 10mms. You should have at least 3 per ratchet size. You should just accept you will lose them because the Devil feeds on 10mm sockets.

I lost a 10mm socket around Tuesday while working on the mini, only to find it yesterday morning in the driveway. Miracle!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be such a douche to your wife.

Boo this man!

I also throw the large majority of boxes away ASAP. I don’t keep any more than is strictly necessary otherwise everything is clutter.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

STR posted:

Wait what, you could get those things with a manual? :stare:

I would be fine with that, if it can hit 20+ mpg with a light foot. My Saturn never comes close to EPA stated mileage (even the old one only matched it a couple of times on road trips), while every Honda always managed to be within spitting distance on mixed driving and knocked it out of the park on highway mileage. My 01 Accord (F23A1, 5 speed manual, LX sedan... so the lightest car the A1 was used in for USDM vehicles) was rated 32 highway IIRC, and I hit at least 35 in it every time I drove between Austin and Dallas (all highway, usually AC on and cruise set at 85 - my best tank was 37 or 38, IIRC?).

I remember on one trip, I managed to fill up in south Dallas, drive to Austin, spend a week in Austin (plenty of city driving thrown in), and drive back to my driveway in north Dallas, on one tank... that tank still came back as 34 or 35 MPG. It's ~200 miles each way, and I think I put another 100 on it while in Austin. That fucker had a monster of a tank for a 4 pot, I think it was around 17 gallons? Sucked to fill up, but with my work commute at the time (2 miles each way), I only had to fill up every ~2 months or so. Assuming I actually drove.. I walked or rode my bike a bit. One of my regular customers would give me a ride home sometimes (she drove a pickup, so if I rode that day, just toss the bike into the bed).

My Integra usually hit high 30s on the highway, but was rated high 20s highway. I broke 40 on one highway tank somehow, but it was the middle of winter (so nice, dense, cold air), cruise set around 80, and that tank was literally "fill up, hop on I-10 until almost empty, pull into first gas station I spot".

Yeah the FWD Element could be had in a stick but not the AWD if I recall correctly.

I had an 04 TSX as one of my 12 or so Hondas, so K24 6-speed, and it was awesome. Had full exhaust including headers, and the VTEC noise was great. I traded it on a ‘13 Si and that was equally as fun but a little more modern interior. I have always loved the Honda clutch and shifter action but I think starting i the mid-00’s they REALLY figured out how to make them perfect. Even my new ‘19 Si has an excellent trans and clutch, despite the lack of VTEC (but addition of a turbo).

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Phanatic posted:

Friend of mine had two artificial hips implanted before he was 30. Avascular necrosis of both femoral heads, bone was splintering off. The fun part is that he'll have to get it redone eventually because he's so young.

Horrible biological failures.

I luckily avoided AVN in my hip after my accident when I shattered my pelvis, but I will still need a new hip probably before age 40 (2 years from now) due to the trauma-induced arthritis. Luckily the doc who fixed my pelvis is a good buddy of mine and also has an elective total hip practice so we are already planning it out so I can go back to doing all my normal dumbass poo poo as soon as possible. Horrible teenager failures contributed to the whole situation.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This is violence and art all together

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edward IV posted:

I guess I finally have a horrible mechanical failure to contribute. After buying a 2005 Forester XT from a fellow goon and driving it over 150 miles home, for the past week I've been alternating between driving it and my 2013 Impreza so I have the option of getting used to driving stick and driving when I don't want to fuss with it. On my way to work while driving the Forester, I hit some boost to pass someone before getting off the Parkway. When I get to a stoplight, I notice an odd smell that I didn't recognize; definitely not the smell of a burnt clutch or the exhaust. Since nothing else seemed out of the ordinary and I only had a few miles to go, I keep on driving. When I finally pull into my parking space, I'm shocked to see white smoke wafting out from under the hood and begin to freak out. My heart sinks when (because it was raining) I see an oil slick emanating from beneath the engine bay and am greeted with motor oil sprayed all over the turbo side of the engine bay with a nice coat on the hood interior, top of the strut tower, and all over the turbo heat shield.

Unable to determine where the leak had come from, I enlist the help of a coworker more familiar with turbo Subarus but even he's stumped beyond determining that there is no risk of a fire. While I was doing my work, I began to formulate a plan to hire a flatbed truck to transport it to a Subaru specialty shop 30 miles away. Then, another coworker tells me that the company has a well equipped workshop and trained auto techs (the company builds and services ambulances and emergency service vehicles) and I should enlist their help through my supervisor. After all was said and done, the tech and I take a closer look at the car and, after idling the engine for a few seconds, find that the leak was coming from the oil return line from the turbo in addition to finding out that the dip stick was dry. :ohdear:

The tech eventually takes the return line off and shows me the line completely cracked off of the fitting. (I don't know if that was how it was in the engine or it broke off when he took the line off) While it's going to take a little longer to get it fixed since new parts have to be ordered, at least this hasn't turned into as big of a money sink as I was initially expecting. That said, the dry dipstick has me worried. Hopefully, I can get the car working under its own power again and drive it to the shop for a more comprehensive inspection in addition to modifying the exhaust so that it can pass NJ inspection.

Ah man holy crap! I was just about to text you yesterday to see how you were doing when I got caught up at work. At least it’s just the return line, which is a relatively easy fix. Like the guys above said, if the oil light didn’t come on you should be ok and like we talked about the other day, I don’t necessarily trust that dipstick anyway. Did the motor sound the same while you were idling it?

What does the exhaust need for NJ inspection? I thought you guys just did sniffer and gas cap check?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edward IV posted:

NJ inspection involves an OBD scan and a visual inspection of the exhaust. I don't think there is a difference between new registrations and renewing inspections since I went through the same process when my Impreza was up for renewal. The process was a little different with the Forester since I took that one to a different state inspection facility and I didn't get to ride along in the passenger seat like when I did the Impreza. (They made everyone get out and had us wait in what was essentially an enclosed bus stop shelter.) I also don't know if the Eatontown facility where I took the Forester is more stringent than the Lakewood facility where I took the Impreza.

The tech that did the inspection said that he didn't see any cats on the exhaust and told me to come back with the stock exhaust which I don't have. So now until the end of the month to decide between either sourcing a stock exhaust and getting it installed, finding a private shop does inspections and aren't as stringent, or rework the existing exhaust so that it can pass inspection. Either way will involve spending money. I'm leaning more towards reworking the exhaust since I would imagine installing a legitimate cat would cost less than finding the stock exhaust and getting it installed unless the shop happens to have one lying around.

The Forester should be up and running by tomorrow afternoon and I'm planning on taking it to Precision Tuning in Spotswood to do the exhaust. I probably should have contacted them earlier in the week if I wanted stuff to get done on Saturday but I obviously had my hands full. Still, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what can be done.

There is 100% a cat on that exhaust. It’s right off the turbo. Your tech probably didn’t know where to look. That car has passed multiple years of PA inspection which also requires a visual of the emissions equipment.

Here’s a pic of the downpipe when I installed it. You can see it’s in the same location as the stock primary one next to it.

In comparison a catless pipe would look like this:

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 14, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edward IV posted:

OK. I figured there has to be a cat somewhere or else the exhaust would have been much more smelly than it already is. (There is a small hint of gas in the exhaust when it's idling even after a bit of driving but I don't know if that's normal or not.) I'll still give Precision Tuning a call and see what they suggest in terms of shops or facilities I should visit that know what they're doing. Considering how much of an ordeal it was for me to get to the Eatontown facility (I had a few embarrassing stalls including blocking two lanes of traffic while trying to negotiate a left turn.) so I want to make sure that it'll definitely pass.

Yeah the smell has always been there - on both my foresters in fact, even when stock.

As far as the stalls, it’s all part of the learning and acclimatization process. It always gets better.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

As far as the catalyst issue, It absolutely has a catalytic converter. It’s on the downpipe off the turbo in the stock front location. It shouldn’t be difficult to find. Your inspection tech must have been in a hurry to get home that day.

Here’s the pic again showing exactly where it is. It’s marked SUBARU on the stock pipe and the aftermarket one has it in the same location.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 21, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

You can space the o2 sensor out further to prevent this

I installed the exhaust and it does have a cat, in addition to the Cobb having tuning capabilities for deleting the signal for the P0420.

But there is 100% a cat and saying there isn’t one is a bullshit excuse. I suppose it’s their prerogative to pass or fail but it’s got emissions equipment.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

LifeSunDeath posted:

If you burn up stuff, the smoke goes into the sky and becomes stars.

That doesn’t sound right but I don’t know enough about stars to dispute it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

All I’m saying is I work in trauma surgery and you guys are lucky to have all your poo poo relatively intact...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

We bought a refurbished Dyson like ten years ago or more that was completely awesome and then my wife went to “upgrade” and got the Ball, which neither of us like. It has all these issues - skipping, falling over, weak suction compared to the original, short power cord, small waste bucket...

Long story short I still use the original one as my shop vacuum for car interiors and the like. It’s got a much longer wand hose and way more suction. Only thing I’ve ever done to it is replace the hose when it got mildewy

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PO of the Forester checking in here. That car passed PA safety inspection every year at a reputable shop in all the years I owned it. There was never a brake fluid leak or any other major issue like that, but it’s a 230k mile Subaru that lived it’s entire life in the northeast. I had no issues with the car (it was my wife’s daily driver until she got a truck) and I did tons of preventive maintenance and rust repair on it and stored it indoors. Clutch, flywheel, all new struts, etc. I’m just chiming in to say that the car was in no way unsafe when I sold it. Take it for what you will but again, I never had any reliability or safety issues with the car.

I admit the hoses by the intercooler aren’t the optimal or prettiest solution to a brittle hose but they’re also not exactly a safety issue.

Is this the same shop that didn’t know where the catalytic converter is?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 16, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PainterofCrap posted:

That is absolutely going to kill / maim a rider.

One dude is already missing a leg...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Quick jack with rubber blocks was a game-changer for me. Just enough height to crawl under comfortably and do pretty much any matter of work without pretzeling myself, and I feel the cars are more stable than with a set of old jack stands.

I got the 5000lb version so the trucks don’t get to use it but for all the Hondas and the RX7 it’s absolutely perfect.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Coming back to quick jack chat, I’ll be leaving this overnight while I wait for a 3” exhaust gasket. I feel much better with it on the locked quick jack rather than stands (yes I know I already mentioned this).

The failure here is that no local parts store counter monkeys either know if they have or are willing to look for an exhaust gasket. One dude was “too busy” and the other guy said it would take him several hours. This is why I bought them off Amazon.

The remaining parts of the offending gasket. I noticed a small leak when the car was running to warm up for an oil change, and this is all that was left.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mobby_6kl posted:

Couldn't you just put some blocks on top of the QJ? Or it wouldn't be able to lift the car then?

On something like a 911 you would be limited by the low ride height as far as putting larger blocks under it. On my S2000 I can’t fit the 3” blocks under the sills, only the 2” ones. The QuickJack came with both sets and the 3” can get used on my Civics, but the S2000 is just too low.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Phanatic posted:

Unrelated question: What do y'all like for lug nuts that aren't made out of Chinesium and will last for more than one set of wheel changes without starting to distort or corrode or gall?

I like Gorilla. I use them even for winter lugs and they hold up just fine

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m the half-a-needle on the tach

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kastein posted:

Motorcycles, RADL, jet engine gang, s2k guys, among others

Triggered. I’m 3/4 of this post.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Zopotantor posted:

Should we be worried about the bloodstains?

I’ll tell you what I tell my wife and kids.

Don’t worry about the blood stains.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Holy poo poo that’s a close call. My kid was watching it and said “I can’t believe he didn’t lose his arm!”

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The only new car I’ve had with interior rattles was one of my WRXs but it was so minor I didn’t even deal with it.

Most rattly used cars I’ve had are definitely R53 Minis. I have an 02 with dynamat and foam tape under the dash. To compare, I have an 02 Civic Si with almost identical mileage and zero squeaks or rattles or noises of any sort.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Probably still runs

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Is this modern art?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NoWake posted:

drat, that's what a new floor jack is supposed to do? Lifts from 3" to 20"? The old Craftsman three-tonner I've been using since 1998 has a usable range of like 5.5" to 13.5"... Perfect as it just about won't get under the pinch welds of my low car, and then barely gets it high enough to slide a jack stand under the control arm mount. And you're saying i can dispatch that pain in the rear end for like $150? This is a game changer.

I have been using the same craftsman floor Jack for about two decades and the only reason I haven’t upgraded is because I have a Quick Jack lift now.

However, my new 2000 Civic somehow doesn’t fit on it (Jack points are too far apart wtf) so if I can’t come up with a solution I’ll buy a new floor jack to supplement. This is good info.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The front fell off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

He deserved that violence for putting his foot on the wheel during that “procedure”.

I hope he wasn’t seriously injured, just enough to learn the lesson at hand.