Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
There's also a video out there of some of the tires exploding when they tested the full-load full-stop no thrust-reverse ran the rejected takeoff test on one of the newer passenger jets. The issue that caused it was later fixed, but it's pretty loving crazy to see those aircraft tires going off like bombs. I think the video's somewhere in the "things you find on YouTube" thread, but that's a lot to wade through.

e: Clarified, and found the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzWp67PIMw

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

JointHorse posted:

So.. what the hell happened there? Turbo failure and thus engine runaway?
[Edit] Video does say oil overfilling caused that, but how's that possible?
[Edit2] Oh yeah, there's always the breather tube, but I think that would require massive overfilling..

I would imagine the injectors getting stuck to "on" would do it. Not sure if that's actually what did happen or if it even could, but from my understanding of diesels that'd be about the effects. I like the pop from the radiator before it finally melts into a huge hunk of slag.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

drzrma posted:

The KC-135 pictures are amazing, I wouldn't have guessed you could do that.

I'm just curious as to where the nimrod who was pressurizing the thing was at the time, and whether or not the concussive force from the plane blowing the gently caress up took out both of his eardrums or not.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Other than airgunning wheelnuts on, I'm enjoying the videos he's got up on there.

drat, we need some more pictures in this thread:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

If I'd been there to see that I'd probably still be laughing.

I can just see the driver pitching forward out of the back end of that as the motor parts ways with its wheels.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

SGNL06 posted:

Followed promptly by the piston itself...
:black101:

Holy loving poo poo. :aaaaa:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

ijustam posted:

One of your locomotive-heads should make a train thread. I would but I have no content :( Trains are awesome and are the epitome of insanity. Motherfucking rolling bricks hauling THOUSANDS OF TONS AT 60 MILES PER HOUR :hellyeah:

I'd certainly read it, but I don't know of any words for trains that start with "A."
so far we've got Automotive, Aeronautic, Aquatic...?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

huskyjackal posted:

"caused me to lose control"

Generally the use of this phrase means your driving wrote a check that your driving skill couldn't cash.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

This is now my dream home. Holy poo poo.

Yeah, that's Fallingwater, probably Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous bit of architecture. There's a shitload of info on it out there if you're interested.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

FatCow posted:

Oil starvation from the angle?

Also nice job on the safety practices there.

I assume you've seen those Saudi drifting videos? It would seem they just give no gently caress whatsoever as far as safety is concerned.

↓↓ If anybody speaks Arabic, I'd be pretty interested to know what the announcer keeps shouting as that truck sits there and burns. ↓↓

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 8, 2010

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That's a pretty insane hill.

E: What exploded, was it some kind of nitrous system or just an electric fuel pump he forgot to shut off?

I'd go with fuel pump, judging by the spout of flame that pours down the passenger side when it blows up in the second video.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baby Hitler posted:

I never understood safety wire being solid core at all.

Maybe so it's either there or not? With braided/twisted cable you could snap a few strands, causing the bolt/whatever to loosen without visible outward signs? Maybe?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

tripsevens posted:

Some Airbus hilarity:

Caused by a damaged wheel.

Ouch. I can't imagine those ridiculous brakes are cheap. I figure the hub there is shot as well?

:signings:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

rocket_350 posted:

Late one night I was passing alongside a truck that was accelerating down a highway on ramp when a large red hot rotating mass shot from under it at me. I assume it was a part of the clutch or flywheel. It missed me, but not by much.

Yeah on the long drive home from PA to FL last week, we pulled up on a semi whose rearmost passenger side trailer wheel was glowing orange and throwing sparks.

I'm guessing a really really shot wheel bearing, but I didn't hang out behind the thing long enough to find out. :supaburn:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blaster of Justice posted:

I guess this counts as a horrible mechanical failure. Robert Dunlops 1994 TT rear wheel collapse.

(Robert survived)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6T6dTIOZ2c

Quoting this with an image capture from the video because JESUS CHRIST.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

There was a diving accident in the North Sea where the rack mixing the gas was misconfigured for just a few seconds sending a shot of about 50% oxygen into the diver's helmet. Given that he was working at 200-250 feet, the partial pressure was so beyond lethal, the symptoms shown on the body where not known to science before the accident.

This is really morbid, but do you have a link? The post mortems on these types of things are really fascinating, like the one where they opened the pressure chamber door early and one guy got sucked bodily through a gap about an inch and a half wide.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Forgot to add this one to the other post, not so much horrible in what failed, more a package deal. Heater core on a Toyota Previa.

I know heater cores are generally a bitch, but Jesus. Would NOT want to do that job. Or get charged for it. :signings:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Root Bear posted:

:stare:

Did this car fall off the back of a truck? I honestly can't see what else would cause that much damage.

gently caress.

Now I'm really curious to see what it would look like if you filled the diff with gasoline instead of gear oil & just floored it everwhere until the inevitable happened. :devil:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

JD Brickmeister posted:

Mythbusters just did something with an LP grill tank - same thing but smaller, right? They put it in a burning building, after about 20 minutes the safety vent popped and essentially created a semi-controlled blowtorch for 10 seconds.

The only way they could get an explosion was to rig the pressure release valve so it wouldn't work. Essentially what you get is a big explosion with shrapnel from the broken tank all over the place. To get that they had to set it on a specially created gas burner that looked like about 20 blowtorches going off at once, for about ten minutes.

They were trying to re-create the myth that the tank turned into a rocket that flew 150 feet in the air. They were kind of able to do it by rigging a gun to shoot a hole in the bottom just as the tank started to bulge. It went maybe 60 feet, then started spinning because it didn't have stabilizer fins.

The water heater rocket worked pretty goddamn good though, and morons replace that overpressure valve all the time, because they're morons. Then all it takes is a broken thermostat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Marux posted:

Replace it with a cap/plug, I think he meant, that way it becomes zero-maintenance :downs:

Yeah pretty much. Which reminds me, I have no idea why I didn't think to link this yet. It's not very car related, but hooooooly poo poo, there are some failures involved.

Home Inspection Nightmares - some of this poo poo is unreal. A little preview:

[/housechat]

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

ha, just saw this on a friend of a friend's facebook:

Every now and then the internet just smacks you upside the face with how small it's made the world.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

drat, I forgot how much MMS compresses poo poo. 14, email them next time, it'll take longer but they won't be so tiny. My bad.

Here's the ultimate ABS failure.

That's the most ridiculous brake failure I've ever heard of. Dear christ, it discolored the goddamn paint. :supaburn:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Intoxication posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JQ7Kc--qM&feature=related

This is part 2, I love how the boy is just fine with doing this right next to a fighter jet. That should be an awesome backyard to have friends over.

Not to mention what appears to be the hub assembly from a helicopter attached to a giant box. :psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

They probably should have dialled their marketing back a notch or two then.

Not saying Ford necessarily owes anyone anything, but you have to be careful with your advertising.

Those Professional driver closed course do not attempt things are in the commercials for a reason. Mainly rear end-covering.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

If the car starts and drives, in even the most basic way, it doesn't get serviced or repaired.

Being from Florida, land of no vehicle inspections, it's precisely this. The only time a car like that sees a shop is if it doesn't start or actively runs into something.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

This never gets old.

The best one is where the camera car almost rams some silver SUV thing, lays on the horn, and then rams into the same SUV at the next intersection when it makes a right out of the next lane over.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Sorry. All I could think of was Melbourne with that turn right from the left lane on red bullshit. Does that still exist?

Ephphatha posted:

Hook turns work pretty well assuming people aren't complete loving retards. Given the quality of the average Melbourne driver though I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

OK, I'm going to need a diagram or something, because from here this is just 10 kinds of :psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ephphatha posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_turn

Basically cars wanting to turn right will instead queue in the left lane and wait until the phase changes, then they can pull out to the right ahead of the cross traffic.

This video shows how it is meant to work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VC110TeusA

The problem comes when people go too early and pull out ahead of through traffic, or cross traffic pulls out too early and sideswipes the turning traffic.

Wow. That's like the corner case of corner cases where driving is concerned. I don't think I've heard of anything like that before anywhere, though those insane magic roundabouts are pretty close in :wtc:ery.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

nerdly_dood posted:

Same deal with left turns in the States, if you're gonna turn left, go to the goddamn left and wait for a green arrow.

Unless you're in New Jersey where they have jug handles just to royally gently caress with out-of-staters.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

I don't know what's worse - the jughandles in NJ or the Michigan Left.

Eh, seems kind of normal from living in Florida where there's a lot of that, sans the no-left cross streets. I've had to do what amounts to a Michigan left several times, and it's not too difficult provided people aren't hanging out in the passing lane for no good reason.

Then again, I could see out of state people being baffled by the no-left signs if the fact there's a turnaround up the road isn't immediately obvious.

E: thinking about it, given the choice, I'd go with jughandles. At least then, all the turning traffic is in the right lane, out of the way. Though the Michigan lefts have those deceleration cutouts for the turn, we all know that some people feel compelled to slow down to 10mph before cutting over into that lane. :argh:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 8, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

My dad had like a 30 year old paint can of some sort of industrial carb dip, I dunked one of my old carbs and it came out shiny new in about a minute. Got some on my hands and it seriously felt like I had poured boiling water all over them instantaneously. Wonder what it was.

Superfund site in a can. :v:

You can probably still get the stuff, whatever it is, but it definitely isn't sold over the AutoZone counter as carb cleaner.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

This is what :stare: was made for...

I know that's been posted before, and I swear someone mentioned it was the "run" part of a hit & run, but I can't find a source for it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Let me be the first to say Holy loving poo poo!

Seriously.

Here's the page with the description: http://avherald.com/h?article=4438e8ff&opt=0

Which also contains this :supaburn: video of an MD-80 coming in hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pk1N6GzeOo

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

This. I want this to be true more than anything I've ever read, but the loads on the robot catching an engine block thrown 100 feet are far beyond what that catcher would be rated for. It would overload without doubt, possibly even break mechanical fuses.

That and specifically mentioning an overhand throw. Overhand is great for speed, but is going to put way more stress on the throwing and catching bot than an underhand lob. Also much more difficult telemetry...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That smug-rear end Amazon box totally makes this picture.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

Australians arent allowed to do their own A/C work, or LPG work, Or home electrical work...

Im just glad ive got a mate whos an A/C repairer because I get discounted work, otherwise its $150+ just for a regas.

How is it you all live in a country founded as a penal colony wherein every single living thing can murder you outright, yet you can't do anything remotely dangerous? Goddamnit, I'm derailing the derail.

Getting back on topic, saw a car today with its front quarter panel duct-taped on. That's a first.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

What gets me is that he was storing a tank without the heavy caps over the valves that keep this from happening. Every time I think about moving a tank I imagine how easy it would be to knock the valve into something or drop the tank onto the valve or something. Gives me the willies. Don't welding instructors always drill that into you? Always use the cap!

Not to mention the whole "instant unguided missile" thing should the valve break off entirely.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Story.

Now.

Also, way to go Ken! :v:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

I think I posted my failed ACVW head collection a while back. Or maybe that was on the Samba. If someone with a better memory than I can confirm or deny I'll post them and make anyone considering a late baywindow bus reconsider their options.

Forums hint: If you click the little ? at the bottom of a post in the username/avatar column, it will show every post in the thread by that user. :science:

And yes, your first post in the thread was a couple of really unhappy VW heads.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Was looking for something else and this turned up. I think a few of these dyno disasters have shown up in here, but lots of new content as well. Lots of fun, and terrible terrible tie-down setups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzFGUUR1UDI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

From work today.

Goddamn, was that wheel just flopping around like a fish or what? That didn't get to your shop under its own power did it?