Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It didn't matter where the steering column went because all the passengers would be safely thrown clear of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

That's not really a bad place for the gas tank to go, the Honda Fit has it in the same place. It's better than having it somewhere closer to the edge where an impact will cause it to explode.

You don't normally drive a honda fit at 90mph through the woods.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Why? Will they crack a ton?

I think it's in the documentary Madness on Wheels. Someone tells a story where after a crash, he's upside down in his Lancia 037 and there's fuel dripping down on him and his navigator.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I always giggle when I'm following an Escape without 4wd, because there's this huge gaping hole in the rear suspension where the diff would go.

This massively confused me when I first saw a FWD escape and it looked like it was supposed to have a rear diff but just had a big hole instead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why are antenna masts (retractable or not) still a thing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you'll find that most antennas on f1 cars are airfoils.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You posted that ten days ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it's possible to find a picture of it anymore. Maybe I even saw it on this forum somewhere. It was a guy who wanted a big tree stump. They put it forward on the trailer and it both broke the trailer and bent his truck in half.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Obviously the talented staff at U-Haul would have instructed the owner on proper trailer techniques.

Every UHaul trailer I've seen has big labels saying to put more weight to the front.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Turns out chains aren't meant to yanked on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's like when the guy thought you pull a truck off a berm by gunning it backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1xZxUssfs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can only imagine that he at one point heard someone say that's what you do with bungee straps but forgot about the bungee part. If you had a bungee strap, you would just go (though not that fast), build up a bunch of energy in the strap and then that would slowly pull the other truck. But he just has regular straps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not every parking lot is good for autocross.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are leases for machinery not like normal leases? You don't have to take care of it at all?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can they unbolt that part of the frame and install a new bit?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Nope. Unibody, the strut tower is part of the overall body structure.

RIP Porsche.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Pitbulls are mustangs. They are harmless unless you train them to maim people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I may not know nothin bout no metallurgy, but I do know these here bolts is cheaper than them fancy manganesium bolts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

:v:

Mine was only 35-40 mph but it was head on and I "legit" walked away from it, just some sore knees from banging the dashboard and a stiff neck for a few weeks.

Though, the Taurus that slammed in to me showed even less damage but the other driver had to be carted off in an ambulance. So I'm not sure what kind of point that makes.

The more hosed up the outside of a car gets, the less energy makes it into the cabin. If the Taurus didn't have much in the way of crumple zones, all the impact goes into the driver. This seems counterintuitive to many people. They think "Those old cars from the 50s and 60s would just plow through whatever without a scratch, these new cars get totaled in a minor fender bender." They aren't realizing that the more trashed your car gets, the more it protects you. Passenger compartments are built strong as hell, everything in front of and behind them are designed to crumple like paper.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 7, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't really know what was wrong with my transmission. It was making a weird garbly noise and there was a bad vibration on the gear selector. I'm guessing it was eating itself or something and there were just bits floating around in it. All I know is two days after I brought it in the BMW guy said they were giving me a new $10k transmission for the $50 CPO deductible. After that, I'll probably never buy a car with a DCT ever again, because holy poo poo, when I looked up the part number on some parts site.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dannywilson posted:

What am I looking at here?

The old adage of "measure once, cut twice."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The plane thought it was Senna.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have some half sized bad news. May I come half way in?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
On The Grand Tour, they send James to a winching tournament. That was actually interesting because they drive around, get stuck, winch out, and keep going. They aren't just driving into a mud pit shouting "YEEEHAAAAW" until their truck falls apart.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they thought they were doing Fuel/Air ratio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I dunno how well an engine runs with a 14.7:1 fuel/air ratio :p

I was going to say maybe a dragster, but I guess they only run around 1:1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keeps your weight down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ford CRUMBLES before pile of Chevy scrap metal

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Rectum fryer

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've had a total of 12.8 liters over 26 cylinders. Average of 3.2 liters and 6.5 cylinders. Average horsepower of 253.25.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm interested in seeing what that tube looks like while she's steering.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder how much cheaper insurance could be if people were forced to change their bald tires. When I lived in San Antonio, any time a drop of water hit a road, there would be three accidents and possibly someone rolled over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How much did that palm tattoo hurt?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Alright that's enough puns for now.

Can we rhyme like our brains have the runs, you cow?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Elsa posted:

Dunno about that car but I always feel better after I throw up.

How do you feel after you blow a turbine out your rear end?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Wheel might not be knocked off. That's the first generation Chevy/GM trucks to have independent front suspension, so it might just be a control arm failure causing the tire to buckle under.

Which, if they had a lovely lift kit with replacement control arms, that could happen.

The tire is off the wheel. You can see the wheel still attached.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They check out the course beforehand and write up some notes. While driving, there is a navigator who reads off the course notes to say what kind of turns are coming up, how to take the turn depending on any hazards on the inside or outside, if there are any jumps or water, and other kinds of things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This has always been my favorite rally video, mainly because of around 2:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxDz0Z066NI

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I never really understood what was edited. Did the guy add in fake audio or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You've never heard of Spy Hunter?