Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
If ai is so smart why do I need to press a button on my mouse. It reminds me of that ai fridge that starts beeping if you leave the door open instead of just closing the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nolgthorn posted:

If ai is so smart why do I need to press a button on my mouse. It reminds me of that ai fridge that starts beeping if you leave the door open instead of just closing the door.

Fridges' doors will never close automatically until they can detect with 100% confidence that there isn't a toddler or a pet inside.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thanks Ants posted:

No no no no no no no no

Oh my God

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I know this is not a tech support focused thread but I figure there are a lot of nerds who know about mice in here.

I've had my razer deathadder v2 mini for about a year and a half and it's worked peachy. Two days ago I noticed a weird blip while I was sitting nearby where I could hear the windows USB device "unplug" chime, and a moment later the "plug-in" chime. I figured it was nothing and forgot about it, and It only happened once while I was present. A few hours later while playing helldivers the unplug chime plays again and the mouse goes unresponsive. After unplugging it and switching it around to a different USB port it seemed to fix itself.

Today, the same thing happened and this time it seems properly broken... Except the mouse still works just fine on the other PC and laptop in the house. The symptoms are actually quite bizarre-- at first I was able to plug it in and get the chime, it would pop up in the list of USB devices, and then a second later disappear and become unresponsive while the lights on the mouse remained on. Then, if I immediately unplugged it and put it back in it would not chime and there would be no light... But if I waited like 5 minutes and tried again it would once again do the thing where it registered for a second. At one point in the midst of this furious plugging and replugging the mouse actually seemed to come back to life and the cursor worked for a sustained amount of time, until I replugged it once more for science and it went back to being broken. Currently I simply cannot get any response at all from plugging it into any port.

I'll reiterate that the backup mouse and all my other USB devices are working just fine so it doesn't seem like a problem with bad ports, and the razer mouse seems to function properly on other devices. I have rebooted the machine several times with various configurations of mice present and not present during power up. I don't use the synapse software because it seems like junk.

I'm so mystified I don't even know what to try at this point, I'm about to throw up my hands and just buy something else.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Try uninstalling Helldivers 2 and see what happens. There are reports of system instability from the anticheat always running even if the game itself is not, and you've basically covered everything else besides ye olde sfc /scannow.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Scoss posted:

I know this is not a tech support focused thread but I figure there are a lot of nerds who know about mice in here.

I've had my razer deathadder v2 mini for about a year and a half and it's worked peachy. Two days ago I noticed a weird blip while I was sitting nearby where I could hear the windows USB device "unplug" chime, and a moment later the "plug-in" chime. I figured it was nothing and forgot about it, and It only happened once while I was present. A few hours later while playing helldivers the unplug chime plays again and the mouse goes unresponsive. After unplugging it and switching it around to a different USB port it seemed to fix itself.

Today, the same thing happened and this time it seems properly broken... Except the mouse still works just fine on the other PC and laptop in the house. The symptoms are actually quite bizarre-- at first I was able to plug it in and get the chime, it would pop up in the list of USB devices, and then a second later disappear and become unresponsive while the lights on the mouse remained on. Then, if I immediately unplugged it and put it back in it would not chime and there would be no light... But if I waited like 5 minutes and tried again it would once again do the thing where it registered for a second. At one point in the midst of this furious plugging and replugging the mouse actually seemed to come back to life and the cursor worked for a sustained amount of time, until I replugged it once more for science and it went back to being broken. Currently I simply cannot get any response at all from plugging it into any port.

I'll reiterate that the backup mouse and all my other USB devices are working just fine so it doesn't seem like a problem with bad ports, and the razer mouse seems to function properly on other devices. I have rebooted the machine several times with various configurations of mice present and not present during power up. I don't use the synapse software because it seems like junk.

I'm so mystified I don't even know what to try at this point, I'm about to throw up my hands and just buy something else.
Disable here:

and uncheck all of these within the properties tab here:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Unfortunately, no change in behavior on the power tweaks or from briefly uninstalling Helldivers.

Assuming I can't figure it out, might as well ask for recommendations for mice under $50 (wired is fine)

I had a Logitech 203 and the left button started doubleclicking after barely a year. I switched to Razer because I heard they used different switches that were less prone to breaking down, but instead the mouse wheel became a bit funky (giving mixed up-down inputs unless I'm really spinning the wheel) had me thinking about replacing it before this latest issue made it nonfunctional, so I think I'll be avoiding Razer this time.

I just don't think i'm very fussy about size/shape/weight. The 203 had a good shape and so long as it has maybe two thumb buttons I don't care at all about any frills beyond that.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 26, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It kind of sounds like you may want smaller mice but the Logitech G502 and Razer Basilisk V3 (both wired versions) are about $45-50. They are fairly big mice, but not huge. The Basilisk is kind of a copy of the G502 shape:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G502-Performance-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B07GBZ4Q68/

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Basilisk-Customizable-Ergonomic-Gaming/dp/B09C13PZX7/

If you want more of a smaller ambidextrous shape like you've had previously the G203 and the Deathadder Essential kind of still fit that bill:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LIGHTSYNC-Wired-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B07YN82X3B/
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Essential-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B094PS5RZQ/

Glorious model o is ~$52, has a lot of holes to bring down weight or whatever:
https://www.amazon.com/Glorious-PC-Gaming-Race-GOM-White/dp/B07VRQWBMR/

If you want to look at optical switches (only the main two buttons will be optical) that in theory won't ever have a problem, the optical version of the G502 has its white wired version on sale for $60 right now (black is $75):
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wired-Gaming-Mouse-Optical-Mechanical/dp/B0943J7HJG/

Razer also have an optical switch wired mouse for about $40, the Cobra. Kind of barebones but might be worth consideration:
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Cobra-Wired-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0C51J2ZXN/

I'm sure goons may have some other recommendations, I'm mostly familiar with the logitech stuff since that's what I have a lot of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Scoss posted:

I had a Logitech 203 and the left button started doubleclicking after barely a year. I switched to Razer because I heard they used different switches that were less prone to breaking down, but instead the mouse wheel became a bit funky (giving mixed up-down inputs unless I'm really spinning the wheel) had me thinking about replacing it before this latest issue made it nonfunctional, so I think I'll be avoiding Razer this time.
Pretty much all gaming mice use the same poo poo mechanical scroll wheel encoders because they're 1/5th the weight (3g vs 15g) of a good one and the current meta focus is making them as light as possible. If you want to keep using a light mouse, you might as well buy some encoders and learn to solder and replace them yourself.