Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Rinkles posted:

What’s the appeal of vertical?

I'm annoyed with mice and am willing to try anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

What’s the appeal of vertical?

It's more ergonomic to use for long periods because the radius and ulna aren't twisting over themselves all day

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

It's more ergonomic to use for long periods because the radius and ulna aren't twisting over themselves all day

And it succeeds at that for you? Those pains are among the reasons I try to minimize pc use nowadays (back issues being the other).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

And it succeeds at that for you? Those pains are among the reasons I try to minimize pc use nowadays (back issues being the other).

Oh idk, I don't have one personally but friends do and swear by them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just asking because ime ergonomic innovations often introduce their own new set of ergo issues

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ihmemies posted:

What is the largest available wired gaming mouse these days? I bought a HP Omen by steelseries mouse in 2017, and the skin is peeling and scrollwheel has intermittent problems. This is what I have: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/product-specs/hp-omen-mouse-with-steelseries/12733342

It is quite large:
Dimensions (W x D x H)
5.23 x 2.76 x 1.8 in

I'd prefer something at least of an equal size. Any recomendations? Thanks.

How strict is your wired requirement? There are a bunch of wireless mice with USB charging and you can just leave it plugged in.

I can't offer much in the way of specific models because I don't normally track mice by their dimensions but those numbers look pretty close to my G502x, with slightly more of a hump on yours.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a MX Master and was getting wrist pain, completely gone with the MX Vertical

Ihmemies posted:

What is the largest available wired gaming mouse these days? I bought a HP Omen by steelseries mouse in 2017, and the skin is peeling and scrollwheel has intermittent problems. This is what I have: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/product-specs/hp-omen-mouse-with-steelseries/12733342

It is quite large:
Dimensions (W x D x H)
5.23 x 2.76 x 1.8 in

Logitech G502?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 1, 2024

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I had a MX Master and was getting wrist pain, completely gone with the MX Vertical

Logitech G502?

Thanks. That looks a bit too.. gaming... :catdrugs: though. I meant more like a mouse for games, not for office use.

Zowie EC1-C is only slightly smaller than what I have now. Maybe that would do the job.

I understood Zowie was all the rage back in the day, but isn't that popular any more. Any idea why, is something wrong with their products, or are they just too "boring" for today's taste?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Rinkles posted:

Just asking because ime ergonomic innovations often introduce their own new set of ergo issues

Ergonomic stuff is very individual. The cause for your wrist pain is different from someone else's wrist pain, so the fix is different. Posture, pressure, positioning, variations in your actual body, etc.

If you have wrist or tendon pain from mousing, buy a cheap vertical mouse and use it for a while, see if it helps. It might it might not. Could be you need is a trackball or touchpad instead, because the problem is actually from arm movement not wrist position. Could be you need a different desk & chair because your real problem is height and posture.

Ergo gear is like that. You can make some basic observations to have a better idea of where to start, but then you have to just try stuff.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I do. If you want a "gaming"-class, non-Logitech, 2.4ghz wireless mouse that has optical L/R buttons and uses AAs, this is it. When I was looking for all 5 of those criteria 9 months ago, it was the only one I could find that meets all of them. As an added bonus, the config software actually works and doesn't need to be running in the background at all times (Ghub :argh:).

I hope this discount doesn't mean it's going to be discontinued. Maybe I'll pick up a spare, just in case. Haven't had any issues with mine thus far.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rinkles posted:

It works for me, yes. It made a big difference and I feel it every time I go back to using a traditional mouse for extended gaming sessions. I also use the DXT Mouse which you push around with your fingers for small movements and use your whole arm for larger movements.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

For me, yes

I bought a Logitech Lift, but my desk height was all wrong to use my mouse comfortably with my arm in the new position, so I ended up getting a (couple of) standing desks on a great offer just after Fully was bought up by Herman Miller. A few months later they stopped even shipping them to where I live, so it was some lucky timing

It helped a lot in my experience

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ihmemies posted:

It is quite large:
Dimensions (W x D x H)
5.23 x 2.76 x 1.8 in

https://us.maxgaming.com/us/wired-mouses/pro-intellimouse-shadow-black

Still going 4yrs strong on the original one I purchased. Highly recommend snagging a couple before they're gone forever.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Rinkles posted:

As double carpal tunnel owner that has been surgically intervened twice, it helped heaps. It was so comfortable regular mice felt lovely and poorly designed to use.

But it didn't fix it completely since my work involved a ton of tiny movements with wrist. So I just skipped that step and went to trackball, namely finger ball trackball as thumb trackball is dumb and just reks your thumb. That did fix it completely.
Plus now trackball feels so good I don't even whip out my mouse unless its the rare ultra sweaty gaming session.
I'm using elecom huge with zircon bearings upgrade and polished ball. Can't reccomend it unless you can spend exactly 70 bucks. Get a gameball or kensington blade instead.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

https://us.maxgaming.com/us/wired-mouses/pro-intellimouse-shadow-black

Still going 4yrs strong on the original one I purchased. Highly recommend snagging a couple before they're gone forever.

Thanks! I had those back in the day but the cord always broke inside the mouse, causing it to cease functioning. Maybe the newer models have finally fixed it.. I also think it was the model where the click actuators wore a dent inside the mouse's plastic button, making the clicks to fail eventually...

Seems to be 32,80€ with shipping to Finland.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 2, 2024

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ihmemies posted:

It is quite large:
Dimensions (W x D x H)
5.23 x 2.76 x 1.8 in

that is big, drat

besides the intellimouse, steelseries makes the rival 600/650 which have similar dimensions (69mm wide at palm end of the mouse). if you like a lot of buttons you might enjoy a g600 or razer naga. both are shorter but as wide or wider, and about as high. i don't think there is anything quite as huge though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

haddedam posted:

As double carpal tunnel owner that has been surgically intervened twice, it helped heaps. It was so comfortable regular mice felt lovely and poorly designed to use.

But it didn't fix it completely since my work involved a ton of tiny movements with wrist. So I just skipped that step and went to trackball, namely finger ball trackball as thumb trackball is dumb and just reks your thumb. That did fix it completely.
Plus now trackball feels so good I don't even whip out my mouse unless its the rare ultra sweaty gaming session.
I'm using elecom huge with zircon bearings upgrade and polished ball. Can't reccomend it unless you can spend exactly 70 bucks. Get a gameball or kensington blade instead.

The Elecom looks very interesting. I did not know they made ergonomic (asymmetric) finger balls; I thought the market was either Kensington-style square/symmetric designs, which I find awkward, or thumb balls.

The price is also quite reasonable - other trackballs are also pretty expensive, and zirconia bearings are like 5€ (a few more euros for G5 ones).

Did you ever try the Nulea M505B? I watched a few trackball videos as that popped up as another model very similar to the Elecom in design. It's cheaper and some Amazon users claim to find it much sturdier than Elecom models, but y'know... Amazon reviews.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 5, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

No not really haven't even heard of it. If I had I would've probs considerd it.

My.main issue with elecom is that the mouse wheel is awful (the clicks mainly)and you need proprietary software running 24/7 to rebind the buttons.

I'm thinking of upgrading to gameball or such and giving my elecom to some friend.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

NihilCredo posted:

The Elecom looks very interesting. I did not know they made ergonomic (asymmetric) finger balls; I thought the market was either Kensington-style square/symmetric designs, which I find awkward, or thumb balls.

The price is also quite reasonable - other trackballs are also pretty expensive, and zirconia bearings are like 5€ (a few more euros for G5 ones).

Did you ever try the Nulea M505B? I watched a few trackball videos as that popped up as another model very similar to the Elecom in design. It's cheaper and some Amazon users claim to find it much sturdier than Elecom models, but y'know... Amazon reviews.

I'm coming up on a year with my Elecom Deft Pro and it's been fantastic. Swapped the bearings.

I would recommend rechargeable batteries, it uses 1 AA and it doesn't seem to be super efficient, but I am using this for work and gaming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What’s the go to for mmo mouse (12 key side pad) these days? I had good luck with Razer in the past, tried the Logitech and kind of hated it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Arivia posted:

What’s the go to for mmo mouse (12 key side pad) these days? I had good luck with Razer in the past, tried the Logitech and kind of hated it.

There is one made by Steelseries as well. It's styled like the other two, however there is no real distinction on the side buttons (like how Logitech's has a ridge on the edge of the center two buttons), so it could take quite a bit to get used to being able to differentiate what button you are pushing.

A number of chinese knock-off's as well, and I believe Redragon has one too.

I think you can get the Razer one as only a 12-side button or with the swappable side plates (called the Naga Pro now), in wired and wireless, though there are some differences. Logitech hasn't ever made the G600 wireless to my knowledge.

As to the software to use it, it might be needed, it might not. Most default the side buttons to the numpad, so some games it could work, some maybe, some will nope. Whether they have onboard memory so you can re-map and not need to use the software again will depend on the manufacturer. Logitech's does, I think the Razer does as well, no clue on Steelseries.

Since you didn't care for the G600, I wouldn't worry, as they are pretty much only at scalper prices. The Razer Naga start at 100 and go up from there. The Steelseries is now called the Aerox 9, and they put a bunch of holes in the case, it starts at $150. And the Redragon's is wired only, but $33.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 7, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
The Redragon has onboard memory. The software is dogshit but workable.

Nothing else has the triple button setup of the G600 which is a real shame, but the Redragon does have an extra button you can remap elsewhere.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really appreciate the Stormbreaker's position-adjustable sensor. I can't say that the mouse has made my aim better, but it has definitely made it more consistent thanks to being able to put the sensor in a place that has it move more in-line with how my hand moves rather than slightly off.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Corsair has an MMO mouse that I can get at a reasonable price. Unless the recent versions of the Naga come with those laser switches that don't develop double clicking over time, I'll probably go with that. The Redragon has the ridge in the middle of the side button grid (splitting it into two sets of six) which is what I hated most about the G600, so that's a no-go for me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

I can't say that the mouse has made my aim better,

but it has definitely made it more consistent

That means your aims better!

:)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Arivia posted:

Corsair has an MMO mouse that I can get at a reasonable price. Unless the recent versions of the Naga come with those laser switches that don't develop double clicking over time, I'll probably go with that. The Redragon has the ridge in the middle of the side button grid (splitting it into two sets of six) which is what I hated most about the G600, so that's a no-go for me.

Oh yeah for me this is the big selling point of their designs, but if you hated it you gotta go for something else.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arivia posted:

Optical switches do not develop double clicking.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EbolaIvory posted:

That means your aims better!

:)

hah, i knew i should have worded that better. "aim ceiling" or whatever

but, yeah. you right. XD

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

hah, i knew i should have worded that better. "aim ceiling" or whatever

but, yeah. you right. XD

Keep an eye on the clicks if you didn't get a nacho or "newer" revision black/white or whatever.

Basically all the other colorways stock is backstock atm and there are some QC issues. I feel like I talked about this at some point but yeah. If your clicks even slightly start to feel different at all, get with support and have them mail you a kit of dots and mylar poo poo. Its an easy fix and you're a goon so whatever you can handle it. But the old versions could have up to 4 dots stacked to make the tolerances flush or whatever for the click. They slide over time. Fun poo poo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thankfully, I have not had that issue, yet, after over 1,000 hours with the mouse.

And I do remember your effort post on that from earlier. :)

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Kibner posted:

Thankfully, I have not had that issue, yet, after over 1,000 hours with the mouse.

And I do remember your effort post on that from earlier. :)

1000 hours is around 3 months of 12 hours a day usage.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

haddedam posted:

1000 hours is around 3 months of 12 hours a day usage.

Oh, well, probably 400 hours, then. whoops

It's been a lot of usage.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Optical switches do not develop double clicking.

Exactly, that's what I said. However, looking at the website the Naga still uses mechanical switches, so I went with the Corsair.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Arivia posted:

Exactly, that's what I said. However, looking at the website the Naga still uses mechanical switches, so I went with the Corsair.

The Naga X and V2 Pro are listed as optical switches, the other two list mechanical.

The side buttons are possibly membrane, if not just regular little mechanical switches.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

So it's been a few weeks of me using THIS mouse for posting and THAT mouse for gaming. I feel like a gigantic dork when I swap. But I have to admit, it's been the best solution I've tried so far. Y'all were right.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wash bucket posted:

So it's been a few weeks of me using THIS mouse for posting and THAT mouse for gaming. I feel like a gigantic dork when I swap. But I have to admit, it's been the best solution I've tried so far. Y'all were right.

I have a little purple mattress for whatever mouse I'm not using. Lean into it. :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Compared to HP Omen by Steelseries mouse:
- Zowie EC1-CW "large" is noticeably smaller. The cord feels very flimsy and lack of software is a bit meh. The DPI steps are too large on the bottom. I like 1250dpi for some reason so 800 is not enough and 1600 is too much.
- Intellimouse Pro SPECIAL EDITION feels a lot nicer already. It is a bit larger than Zowie but still doesn't fill the palm as well as the HP Omen. Stiffer cord, cool light, Mouse and Keyboard Center software is nice. I can adjust the buttons and DPI easily enough. Back button feels really awakward compared to HP. This is the largest problem with the mouse.

From those two MS Intellimouse is definitely nicer. Also it was under 30€ while Zowie was 65€.
I'll probably try to give the Zowie to my parents who have a less used HP Omen by Steelseries on their home PC. Then I'll try to figure out if I should keep using the Omen or Intellimouse.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 10, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Keychron added 4000Hz polling to their MX Master clone for only $69, I actually kind of want this one: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-m6-wireless-mouse

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No no no no no no no no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Look, the sooner we get dumb poo poo like this the sooner the whole thing will crash and burn.