Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sixide posted:

I don't think wireless mice have a big latency problem. It's probably 5-10ms or so. That's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world either.

I think between the added latency and the added weight of batteries you end up getting a lot of overshoot on quick movements, which leads to the perception of much higher latency.

Given that normal reaction times are somewhere around one or two tenths of a second I'm having a hard time imagining a situation where 10ms would make a different that you'd actually notice. FPSs are perfectly playable on servers with five times that much latency. Given that, I suspect perceived latency is either entirely the weight or weight plus placebo. Or using a wireless mouse a looong time ago and vowing never to do so again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MasterWerk posted:

has no one posted this yet? c'mon, mouse nerds... keep up.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/mad-catz-cyborg-rat-hands-on-true-customizable-mouse-madness/

apparently, the physical form of the mouse is adjustable. i like the idea, but the design... wat?

It's like that transformer case. I want to hate, but then I go all :buddy:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

amitlu posted:

This worked, thanks.

Or you can do what I did and sit there and practice middle clicking until you can do it consistently. It was a pain in the rear end but I can use tilt for stuff.

Even though I don't. :downs:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FWIW Logitech claims right on their site that their Lightspeed mice like the 903, 703 and 603 have a 1ms response time wirelessly but they also claim the same response time wired. It's entirely possible for a wireless mouse to be faster than a wired mouse but it's not going to depend on the transport. It would be because the mouse itself is faster and the drivers are better programmed.

I've still got mine too along with a G5 and G500. All three work great.
You can actually still buy the mx518 from Logitech's website.

I'm still using the G5 I bought to replace my MX510 when the right click stopped working. I plan to use the G5 till it breaks in a way I can figure out by taking it apart. Or I break it by taking it apart.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 2, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Where did the gamer aesthetic even come from, where everything is black and lights up, even the logo, especially the logo? In keyboard world there's a full gamut, from over the top to minimalist in both features and design. You can even get otherwise clean, minimalist designs that also light up like they were puked on by an anime unicorn. But it seems like the more features you want in a mouse, the more the styling converges on, well, the Razer look. I'm not trying to start poo poo here; I'm just wondering if there's a section of the market I haven't seen, or some angle I haven't considered that makes the strategy obviously the correct one.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kaschei posted:

A lot of early mice had really bright (in the visible spectrum) red lights. I think IR LEDs progressed to the point where mice could be completely dark but an acceptance and even expectation that mice would glow had developed.

As I recall a lot of Razer mice would glow green only, and a few mice would have versions with different but fixed colors. When it became affordable to replace these with RGB and match every conceivable case mod or BATTLESTATION aesthetic, well, why not?

And as far as shape design goes, all I can say is that things are better than the Saitek RAT era. But there are still designs that make me go "ew gross" even from big name vendors.

God, I'd forgotten about the rat. It really puts the stupid widows peak on the viper in perspective.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Klyith posted:

Now hook the leaf spring back onto the switch. This is the annoying part. I don't have a good method to tell you, it just takes me a few minutes of fiddling and eyestrain every time. Maybe tweezers would help?

Pro tip: do any fine tweezer work in an uncarpeted and relatively picked-up room. Tweezers have a magical ability to launch things across the room in ways that don't seem possible, and the carpet monster is always hungry.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is anyone else getting weird phantom clicks on twitter or is my G5 dying? I can't tell if it's only happening on twitter or twitter's just the only place where I make the right motions to cause it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's just twitter.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't use a mousepad because my mouse reads my desk surface just fine.